Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:48:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Scared of Treatment  (Read 10196 times)

Offline GreenEyzs5

Scared of Treatment
« on: October 08, 2015, 12:28:17 am »
I start my meds on Friday (Harvoni for 12 Weeks) I have to go to the doctor and do my first pill in front of him then I am on my own.   I have to be honest tonight I have been having feelings of fear of the unknown and what ifs,  I am fraid of not getting cured fear of another let down I have been on many treatments since I was 18  is this normal feelings to be having of fear and scared I am also fearing if any side effects thank you for reading I just needed to get this off my chest

Offline gnatcatcher

Re: Scared of Treatment
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 09:08:37 am »
Hi, GreenEyzs5 --

Your feelings are normal, especially since you have had other treatments fail. I've been following these forums long enough to say that most people who had previous unsuccessful Hep C treatment(s) are more anxious than most people who are on their first Hep C treatment.

Any new prescription causes me considerable anxiety. My hepatologist allayed my fears of taking Harvoni by telling me that its half life is only a couple of days, so if I turned out to be that extremely rare person who shouldn't stay on it, he'd take me off it and it would quickly leave my system.

My twelve-week treatment went by quickly and uneventfully. Harvoni gave me extra energy -- while on it, I felt better than I had in ages. Many others on these forums have also experienced the "Harvoni High," and we have been amazed by how quickly it gets rid of the Hep C. I wish you a similarly easy time.

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline hepboy1

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 10:49:06 am »
im so paranoid of  taking anything new it all started when I had an allergic reaction to a flower I picked and stuck in my mouth (didn't even swallow it  spit it back out  the effects were like right away(African violet)  STILL  had my wind pipe close in on me partly  had to ride it out struggling to breath  with no help for about 45 minutes then it let up    lol  so now im traumatized?   I just took the first pill  70 minutes ago I even cut it apart and tasted its nastiness to see if any signs of reaction  would come on me  nope just my nervousness as usual taking something new  im a hypersensitive anyway  so far so good  you'll do well  I got to take my first pill at home  im stage 4 cirrhosis   viral load 86 thousand   heps c  genotype 4   from on or around 91    dirty imported herion (I suspect) anyway the side effects  ar minimal from what ive read

Offline boo

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 06:23:58 pm »
hi, my name is boo...I've had hepC since 1972 and have been treated twice by the interferon and ribavirin combinations to no avail...I am currently taking the harvoni and have been doing so for 2.5 months...doc says he wants me to do the 6 month trial...I wouldn't hesitate to take them as they have minimal but uncomfortable side effects...I feel fatigued and nauseous frequently but nothing that stops my day...I can't nap but I do find resting helps...
it's fully understandable that apprehension about taking a new drug arises but it's really not anywhere as bad as the interferon...that was a hard row to hoe...do it and don't look back

Offline Mike

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 05:16:40 pm »
Hi GreenEyzs5,

The majority of individuals tolerate Harvoni very well, with no or minimal side effects.

This wasn't the case when Interferon and Ribavirin were the only options and 48 weeks of misery was the treatment course.

I would not fear this treatment. I would fear the ravages that HCV can wrought on your body, and, most notably, your liver. 

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline hepboy1

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 08:44:27 pm »
4 th day taking harvoni  so far so good  ,got energy I haven't had in many many months    mild head ach  nothing to worry  thus far  its working wonders glory to God

Offline boo

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 09:07:32 pm »
it's odd how different drugs affect different people...I find little energy and nausea as issues but not headaches...my blood levels after only 2 weeks have been normal and show no signs of the disease...10 weeks in and 14 to go...

Offline willie g

• geno 1 25million etc. s/o for treatment
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 05:50:02 am »
HEY GREENEYZ  don't sweat it.    Your ON a new JOURNEY for a good reason.life itself is all about doubts,alerts, dwelling etc. Especially when taking your life to a new place.( physically and mentally) you Definitely have Nothing to loose and Tons TO gain. Your going to read all kinds of different opinions,symptoms,excuses,pluses, minuses etc. Which is fine but don't travel someone's else's road, thier guidance is fine and its nice having others to share with BUT I can GUARANTEE this Stay Positive,be excited about getting this Snake out of your wood pile because it is a Snake ,and within a short period it will be a headless one and you will have no more fear of this controlling your life. SO TAKE THE VENOM   SMILE. AND ENJOY THE RIDE and Help Others,that will be your greatest Reward from this whole thing. REALIZEING "you" too make a difference in others lives going thru the same feelings and obstacles, I will pray for you, starting Now!   " Just will"  GatorFalls

Offline chino1969

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 10:48:14 am »
GreenEyeZ,
Your feelings are entirely normal.  Interferon/Riba failed to cure me in 2002.  12 weeks of Solvadi/Olysio relapse in 2014.  24 weeks of Harvoni in 2015, cured.  Hang in there.  You will be fine.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.