Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:17:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 95
Total: 95

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 11 days left  (Read 7761 times)

Offline Kruger

11 days left
« on: October 17, 2015, 02:18:19 am »
Starting 10/17, I will have 11 days left of Hep C meds. The last nearly 3 months seemed like a year to me. My life has changed dramatically since day 1 and it has been such a good change that I'm almost grateful (I said almost dammit) for having Hep C.

Before the treatment, my life was pretty much ok. Now life is so much better. Well it will be after the meds are out of my system. Everything I do now is geared towards becoming more healthy. My diet has been significantly reduced for so long that I'm liking it. More fruits and veggies to compliment the real food is second nature now.

I look forward to enjoying life after this. Food will taste better that's for sure. My wife has been with me the whole time. She hasn't missed an appointment with me. She's been supportive to a fault. Our marriage has always been good but I believe we are as close as when we first met 40 years ago.

Yes, this disease has been great for me. I've come to realize that since birth, none of us get out alive. So optimism is a first for me now. Anyone that knows me will faint after hearing it.

So, my hope for all of you is that you relish this experience, as terrible as it seems.

This thing called life has taken on a whole new meaning for me and I hope for you.

Fight on warriors,

Jeff  aka Kruger

ps. more water has passed my lips in these 3 months than in my entire life previously. No exaggeration.

Offline Mike

Re: 11 days left
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 10:09:04 am »
Hey Jeff,

Congrats. You're almost to the finish line and well on your way to slaying this dragon!

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline MaryC

• Life is not a sprint; it's a marathon.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 11:03:49 am »
Starting 10/17, I will have 11 days left of Hep C meds. The last nearly 3 months seemed like a year to me. My life has changed dramatically since day 1 and it has been such a good change that I'm almost grateful (I said almost dammit) for having Hep C.

Before the treatment, my life was pretty much ok. Now life is so much better. Well it will be after the meds are out of my system. Everything I do now is geared towards becoming more healthy. My diet has been significantly reduced for so long that I'm liking it. More fruits and veggies to compliment the real food is second nature now.

I look forward to enjoying life after this. Food will taste better that's for sure. My wife has been with me the whole time. She hasn't missed an appointment with me. She's been supportive to a fault. Our marriage has always been good but I believe we are as close as when we first met 40 years ago.

Yes, this disease has been great for me. I've come to realize that since birth, none of us get out alive. So optimism is a first for me now. Anyone that knows me will faint after hearing it.

So, my hope for all of you is that you relish this experience, as terrible as it seems.

This thing called life has taken on a whole new meaning for me and I hope for you.

Fight on warriors,

Jeff  aka Kruger

ps. more water has passed my lips in these 3 months than in my entire life previously. No exaggeration.
Jeff,
Congrats to you!  Your post is so inspirational.  I can relate on many levels. 

I, too in some weird sort of way, am somewhat grateful that Hep C came into my life.  Initially...I saw it as a curse, but now know it is a wake-up call.   I now know I must live my life to the fullest and enjoy every day as a blessing.  Though I had a healthy life style before my diagnosis, I am now even more focused more on living well, keeping a positive outlook and reducing stress where I can.  I am very lucky to have a supportive husband (like your wife), family and friends.  I've been 'coming out', so to speak, talking openly about my diagnosis hoping to reduce the stigma associated with it. 

I am 31 days into treatment and expect to be cured.  I am very grateful for my meds and feel very lucky.  I am saddened,  however, for those who remain untreated and are struggling for medication approvals.  My hope is that the stigma is reduced, the meds become more accessible (and affordable) for everyone who needs them. 

Keep up the positive attitude!
Mary
GT 3a
Dx'd 4/15 not known when contracted
Labs 7/15:
-VL 537,000
-AST 32
-ALT 41
-Fibrosis score 0.46 (F1-F2)
Started tx 9/17/2015 with Daklinza + Sovaldi
6/6/16: 24 week EOT SVR!  Cured!

Offline Kruger

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 12:36:16 pm »
Thanks Mike, much appreciated.

MaryC,

You hit the nail on the head. It really is a 'wake up call'.
I was so excited the first 2 weeks of treatment. The next 2 weeks was becoming routine and boring with thoughts of "is it ever gonna end".

Then my 4 week labs came in with 'Not detected'. That was a shot in the arm for me. The next few weeks though brought me right back to the never ending part. I think it was when I picked up my final 2 week packet that it finally sunk in.

So hang in there with visions of the finish line MaryC. It will be here much sooner than you think. What will remain though is the journey. That will last a lifetime.

Good luck,

Jeff

Offline BillT

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 12:50:11 pm »
Well done Kruger.
Contracted 1973 Military
Diagnosed 1980
Pegintron treatment 2004 unsucessful
Genotype 1b
FibroScan 10 (F2)
Start Viekira 10.17.2015

AST 40 ALT 69
VL 440k
10.31.2015/Week 2 Labs : AST 14/ALT 17
No VL done
10.14.2015/Week 4 labs : AST 14/ALT 14
VL UNDETECTED!!!
12.11.2015/Week 8 Labs : AST 12/ALT 13
No VL done
01.05.2016/EOT labs : AST 15/ALT 13
VL UNDETECTED!!!

12 WEEK SRV:UN-BLOODY DETECTABLE !!!!!!!!

24 WEEK SVR:UNDETECTABLE!!!! Thank You God.

Fibroscan 6Mo. Post Treatment 7.15.2016-5.3(F1)

Offline Bree

• "Today is a good day for a great day!"
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 02:03:41 pm »
Thank you Kruger for your post.  Thank you Mary for your comments.

I am 3 weeks post treatment today and I am really grateful.  My treatment was relatively benign from many others with serious symptoms, nonetheless, I struggled with a few things (mostly in my head).  My overall theme was one of happiness and gratitude.... and readiness.

During treatment and afterward I feel more upbeat, more optimistic and more hopeful than I have in many years.  Not to mention my energy level.

It's the "smile at strangers" feeling.  I started a post called "Making the Most of Post" because I want to keep the positive stuff going and live life as best I can.  All the best to everyone!  Bree
Dx 1997 Geno 1a
2002-2003 PEG Intron/riba (48 wks) respond/relapsed
Pre-Harvoni - Viral Load: 13.5 M - Log 7.1
Fibrosure Score F1-2  Pre-Treatment:  AST 73 / ALT 88

7/6/15 Started Harvoni (12 weeks)
10/5/15 HCV NOT DETECTED (One week post EOT)
11/9/15 NOT DETECTED!!! (6 wk post)
12/21/15 NOT DETECTED (12 wk post) 
3/14/16  NOT DETECTED (24 week post)AST 26 ALT 18
SVR ACHIEVED!!! 
CURED YES!!!

Offline Cal

• Cal on Viekira Pak
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 05:58:25 pm »
Kruger,
Good on you. You've come out the other side very positive and happy. We are all so lucky. Cal :)
HCV 30 years. Geno 1A.
Veikira Pak with ribas on Compassionate Access.
Brisbane. Australia. began 21.8.15.
17 weeks.  Previous non responder 2011.
V/L 9 million
2 week V/L 54
12 weeks V/L UND
No 17 week  EOT V/L
EOT Post 4 weeks UND.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.