Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:11:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 157
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 108
Total: 108

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just found out I have HCV  (Read 7465 times)

Offline Rene Martin

Just found out I have HCV
« on: December 24, 2015, 09:06:23 am »
Good evening,

My name is Rene Martin, 58 y/o European male, non smoker, non drinker.

Some 3 weeks ago I had an acute pancreatitis caused by gallstones which were formed by too much bilirubin.  Last week my gallbladder was removed.

Analysis of my blood showed I have HCV Genotype 1A, which I most likely have had for around 4 decades.

I live in Thailand and have no health insurance.

My main question at this point in time is:

How urgent is it to start treatment, considering that I have no symptoms and as far as I know no cirrhosis either.

Offline gnatcatcher

Re: Just found out I have HCV
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 10:46:25 am »
Rene, welcome to the Hep forums. We have similarities: non smoker, non drinker, HCV for ~4 decades, genotype 1a. I, too, did not feel any symptoms, and my ultrasounds have been normal, but when a FibroScan was performed, it showed cirrhosis. (However, a different fibrosis test, the FibroSure, came up with a milder result.) The other clue that my liver was indeed suffering due to the HCV was that my ALT (SGPT) and AST (SGOT) had been rising in recent years and were way above the normal range. Have you had any of those tests? They will give you a better idea as to whether treatment can be postponed.

The good news for our genotype is that Harvoni has an extremely high cure rate and is, for most people (myself included), very easy to tolerate. The even better news for you is that inexpensive versions are available in several Asian countries. (There is more information elsewhere on these forums.) If you can possibly afford treatment, that is certainly better than making your liver work harder than it should have to.

Best of luck to you.

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline jakas

Re: Just found out I have HCV
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 11:18:55 am »
You can get generic medicine in Thailand for geno 1a which is imported from India or Bangladesh very easily.
M/57 yrs.
Contracted (Unknown) 10-20-30 yrs back ??
Treatment Naive
Geno 1a&1b
VL  17+ million
ALT 200+, AST 170+
Fibroscan F4 ( 26+ kpa ) on 8th Dec. 2105
Started Tx 11th Dec.2015 ( 12 wks. Gilead Harvoni)
7/1/2016 :Viral Load|<25 UND.
23/1/2016: ALT 34 , AST 35, ALP 143
8 week NO labs done
EOT:03.03.2016 ( 84 pills eaten )
ALT 26, ALP 124, BIL .54
V/L <25 UND E.O.T.
4 weeks E.O.T. V/L UND::: SVR 4
SVR 12 and  SVR 24 on 16/8/16
Fibro 24.5kpa 23/05/16
SVR 63 05/17
Fibro 17.03.2020 kpa 6.3

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.