Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:38:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 102
Total: 102

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hep C complication-nail fungus, alopecia  (Read 13661 times)

Offline DeathtoHep

Hep C complication-nail fungus, alopecia
« on: September 23, 2015, 09:24:50 pm »
During the last two years Ive really noticed a lot going on with my health. Heart disease, high blood pressure, chronic fatigue etc. that can all be corrected with diet or curing of Hep C. There are two other symptoms that no one has been able to understand and was hoping someone here has some experience and can share on this topic. The two symptoms are Alopecia Areata and nail fungus. Both cosmetic and not considered serious. But I can definitely do without them.

I have done some searching on the internet and these forums. I have also seen a dermatologist, done laser nail therapy and talked to my hepatologist about these issues but no one has given me an answer to what is causing them. Yes alopecia is an autoimmune disease and we dont know what causes this but there may be a correlation between alopecia and hep c. Every site i visit and doctor I talk to has their own opinion saying either yes there is evidence linking the two or no its genetic etc. There is also a book called The China Study that talks about diet and autoimmune diseases which was by far the best evidence as to the prevention and cause of these diseases. But considering all the information out there I would rather trust someone who actually lives with Hep C to give their opinion.

Worse than hair falling out of my beard is watching my fingernails being eaten away by a fungus. I have used many topicals on this with no effect. I have paid hundreds in laser therapy which is supposed to be the fastest and most effective treatment out there. After a follow up months later, my doctor was surprised that the treatment had no effect.

My overall feeling is that my immune system is taxed from Hep C and as a result im literally falling apart. I just turned 30 and I get that some things happen as we get older but I have heard from doctors that at my age its rare to have so many things go wrong and to have the treatments not work makes me feel helpless. I am on Viekira Pak and yes there is a high chance I will get better. This is more just me being curious and forming my own opinion since you can only rely on doctors for so much and some are damn near negligent to anything you say to them. The government is worse and the scientific community doesnt accept new theories easily and disregards obvious evidence that should be made public. We need  to be proactive and push as hard as we can for a solution not just for these specific issues but for our health in general.

Anyway, leave a post if you have an opinion or want to generate ideas.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:27:54 pm by DeathtoHep »
2005 Interferon nonresponder
2015 Approved for Viekira Pak
Pre TX:    8/3/15   AST 36 ALT 64
WK 3 lab: 8/25/15 AST 21 ALT 35
WK 7 lab: 9/25/15 AST 17 ALT 18
EOT   lab:11/1/15  AST 17 ALT 14 Undetected
12WK post treatment: lab 2/10/16 AST 25 ALT 24 Undetected

Offline byebyeC

Re: Hep C complication-nail fungus, alopecia
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 02:33:40 am »
Hey there Deathtohep :)

You should still be under your factory warranty, at your age, for Heaven's sake!

I think your theory in your last paragraph is likely spot on. People have varying length of time from infection to onset of symptoms. This is a terrible assault on our immune systems and there're so many extra-hepatic issues. Links are being discovered as we speak as more people are treated and/or are going through the current clinical trials. Knowledge is exploding real time... For all of us, regardless of being in or out of warranty ;D , are going to have to go through some serious healing and physical regeneration post tx. We'll have to be extra patient with all of our symptoms taking their own particular time leaving the building... The liver regenerates (minus cirrhotic tissue) every 4 months. Then there're the other organs, vessels, systems in our bodies that will need to heal. Then we'll be left with anything non hep c related to deal with.

Hang in there. Try not to worry about anything you can't do anything about. (I know, easier said...) Be as patient as you can with the potentially drawn out recovery process and time. Be good to yourself. Keep coming here, where people truly know how you feel...

:) bye
GT 1a
VL BOT 7 M
Diagnosed 1980
Treatment naive
12 wk Viekira Pak Riba Started 9/7/15
Alaska 
Pre-treatment labs were ast 42 alt 33 vl 7,162,(eyes are light yellow now)
*Latest alt 19 ast 23! Yay! VL <15 detected

Offline beto

• "no risk it, no biscuit"
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 03:46:18 pm »
Very sorry deathtohep,

Sounds challenging.  All I can say is, there are a myriad of piggyback symptoms and illnesses that come with hep-C.  I have personally observed that for a lot of folks, many have observed them reversing after cure.  I can't even begin to name the annoying and often scary  co-illnesses and dysfunctions that have been ushered in with this doggone virus.  Anyway, you may find that cure brings improvement of the other stuff. Pulling for ya...

good luck my friend
HCV/nonA,nonB acute phase 1975
HCV detected active 1990
HCV persistent chronic diagnosis 1995
1995 liver enzymes mild elevations
1996 Biopsy F2 fibrosis
treatment naive geno 1-A
2000-to early 2015 Viral load 150, 000 to 800, 000
recent liver enzymes before treatment alt/ast 59to209,  Fibroscan F4,cirrhosis
start tx Harvoni 7/11/2015
6.5 week-UD-ast/alt 25/25
9wk-UD-ast18 alt23
10/3/15 completed tx
11/5/15 new fibroscan f0-f1 amazed
6wk EOT UD ast/alt 20/20
12EOT-UD-ast/alt19/21
25wk-SVR! 19/18

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 04:33:11 pm »
People with hep C have an increased incidence of autoimmune conditions. An oversimplified explanation is this is likely due to the fact that the immune system is in overdrive in order to fight hep C. Research show that autoimmune conditions that are caused by hep C will usually go away when hep C is cured. However, if hep C wasn't the cause of these problems, then curing hep C likely won't change things.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Viperwitch

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 12:26:41 pm »
You are not alone !! Now I too know I'm not alone with the same issue. I'm a non responder had a blood exposure while working as an EMT in Boston MA. 1987 got blood on my hand, sans gloves( private ambulance co.s were last to get gloves). 3 mos later I was sicker than I'd ever exp. in my life. Pain and the fact I was the color of Gouldings spicy brown mustard with funky yellow eyes. Sounds like I'm describing a monster you'd run from.
Hep nonA/nonB was the 1st dx. Doctors said I had beat it. 8 months later I signed off on my Workers Compensation case. Big mistake cause I got re diagnosed in 1990 and surprise Hcv 1a.  I've been to DC. 5 times lobbying for $ for research. After the horror show that was alpha interferon traumatized so I was told to wait for another drug to come along. 27 years later a possible cure. Awesome!!!  I'm on day 13 of Harvoni treatment so far so good. K nice to meet you all. I sure hope the secondary issues caused by HCV disappear.

Offline beto

• "no risk it, no biscuit"
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 07:14:22 pm »
You've got this viper witch and you are definitely not alone.  Some people don't get that sick during the acute phase, however, I got slammed and hospitalized.  Same deal with me and so many others.  20 years non a non b then 20 years of C a-1. Big bite out of a lifetime.
HCV/nonA,nonB acute phase 1975
HCV detected active 1990
HCV persistent chronic diagnosis 1995
1995 liver enzymes mild elevations
1996 Biopsy F2 fibrosis
treatment naive geno 1-A
2000-to early 2015 Viral load 150, 000 to 800, 000
recent liver enzymes before treatment alt/ast 59to209,  Fibroscan F4,cirrhosis
start tx Harvoni 7/11/2015
6.5 week-UD-ast/alt 25/25
9wk-UD-ast18 alt23
10/3/15 completed tx
11/5/15 new fibroscan f0-f1 amazed
6wk EOT UD ast/alt 20/20
12EOT-UD-ast/alt19/21
25wk-SVR! 19/18

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.