Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:37:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 55
Total: 55

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Started Harvoni tonight, wondering about shaving, etc during treatment..  (Read 9135 times)

Offline HopingPraying

Hello everyone! I am brand new here. I was diagnosed with hcv 1a in 2011. My viral load is pretty low, in the thousands. I know that I was definitely infected roughly 14 years ago while having to (against my wishes) live with and share a bathroom with a very malicious relative whom admitted to using my razors behind my back, after also admitting that she knew she had hep c for years and just never bothered to say anything.

I turned down pursuing treatment the year that I was diagnosed, and waited for the new drugs to come out. I just started Harvoni tonight, and I have a few concerns that I want to just get off of my chest, that are SO out there, but they might really make you think.... I want to ask my doctor but I am so worried that they are going to think I have lost it! :(

I have a tremendously detailed thought process, and I analyze EVERYTHING. It is driving me bonkers wondering about things like shaving.. Using the same razor over and over- say, I nick myself and blood gets trapped between the blades.. Then when I use it again another day, aren't I just "re-introducing" more of the virus back into my body to take over? The same concerns fill my mind about things like nail clippers, shoes that rubbed the backs of my heels raw in the past, toothbrushes... I know, it sounds ridiculous, right? But I feel so concerned about something interfering with my success, that I am taking steps to avoid my worries. Disposable razors, new shoes, multiple toothbrushes. It sucks, but I don't know how all of this treatment works.. I only know that I have waited so, so long to get to this point, and fought so hard to get treatment. Now I am praying for success.

I developed pretty severe OCD within a year of my diagnosis, and that may be where those kinds of concerns actually stem from.. My whole life has become a fight and an obsession to keep people around me safe from contracting this monster. Everytime I get a cut or a scratch, the panic/anxiety that I experience is soul-crushing, and the time taken to clean up and ensure that there is no blood left behind, is outrageous. It has affected my life to such an extent that getting approved for treatment ASAP became an absolute must for my emotional/mental health and my quality of life. I am very fortunate that it has worked out for me thus far. I need to finally be able to put this behind me, and I hope and pray that I will be able to. Am I the only one that thinks about "what-if's" like this, though??

I wish everyone luck on beating this monster once and for all- We all deserve our peace of mind and quality of life back!!!

Diagnosed 2011
Infected about 14 Yrs. 1a
Began 8 weeks of  Harvoni 9/24/2016
** FINGERS CROSSED **

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Started Harvoni tonight, wondering about shaving, etc during treatment..
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 03:28:40 pm »
Although experts say there is no risk, many patients think about these things. One thing you can do is soak your razor for a minute in 1 part bleach to 10 parts water (more bleach won't make it more effective) - then let air dry. Stop when you are nondetectable, which should be around 4 to 8 weeks.

I think it best to comfort the OCD thoughts, since that is that part that causes us to lie awake at night - better safe than sorry.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline HopingPraying

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 04:26:55 pm »
Although experts say there is no risk, many patients think about these things. One thing you can do is soak your razor for a minute in 1 part bleach to 10 parts water (more bleach won't make it more effective) - then let air dry. Stop when you are nondetectable, which should be around 4 to 8 weeks.

I think it best to comfort the OCD thoughts, since that is that part that causes us to lie awake at night - better safe than sorry.

Thank you for your response! It is such a relief to know that I am not alone in these thoughts! I will definitely be doing the bleach/water mixture so that I can at least sleep better without a mind full of what-if's nagging at me! I really appreciate your reply!
Diagnosed 2011
Infected about 14 Yrs. 1a
Began 8 weeks of  Harvoni 9/24/2016
** FINGERS CROSSED **

Offline LightBeingAtLast

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 12:16:37 pm »
You are certainly not alone with your concerns about protecting those around you.  When I was first diagnosed I felt like I had to make a proclamation to all those I came in contact with that I had HepC...don't touch me if I'm bleeding without gloves.  Never use my comb, hairbrush, toothbrush, razor.  I gave birth to 2 children, have been married to my wonderful husband for 37 years. I had been living with this for 25 years before I found out.  I shared so much with my husband and children.  Did I give it to them????  After testing we found out that I did NOT give it to them.

Shortly after I was diagnosed a non profit in our area chose to create a community awareness program for HepC.  I contacted them and became a trainer.  I went and got accredited at a Train the Trainer course and shared my knowledge with community groups, individuals and at assemblies at our local schools.

Perhaps something like this is available in your area.  Knowledge is power...so much power!

Primarily it is a blood to blood transmission.  So sharing needles, toothbrushes, razors is definitely out.  I was worried about sexual transmission with my husband but since we are both healthy adults it hasn't been a problem.  I'm not so familiar with the HepB but I'm sure there is a wealth of info out there.  Educate yourself.
Knowledge is power.

