Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:22:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 96
Total: 96

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tested positive a few years back,recently tested negative and now inconclusive?  (Read 7529 times)

Offline confused10

Hi all, back in I 2009 I tested positive for Hep C. Doctor told me to wait until treatment options were better in the coming years and that my viral load was low and not severe. Now I went back to a liver clinic where they specialize in hep to get my bloods done again, (this was in April of this year)  and got a letter in the mail saying that I tested negative and that if I tested another negative I would have cleared the virus on my own. I recently went back to a different clinic 2 weeks ago and my test results came back inconclusive. So basically, a positive years before, negative and then inconclusive this year. Can anyone give me any insight on what this might mean?  Im going back in about 2 weeks time but if anyone has any ideas or could help in the meantime to rest my mind I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
If you are having the hep c antibody test once exposed to hep c we all will test positive even if cured for the rest of our lives.

If you are having the test for the hep c virus itself HVC RNA by PCR it is possible to test positive and then later test negative as about 25% of people can fight the virus off on their own.

I could help to understand what testing you are having and the results if you could get a copy of your results and post them here so we can help interpret exactly what you are seeing.

And yes there is a small chance of false positives. But I would also like to add hep c is a very slowly acting illness it takes many years to decades for significant liver damage to occur for most people depending on their individual circumstances so if you do have it it will become obvious with testing at some point. And today hep c is much more easily treated with better tolerated and highly effective medicines so even if you do have hep c you have nothing to worry about. 

This is a link to how hep c infection is determined

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hcv/pdfs/hcv_flow.pdf

good luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline confused10

Thank you so much for your reply! So if the most recent test that was inconclusive, do you think it might have shown up inconclusive because I might have cleared it but was once infected with the virus?

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Dunno I am not a doctor and I don't know what test you have had done. Was it the test for the virus the HCV RNA by PCR

My report says Not detected so I am guessing because you say the result was reported as inconclusive it may have only been the antibody test.

The only way to know whether or not you currently are infected with hepatitis c if you have had a positive antibody test is to have the test for the virus itself the HCV RNA by PCR.

Per the link I sent you that is the testing protocol
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.