Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:44:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 72
Total: 72

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lab Tests Positive for HCV genotype 3a PLUS HBV surface ab test <3.10  (Read 9440 times)

Offline V.BiTheSea

Cannot see Dr until Nov 10 ~
If anyone has experienced dx of genotype 3a, would love to hear from you and see how you are doing.
I am new here.
Thank you
G3a
Contracted late 60’s-mid 70’s
Dx’d 2015
1-23-17 Fibrosis F0
             VL 270,340  Log 5.43
              ALT 62   AST 45
2-21-17 Started Epclusa  (Sof/Vel)
3-21-17  VL 113   Log 2.05
              ALT 29   AST 23
4-11-17   VL Still Detected
                   <15  Log <1.18
               ALT 30   AST 25
4-18-17   VL Still Detected
                    <15  Log <1.18
               ALT 30   AST 25

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Re: Lab Tests Positive for HCV genotype 3a PLUS HBV surface ab test <3.10
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 10:24:19 pm »
Welcome to the forums V.BiTheSea!

I was Genotype 3a. I probably had Hep C for about 45 years before being cured a few months ago on a 12-week clinical trial of Harvoni+ribavirin. For most of the decades that I lived with Hepatitis C, I was not overtly aware of it affecting my life in any way. My liver damage was moderate - F2. And that damage (fibrosis) is theoretically completely reversible now that the virus has been eradicated from my body.

Treatment was not particularly difficult. The ribavirin did cause temporary anemia. My problems came post-treatment (as they have for a number of other people here). But that is all cleared up now and I am feeling pretty darn good! :)

So basically - don't worry. You're going to be okay. A cure now exists for Hep C, and it's not a big deal to take it (although some people go through a big struggle getting their insurance company to approve it).

If you haven't had one already, you will probably need a test to measure your level of fibrosis. There are two non-invasive methods these days: fibrosure (a blood test) and fibroscan (a special type of ultrasound).

The officially recommended treatments for genotype 3 are:

Daklinza + Sovaldi for 12 weeks (no cirrhosis)
or 24 weeks with/without ribavirin (if cirrhosis)
OR
Sovaldi + ribavirin + PEG*** for 12 weeks
OR
Sovaldi + ribavirin for 24 weeks

Of those, the one you want (if you can get it) is Sovaldi+Daklinza.

My combo of Harvoni+ribavirin for 12 weeks will cure you too, although it is not on the "official" list, which is shown here:

http://www.hepmag.com/articles/2512_18756.shtml

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

kim
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:26:31 pm by KimInTheForest »
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline V.BiTheSea

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 12:05:39 am »
Thank you so much for your kind reply, KiminTheForest! I've been feeling so alone trying to figure out what the results of all these blood tests mean; PLUS my cognitive abilities seem to have abandoned me just when I need them most!
The one seemingly bright spot in all this is the results of the 'Fibrotest' with value of .25, resulting in F0-F1. I'm really hoping that I won't have to have a liver bx.
Am anxious to speak with doctor, esp regarding (possible?) co-infection with Hep B, which I am unable to verify from test results and which might make treatment more difficult.
All that I've read so far indicated that gt 3 is the most difficult to treat, and just today I read here of Gilead's new pan-genotype drug... How fantastic that you are already treated and cured! Thanks again and best wishes...
G3a
Dx’d 2015
1-23-17 Fibrosis F0
             VL 270,340  Log 5.43
              ALT 62   AST 45
              ALT 29   AST 23
                   <15  Log <1.18
               ALT 30   AST 25
                    <15  Log <1.18
               ALT 30   AST 25

Offline beto

• "no risk it, no biscuit"
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 11:05:10 am »
Bithesea,

Well you are not alone here.  This is the 1st forum that I have been a part of and I have been infected for 40 years.  Very familiar with that lonely feeling and stigma that goes with just carrying the virus, let alone living with fears and symptoms.

Kim gave you good information, we all must be proactive on this journey.  Hep C3 has only recently been considered hard to treat because of the new meds being more geared for GT1 (at least that is my observation).  Not too long ago GT1's were considered most difficult because of the poor track record of Peg/Riba for it.  I had a friend that was a 3 and was cured completely 16 years ago on just 6 months of Peg/Riba and crazily did not complain of the side effects that much.  I had not seen her in years and just ran into her three days ago...she feisty as ever. You are looking at much better, easier drugs.  It will be a piece of cake.  Or, at least a bowl of stew...hehe.

