Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:09:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 94
Total: 94

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Early 20's. Really worried i have hep c, but I'm also paranoid. Coke straw.  (Read 13331 times)

Offline yahoo10

So my friend got hep c from sharing needles last year, and i have been hanging out with him a lot since then. I always get paranoid that i'll get it or may already have it but i haven't been tested. A week ago me and friends including him shared a coke straw. He only used it once at the beginning of the session. Of course i got really paranoid afterward and now i feel like i have symptoms. I have been pooping less since yesterday and its yellow colored. Even though i had mcdonalds, which could have upset my stomach. I really am worried because we shared the coke straw a week ago and now my stomach is acting weird. I also woke up more tired then usual. Please help
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:56:05 am by Hep Forum Moderators »

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
Re: Early 20's. Really worried i have hep c, but I'm also paranoid. Coke straw.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 07:25:43 pm »
The only way to know for sure is to get tested. See your doctor is my suggestion. I'm not sure if they have public health drives where they have free testing services where you live ( they do where I am from) but to be certain, you need a test.

It's a good idea to always always practice safe behaviours. Your friend has told you they have hep C. There might be others out there who haven't.

Good luck!
CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

Offline yahoo10

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 07:58:16 pm »
I just want to know what my stomach is doing. Is it due to my anxiety? It feels like i can't go but when i do its yellowish. Would i have symptoms of hep c as early as a week later?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:56:17 am by Hep Forum Moderators »

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 12:35:40 pm »
Hi Yahoo10,

Sharing straws to snort drugs is a known mechanism of infection for HCV. Although the risk is not as great as is associated with sharing needles, it is a high risk behavior nonetheless.

A good rule of thumb is never share needles, works or straws with anyone; period.

Best wishes, Mike

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:57:02 am by Hep Forum Moderators »
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline yahoo10

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 02:16:45 pm »
I get all that I'm asking if its likely I'm experiencing symptoms within a week of exposure. It feels unlikely but I'm paranoid

Offline byebyeC

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:32:02 pm »
Symptoms of acute infection are usually none to some mild itching. It would be unusual to have symptoms so quickly. But, everyone's different.

You should see your Dr. or free clinic for an antibody test. Period. Your bladder symptoms sound classic uti (urinary tract infection). That's not a hep c related condition. But would need antibiotics. One more reason to go to the Dr. or clinic.
GT 1a
VL BOT 7 M
Diagnosed 1980
Treatment naive
12 wk Viekira Pak Riba Started 9/7/15
Alaska 
Pre-treatment labs were ast 42 alt 33 vl 7,162,(eyes are light yellow now)
*Latest alt 19 ast 23! Yay! VL <15 detected

Offline yahoo10

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 03:51:43 pm »
Thanks for your reply. to clarify I'm not talking about bladder but going number 2. I have what seems like a stomach virus for the past 2 days. It changes color, but never like pale or grey

Offline byebyeC

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 03:57:07 pm »
Stool issues from hep c would cause a darker tarry stool. Not yellow. That's another issue you should discuss with your Dr. as that's not a normal stool color either.
GT 1a
VL BOT 7 M
Diagnosed 1980
Treatment naive
12 wk Viekira Pak Riba Started 9/7/15
Alaska 
Pre-treatment labs were ast 42 alt 33 vl 7,162,(eyes are light yellow now)
*Latest alt 19 ast 23! Yay! VL <15 detected

Offline yahoo10

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 04:33:20 pm »
If these were symptoms, if i did a test would it show up if i was positive for hcv?

Offline Mike

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 04:37:27 pm »
It takes about 6-24 weeks for the virus to be detected by blood tests. The time frame depends on the specific test and it's sensitivity.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 10:25:59 am »
Fear does strange things to the mind and the mind does effect the way you feel. Paranoia is not going to help things, your friend told you about being infected. Please do not worry too much about transmission if you did not engage in the highest high risk behaviors with the friend.

I define the high risk behaviors here in order of precedence;

1. Direct exchange of blood by the sharing of needles and or the content of a syringe

2. Extreme use of the same object that was very recently used by the infected person. This use needs to effect the mucous membranes to the extent that the protection is broken down. Example, the rough use of a sex toy till you bleed, the use of cocaine and other drugs with the same snorting tube until your nasal membranes are compromised. If you have had cracked lips from extreme crack pipe use. or whatever substance and you shared the pipe.

3. Rough sex that compromises membranes especially anal ones.

4. Sharing a tooth brush immediately after someone else that is infected.

CAUSES least likely to cause a transmission of the disease;

5. Sharing a towel or bathing and showering together

6. Sex behavior that is not rough.

7. Eating with the same utensils, (someone giving you food on their fork to try it out for example)

8. Gentle intimate behavior like kissing

As others have stated get tested when you can but do not expect to have signs and symptoms of HCV infection immediately or even for years if you did become infected.

All the best
Eric
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

Offline yahoo10

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 02:15:23 pm »
Thank you! i feel like the odds of me having it from him using a straw once is very low yet people still fear monger. Im still getting tested but my odds have to be low. Today is my 3rd day having diarrhea but no other symptoms at all. Hopefully its just a stomach bug? Does anyone know what might cause diarrhea for 3 days? it doesn't hurt at all just comes out broken up and lighter color

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 04:01:56 pm »
Thank you! i feel like the odds of me having it from him using a straw once is very low yet people still fear monger. Im still getting tested but my odds have to be low. Today is my 3rd day having diarrhea but no other symptoms at all. Hopefully its just a stomach bug? Does anyone know what might cause diarrhea for 3 days? it doesn't hurt at all just comes out broken up and lighter color

Worry is definitely a prime candidate. Either that or eating something at Sam and Ella's chain of restaurants! If you start vomiting and feeling violently ill get to a hospital please though.
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.