Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:37:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 85
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 70
Total: 70

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: was told 8 weeks/ sent 12  (Read 7108 times)

Offline just wondering

was told 8 weeks/ sent 12
« on: November 19, 2015, 04:32:08 pm »
I was told I fit into the 8 week percentage, yet was sent 12. When I asked why the increase I was told to just take them that it wont hurt. I have a Doctor that tells me nothing, lost my liver biopsy. I have not heard the result of any blood test taken through this all. I have less that 3 weeks to go. Not sure what kind of post this is, I am just wondering. I would love to post some type of info but to date have none. Frustrated
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:02:10 pm by just wondering »

Offline GLCII

Re: was told 8 weeks/ sent 12
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 05:07:41 pm »
Hi Just Wondering

If you were told that you were being put on an 8 week treatment but was sent a script for 12 weeks, look at it as a $32,200.00 gift. If you look at the stats posted in the thread linked below, you'll see that 12 week patients have a higher success rate than those on 8 weeks. I would do as the Doc suggested and take them.   ;)

http://forums.hepmag.com/index.php?topic=2665.600 
Pre Tx (VL 12043488) ALT 52/ AST 39
Harvoni Start Date 03/12
2 Week in Tx Results HCV RNA Detected, less than 15 IU/mL. ALT 19 / AST 19
4 Weeks in Tx Results HCV RNA Not detected. ALT 21 / AST 18
12 Week in Tx Results HCV RNA Not detected. ALT 17 / AST 19
--------------------------------------------------------------
Post 12 Week EOT Tx ALT 19/ AST 19 (Undetected)
Post 24 Week EOT Tx ALT 19/ AST 15 (Undetected)

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 08:38:28 pm »
just wondering, unless you have been having really awful side effects, you've won a lottery that some 8-weekers on this forum wish they could have won. Sure, your odds of being cured were already very high, but if you stopped at 8 weeks and ended up in that small percentage of people who aren't cured on 8 weeks, you might wonder if you would have been cured had you done weeks 9-12.

You have strong grounds for being frustrated. Your doctor sounds like the kind I don't go back to as soon as I'm able to switch to someone who understands doctor-patient partnerships (not that I'm suggesting you switch this close to the end of treatment).

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 09:23:25 pm »
Hi Just Wondering. Yes, I would consider that extra 4 weeks a gift.

As for your doctor not telling you anything... if it were me, I would simply insist on receiving print-outs of the results of all my lab work. Then the doctor and his recalcitrance become somewhat irrelevant. We all need to become our own doctors, really.

Or perhaps you are able to go online and retrieve the lab results yourself. Even when I have a doctor who speaks to me, I still want all paperwork on all tests run on my body. You can find out everything you need to know that way in order to understand what's going on in your body, and to make the best decisions. Most doctors can simply press 'print' on a terminal in their office to make it spit out a copy for you on some printer in the office. Or the nurse can do it once the doctor says 'okay'. Or you can ask if there is an online portal where you can download it yourself.

kim :)
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline just wondering

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 04:30:22 pm »
I can not express the gratitude I have for the kind people that took the time to explain some of this. You are quality people for sure. I will share just a little more. I had a March of this year, 2015 as I do every year. The Hep C was found. So I was treated almost immediately.  I also has all the symptoms of a throat cancer and that is why the test was so much more than routine. I also went to a clinic after 6 weeks and Hep C did not show and was tested for. It has been a whirlwind of a year. I will be done by Dec 12. with the pills. Then like all of us it is wait for 3 months I guess. I do wish the Liver Biopsy would not have got lost. I was curious to the results. Thank you again and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.