My acute phase was called non A non B...but years after that a blood test showed me to have B.  Then the whole C exposure thing happened and it was now known the nonAnonB was in fact C.  So I thought great, I have them both (the B test I had was a very specific test for B).  Soon after more tests, it turned out that I had C but not B.  I have always wondered about that.  Could be I had it and my body fought it off.

peace and welcome
HCV/nonA,nonB acute phase 1975
HCV detected active 1990
HCV persistent chronic diagnosis 1995
1995 liver enzymes mild elevations
1996 Biopsy F2 fibrosis
treatment naive geno 1-A
2000-to early 2015 Viral load 150, 000 to 800, 000
recent liver enzymes before treatment alt/ast 59to209,  Fibroscan F4,cirrhosis
start tx Harvoni 7/11/2015
6.5 week-UD-ast/alt 25/25
9wk-UD-ast18 alt23
10/3/15 completed tx
11/5/15 new fibroscan f0-f1 amazed
6wk EOT UD ast/alt 20/20
12EOT-UD-ast/alt19/21
25wk-SVR! 19/18

Offline TexasC+

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 06:00:29 pm »
There are several treatment options now. I am on week 22 of 24 on sovaldi and riboviran. I have done okay and hope to stay virus not detected.
The new drug daklinsa was not out when I started my treatment.
Drink lots of water and avoid anything that can damage your liver. Eat healthy and stay active.
Good luck!! YOU can beat this

Mary
Genotype 3a
diagnosis date 4/29/15
treatment naive
viral load 6 million
unknown date of infection
Sovaldi and ribaviron  24 weeks started 6/1/15
End of treatment date 11/15/2015 VND last 2 labs
3 month follow up 2/22/16 NEGATIVE !! NOT DETECTED

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 09:08:44 pm »
There are several treatment options now. I am on week 22 of 24 on sovaldi and riboviran. I have done okay and hope to stay virus not detected.
The new drug daklinsa was not out when I started my treatment.
Drink lots of water and avoid anything that can damage your liver. Eat healthy and stay active.
Good luck!! YOU can beat this

Mary

That's great that you just have 2 more weeks to go, Mary. The finish line is in sight. :)

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline V.BiTheSea

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 06:42:30 am »
I would like to thank each of you for welcoming me with such thoughtful and supportive comments... It is a real relief to have found this site... Nobody else can know what a mindf*ck it is to get this dx, and all that comes with it.

Still another week before I see the Dr for some ANSWERS ~ even if I don't get the best news, anything will be better than continuing this ping-pong match where the adrenalin of Fear challenges the malaise of Depression. Over and over.

Well, onto a more practical matter! Where can I find info regarding which insurance to (hopefully) sign up with? I just got Medicare in July and already bought a supplemental for that. Now what about Part D??? I wasn't going to even get it at all and just continue paying for my BP meds out-of-pocket. Ha! I would like to buy Part D insurance ~ do you think I should just call individual companies and ask them outright? I don't really trust them enough for that, so don't know where to begin. I know everyone here has enough to think about already but if there is someone who might be able to point me in the right direction it'd be great.
G3a
Dx’d 2015
1-23-17 Fibrosis F0
             VL 270,340  Log 5.43
              ALT 62   AST 45
              ALT 29   AST 23
                   <15  Log <1.18
               ALT 30   AST 25
                    <15  Log <1.18
               ALT 30   AST 25

Offline MaryC

• Life is not a sprint; it's a marathon.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 09:11:11 pm »
Welcome V.BiTheSea,
I, too, am GT 3a.  I was diagnosed this past April though unknowingly harbored this virus for years.  It seemed like an eternity before I was able to get in to see a Hepatologist in my area. 

Tomorrow I will complete week 7 of Daklinza and Sovaldi.  My treatment has gone very well.  While initially I saw this virus as a curse, I now see it as somewhat of a blessing bringing me closer with family and friends and helping me learn to live in the present and appreciate my life, my husband, my friends, and family. 

In terms of your Medicare Part D options, I am guessing you have already checked out https://www.medicare.gov/part-d/ for details on how to select and enroll in a Part D plan.  AARP might also be another resource for info.  You mentioned you recently purchased a supplemental plan, perhaps whoever assisted with selecting this plan might have some ideas as well.  In my area, there are always Medicare Seminars going on this time of year to assist folks with selecting plans (mainly I believe these are for Advantage plans, however).  You might consider attending one of these.   

Best to you!

Mary
GT 3a
Dx'd 4/15 not known when contracted
Labs 7/15:
-VL 537,000
-AST 32
-ALT 41
-Fibrosis score 0.46 (F1-F2)
Started tx 9/17/2015 with Daklinza + Sovaldi
6/6/16: 24 week EOT SVR!  Cured!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.