Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:54:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New here and just started sovaldi/riba...bad side effect.  (Read 8672 times)

Offline mtc

New here and just started sovaldi/riba...bad side effect.
« on: December 01, 2015, 06:25:40 pm »
Ok so I'm sitting in the er writing this. I was planning on making my first post happy.
I'm 39, genotype 3 and I've had it since at least 2001 from drug use. I'm treatment naive. My dr told me my insurance wouldn't cover treatment because I'm in all respects perfectly healthy. No damage done yet at all he said. VL 700k. I haven't had a drink or drug in over 10 years and I eat healthy so that's probably why. Well I prayed and they approved me the first try.

All was going great. I actually started feeling better after a few days. I could actually think clearly. I didn't even know my thinking was clouded!! But wow. It was great. No side effects that I was terrified over. I do drink a lot of water.

Ok so now why I'm here in the er. The other day I had some pretty bad rectal bleeding that scared the sh....hell out of me. It stopped after a couple mins and I thought it was from a hemorrhoid that I had treated last winter...but it happened again today so I came here. I read a few places where this has happened to people, though very rare, shorty after starting riba.

Does anyone have anything helpful to tell me please?
M
HCV 14ish years. Geno 3
VL 700k
Tx naive
11/26/15 started 24 weeks Sovaldi/Riba
Week 4 labs UND

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Re: New here and just started sovaldi/riba...bad side effect.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 12:52:08 am »
Hi mtc. And welcome to the forums. :)

Sorry to hear about your problem that has landed you in ER! I don't think I have any useful information for you on that score. Just wanted you to know we are here for you - at least as your cyber-support squad. Maybe someone more knowledgeable here will have some relevant information. It's good that you got yourself to ER. If it is a hemorrhoid, is it possible that it is unrelated to treatment?

Great to hear that your mental clarity improved so quickly. That's always a good sign. Mine did too. I was geno 3 also. Did 12 weeks of harvoni+riba and achieved SVR12 in october. so I seem to be cured. :)

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline HealthGal3

• Be Good to Yourself!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 09:04:04 am »
Hi MTC

Not sure what's creating the problem you have going on.  I will take a stab at this...sometimes an existing health issue we have may be exasperated by any kind of treatment.  It's kind of like having an Achilles heel.  I know that being on treatment, has made my cervical and joint issues much more intense.  I have pain & headaches from that everyday.  I'm hoping that will clear up in time.

See what your Gastro doc says and keep on the steady course and remember, all of us are in your corner! Right Kim?

HealthGal
HCV diagnosed 06/2005
Probably transmitted through blood products between 1980-1990.
10/2015 Fibroscan F4
10/2015 VL 5,487,456
10/2015 RNA Quantitive 6.74
10/2015 AFT Marker 3.7
10/2015 AST 35
10/2015 ALT 31 (H)
11/23/15 Started 12 Week Harvoni Treatment

Blood work 1/18/16
HCV RNA <15 IU/ml   NOT DETECTED!
HCV RNA <1.18 Log IU/ml  NOT DETECTED!
ALT 11
AST 18

3/7/16 4 Week Follow up after Harvoni treatment.
HCV (still) not detected!
RNA <15  -  <1.18
ALT 13
AST 24

Offline mtc

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:42:29 am »
Thanks guys!! Yeah so they think it's unrelated so that's good. They did blood work and everything is totally normal. I'm going to see my gastro this week.

But other than that little scare I feel great!!
M
HCV 14ish years. Geno 3
VL 700k
Tx naive
Week 4 labs UND

Offline HealthGal3

• Be Good to Yourself!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 10:18:38 am »
Glad to hear all's ok!

HealthGal
HCV diagnosed 06/2005
Probably transmitted through blood products between 1980-1990.
10/2015 Fibroscan F4
10/2015 VL 5,487,456
10/2015 RNA Quantitive 6.74
10/2015 AFT Marker 3.7
10/2015 AST 35
10/2015 ALT 31 (H)
11/23/15 Started 12 Week Harvoni Treatment

Blood work 1/18/16
HCV RNA <15 IU/ml   NOT DETECTED!
HCV RNA <1.18 Log IU/ml  NOT DETECTED!
ALT 11
AST 18

3/7/16 4 Week Follow up after Harvoni treatment.
HCV (still) not detected!
RNA <15  -  <1.18
ALT 13
AST 24

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 02:01:52 pm »
That's good news, MTC. Glad to hear it's not related to treatment.

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Cal

• Cal on Viekira Pak
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 03:34:44 pm »
Hi there,
Well that's great news. I have heard of someone on this forum with rectal bleeding. But I have it as well and it has been everyday through treatment. Mine is from a fissure high up inside the rectum from lichen planus. It's HCV related. I just look forward, like you to these things getting better or at least improving after tx. Good luck. Keep us posted. Cal :)
HCV 30 years. Geno 1A.
Veikira Pak with ribas on Compassionate Access.
Brisbane. Australia. began 21.8.15.
17 weeks.  Previous non responder 2011.
V/L 9 million
2 week V/L 54
12 weeks V/L UND
No 17 week  EOT V/L
EOT Post 4 weeks UND.

Offline Rubi

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 12:26:31 pm »
The side effects have been particularly harsh on me, but I have not had that. Thank goodness. Glad yours in unrelated to treatment.
F 59
GT 2
Started treatment 9-28-15
Solvaldi/Ribavirin for 12 weeks
ALT/AST was 74/48; now 17/17
VL 5.6 million down to 42

Offline Cal

• Cal on Viekira Pak
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 07:58:35 pm »
Hi Rubi,
What drugs are you on? How long. Can you fill in your profile signature and then we won't keep asking you the same questions.

