Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:01:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 112
Total: 112

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 18 days into treatment  (Read 10102 times)

Offline SOG

18 days into treatment
« on: November 16, 2015, 03:05:40 pm »
This is the first time I have ever gone onto a forum.  I don't even do Facebook, but anyway.  Briefly,  I am 60 years young and have had hep c 35 years.  Genotype 3, and after 3 denials by my insurance company, they finally approved me for treatment.  Don't give up on the insurance struggle if you are in it.  18 days ago I was tested with a 15 million viral load.  I am on my 18th day of treatment in a 6 month treatment.  First 2 weeks smooth sailing.  More energy than I have had for some time.  The last 3-4 days, slight side affects-little dizzy, nausea, fatigue...all very minor.  Will find out at the end of the month what my viral load is.  I expect it to be gone.  This was all God's timing.  Looking forward to being cured of this long time companion.

SOG

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Re: 18 days into treatment
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 03:27:08 pm »
Welcome to the forums, SOG. And congrats on starting treatment! What treatment are you taking? There are several available these days involving the new direct acting antivirals.

Feel free to post your treatment experiences, questions, side effects etc. as you go along.

best,
kim :)

Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 03:50:36 pm »
Hi, SOG -- glad you've found our forum community. I don't do Facebook (or any of the other social media) either, but this has turned out to be a great group of people, even if what brought us together isn't so great. May any side effects you get in the future be no more difficult than the ones you've had the last 3-4 days. (Mine were mild, too, and intermittent.)

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline SOG

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 04:05:14 pm »
Wow,
Thanks for the quick response.  I am on a 24 week Sovaldi/Ribavirin treatment. 
Below are my pretreatment figures.  Don't understand them all fully, but on Dec.1st, my first doctor visit since starting, he will probably explain.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks to both of you.

Below HCV FibroSURE
HCV FibroSURE Results:
Fibrosis Score 0.57 High 0.00-0.21
Fibrosis Stage F2-Bridging fibrosis with few septa
Necroinflammat Activity Score
 0.74 High 0.00-0.17
Necroinflammat Activity Grade
 A3-Severe activity
Analysis:
Alpha 2-Macroglobulins, Qn
 266 mg/dL 110-276
Haptoglobin 71 mg/dL 34-200
Apolipoprotein A-1 108 Low mg/dL 110-180
B
ilirubin, Total 0.5 mg/dL 0.0-1.2
GGT 22 IU/L 0-65
ALT (SGPT) P5P 124 High IU/L 0-55 is my pretreatment figures.

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 04:41:29 pm »
SOG, I'm looking at my FibroSURE results and comparing them to yours. Your results are better (healthier) than mine. We share the Fibrosis Stage F2, the Necroinflamm. Activity Grade A3, and Bilirubin 0.5, but on nearly all the others, your result is lower (better) than mine.

The most important result is the F2: it means your liver has very little scarring, so it should heal very well once the medicine has gotten rid of the HCV. Ironically, the good F2 result is probably why you got the 3 insurance denials -- a lot of insurance companies only want to pay for treatment if a person is a lot sicker -- at least F3, and some insurance companies won't treat unless F4 or the patient keeps pestering them all the way to outside review.

In short, things are looking very good for you: a relatively mild case of HCV to go along with your mild side effects. I think you'll be very pleased by your four-week lab results.

Gnatty

P.S. Kim, the forum spelling checker wanted to change "Bilirubin" into "Bribing."
SOG, Kim started a thread in the Off Topics Forum called "Auto-correct - gotta luv it!": http://forums.hepmag.com/index.php?topic=3531.0   We Heppers get our laughs in all sorts of ways, like seeing auto-correct suggest that our hepatologist is really a herpetologist. Since HCV is referred to as "the dragon," it kinda makes sense!
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline SOG

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 06:31:52 pm »
Gnatty,
What does A3 mean.  In my report it says severe activity.

By the way, thank you for the encouragement.

Rick

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 07:15:28 pm »
Rick, the grading goes from A0 (no activity) through minimal and moderate to A3 (severe activity). I've just Googled "necroinflammatory activity grade" -- the results are full of Medicalese, but one article (http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/410846_2) seems to indicate that the necroinflammatory activity grade, which used to be a big deal, is now thought to be much less helpful than the fibrosis stage. Excerpts:
"To summarize, clinicians should not take 'significant activity' as a surrogate marker of 'severe disease.' . . . Activity grade . . . is not a good predictor of fibrosis progression. In fact, fibrosis alone is the best marker of ongoing fibrogenesis. So far there is no study demonstrating clearly that activity grades are predictive of fibrosis progression independently of fibrosis stage."

Rick, as you know, your fibrosis stage is quite good. Now that you are being treated, your liver is on its way to becoming less inflamed. These new medicines work really fast, so your liver is probably already feeling the best it has in years.

I didn't happen to ask my medical professional about the necroinflammatory activity grade. Since you'll be seeing your doctor long before I see mine, please let me know what you learn.

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 10:50:24 pm »
P.S. Kim, the forum spelling checker wanted to change "Bilirubin" into "Bribing."
SOG, Kim started a thread in the Off Topics Forum called "Auto-correct - gotta luv it!": http://forums.hepmag.com/index.php?topic=3531.0   We Heppers get our laughs in all sorts of ways, like seeing auto-correct suggest that our hepatologist is really a herpetologist. Since HCV is referred to as "the dragon," it kinda makes sense!

That's funny Gnatty! I wonder who we're supposed to be bribing... ;)

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.