What sort of side effect are you having that are harsh on you. You poor thing. Cal :)
HCV 30 years. Geno 1A.
V/L 9 million
2 week V/L 54
12 weeks V/L UND
No 17 week  EOT V/L
EOT Post 4 weeks UND.

Offline Rubi

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 09:27:31 am »
Ok, Cal. I found where to fill out the signature. Hope that helps.

I have almost every symptom on the list. Fatigue is the biggest culprit. But, when it hits it's like a ton of bricks has been dropped on me. My body becomes weak and trembly. I've fallen twice. Joint aches, chills, nausea, vomiting, blurry vision, teeth and gum pain/sensitivity, itching, brain fog....did I really say snerk the other day... what the heck was I trying to say????? I'm so weak that I can only be upright and moving for about 30 minutes at at time before I have to sit down. And, if I'm not leaning on something (shopping cart, counter top, etc) I can't make it that long. Insomnia, but I did get almost 6 hours of straight sleep last night. And, now my hair hurts. Feels like I have my hair brought back into a very tight ponytail.

I hate listing all that. I don't want to discourage anyone. There are many, many people who do not have all that. I have read and read and read about them. So, please don't let my symptoms scare you. I'm almost done with week 10 and while I have have had some low moments, I still have a very positive attitude. My numbers are looking good.  I was not undetected at the 4 week mark, but the Viral Load was down to 42. That's a lot of dead virus I'm trying to flush from my body. So, I will hold on for a few more weeks. Finish this treatment. Then start rebuilding my strength with some light exercises to start with.

F 59
GT 2
Started treatment 9-28-15
Solvaldi/Ribavirin for 12 weeks
ALT/AST was 74/48; now 17/17
VL 5.6 million down to 42

Offline Cal

• Cal on Viekira Pak
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 07:20:45 pm »
Hi Ribu,
Wow you have a lot of the symptoms that I do. I am sure it's the ribas. My hair hasn't hurt but it's tarted falling out again rats.....No not everyone gets the sxs we do. I do know a lot on ribas that have had these extreme sxs though. Post my last tx, I planked for a couple of years. I was so weak and my body just couldn't support me. SO I know what you mean. I am having it again post ribas as well. I am working with a physiotherapist now to rebuild my body muscle. But despite that there is an innate weakness there. Especially in my neck.  They stay in your body for up to 6 months post tx too, so it will take a little while to get back to normal. But you will get back to normal. Your numbers are great. You'll do really well. Good on you. Cal :)
HCV 30 years. Geno 1A.
V/L 9 million
2 week V/L 54
12 weeks V/L UND
No 17 week  EOT V/L
EOT Post 4 weeks UND.

Offline mtc

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 11:57:43 pm »
Wow Rubi, I'm really sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. I'm only 10 days in right now. Other than that other issue (high fiber and I seem to be fine) I've only had mild headaches other than last night I experienced the insomnia and a horrible headache but it was  manageable. It really scares me to hear the really bad  experiences.

Saying a prayer for you.

Cal,

Thanks for the support! So is there anyway to treat that for you?
M
HCV 14ish years. Geno 3
VL 700k
Tx naive
Week 4 labs UND

Offline Cal

• Cal on Viekira Pak
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 02:12:10 am »
Hi mtc,
I am hoping it's just a post tx thing. But I think when I se the pain clinic I'll check with them. Gastro's really don't know what to do with people with post tx sxs I'm afraid. Cal :)
HCV 30 years. Geno 1A.
V/L 9 million
2 week V/L 54
12 weeks V/L UND
No 17 week  EOT V/L
EOT Post 4 weeks UND.

Offline mtc

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 09:00:23 am »
That's scary. I'm sorry you're going through that Cal. On the bright you're UND!!!
M
HCV 14ish years. Geno 3
VL 700k
Tx naive
Week 4 labs UND

Offline Cal

• Cal on Viekira Pak
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 08:52:27 pm »
Oh Thanks mtc,
It's a bit scary more annoying really. I just wanna get on with it. Cal 8)
HCV 30 years. Geno 1A.
V/L 9 million
2 week V/L 54
12 weeks V/L UND
No 17 week  EOT V/L
EOT Post 4 weeks UND.

Offline Ahealthyliver

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 09:57:27 am »
I I just completed six months of those medications. At the beginning maybe the first week I didn't feel great, but with drinking a lot of water and just a little exercise I felt amazing. I was shocked at how easy the medication was on my body. After six months my viral load is undetectable and it started out at over 18 million.
 I think I tried to think I felt worse than I did. And that may be because I was on the interferon treatment years ago and I was comparing it to that. But anyway be positive and know that you're going to be healthy after you finish this up. But I cannot stress how much water you should drink congratulations on a new health...

Offline Cal

• Cal on Viekira Pak
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 01:52:56 am »
Hi Ahealthy Liver,
Well done for completing 6 months of tx. I just did 17 weeks. We're you on Viekira or Solvaldi and Riba?
Yes much better than interferon, I did that too. Yuk, bad memories. Let us know how you are. Fill in your signature profile and then we wont keep asking you the same questions. Keep posting. Cal :)
HCV 30 years. Geno 1A.
V/L 9 million
2 week V/L 54
12 weeks V/L UND
No 17 week  EOT V/L
EOT Post 4 weeks UND.

Offline mtc

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 09:24:54 am »
Congrats ahealthnewliver!!!

That's great to hear!! Yeah I've definitely had some of the sides not really I think it's a small price to pay. I got my 2 week blood test and I had highly  anemic so my dr lowered my riba from 1200 to 1000. I was definitely feeling that but it's been 2 days lowered and I feel much better now. The rage has pretty much gone now only mild low thinking and headaches here and there. Easy stuff.

Thanks for sharing!!
M
HCV 14ish years. Geno 3
VL 700k
Tx naive
Week 4 labs UND

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.