I am a huge proponent of yoga and meditation.  Not club yoga, yoga as a personal, intimate practice.  Meditation will change your life and can help calm your fears if you stick with it.  It is difficult at first since our human "monkey brains" just want to keep chattering as long as we will listen.  There are some terrific free guided meditations online that take as little as 5 minutes.  I guarantee if you practice it everyday it will offer a reprieve from your OCD behavior.  It might not last longer than the time you are sitting for your meditation at first but it will increase.  The seat of your soul/being/whatever your belief, is where you can sit back and neutrally observe what is happening in your life.  You can find this place through meditation.
Good luck...hang in there!
64 yo female
Dx Oct 20, 2000
Type 1b
VL 32 mil
Liver biopsy 1979 nonspecific reactive hepatitis
Liver biopsy 2001 stage 1 of 4
Liver biopsy 2007 stage 2
Fibrosure 2015  stage 2
2016 August liver scan stage 4
9/3/16  began Harvoni. Treatment naive.

Offline Lilly White

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 10:13:00 pm »
I too had both of my kids tested. Really relived to find out that I didn't give them hepc. Just found out I had it this summer. I'm 10 days into my treatment with harvoni. I've been going strong many long days and lots of stress. Husband just fired a ranch hand which was upsetting and we fear for our safety.  We meditate with a group so are familiar with being the watcher. Thank you for the reminder light.
Started Harvoni 9/16/16

Scheduled for 12 weeks
GT 1a or 1b
ALT 120
AST 61
Fibrospect II   17
Treatment naive

Probably infected in the 70's
Both kids tested negative

Offline Mw2324

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 07:09:06 pm »
Hello,
    I also think about these things, you are not alone. I am on day 17 of epclusa. Call me crazy but I bought 7 toothbrushes, new pillowcases, new underwear, new towels and washcloths, along with 5 packs of disposal razors that I throw out after every use. I am paranoid about anything that may have had blood on it at one point. I know it's a little over board but it makes me feel better. It's normal to worry about these things. Good luck to you!
30 yr. old female
Infected in 2006
Genotype 2b
Pretreatment:
F0
Alt 28
Ast 30
Viral load 49,000
Started Epclusa on 9/9/16 -12 week treatment
4 week viral load undetected... ALT 19 AST 19
12 week eot viral load undetected...ALT16 AST 11

Offline andrew j

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 07:19:45 pm »
HP (and others),

I just recently cleared.
I have certainly been as anxious and fastidious about cleanliness as you [guys] seem to be.
As Lucinda says, it is best just to go with that, because in some way you are attending to, and thus respecting yourself - and respecting others / life.

I used to shave every 3 days - and gave my razor(s) a good soak - usually in bleach, but sometimes in disinfectant.

I didn't even think about my tooth-brush until I got one of those horror jolts (you will know what I'm talking about!) and gave it a bit of a sluice a couple of times!

I think that there is much more tolerance in these treatment regimens than we realise - esp. in 12 week-plus regimens.

I am noticing that anxiety in general - and specifically, anxiety around cleanliness etc. is slowly dissipating ...

Offline brie41

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 03:50:40 pm »
Hi,

Well I had to respond to this topic that I understand so well.  I was a bit overboard while treating.  I sterilized my nail clippers, combs, etc.  I was on 8 weeks of Harvoni and bought 8 toothbrushes to change every week.  Disposable razors too.  I am far more relaxed now if I get a cut.  Still cover it asap but I don't panic.  I just had to do everything in my power to give myself the best chance possible at clearing.  So best of luck to all who are still on your treatments.  Brie
Diagnosed  HCV, 1A 2006
Viral load 6 million
Ast/Alt always in the 20's
F0-F1, never changed
Treatment naive, started 8 week Harvoni 3/15/16
4 and 8 week labs undetected
6 week eot labs undetected
13 week eot UNDETECTED!

Offline Uncle Pizza

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 01:28:17 pm »
I had not thought about reinfecting myself until the Cigna nurse brought it up during our first call (Cigna has a nurse call me once a month).  Well, I went right to Amazon and bought a 12-pack of tooth brushes and a few packs of disposable razors.  I'm sure I'm overdoing it and wasting money, but if an extra $20-30 keeps me from having to deal with all of this again, then it's well worth it.

I think you're perfectly sane!
59 YO Male; Genotype 1a
Contracted 1970’s??  tattoos or rec IV??
Diagnosed 1991
2007: Discontinued 48 weeks of PEG Interferon/Ribavirin midway – never achieved 2 log drop.
Began 16 week Harvoni treatment 07/29/16
Pre-treatment: VL 3.8M. AST 34, ALT 49, F2
Week 4: VL < 15 detected, AST 22, ALT 18
Week 8: VL UNDETECTABLE, AST 24, ALT 20
18 Mos post treatment: All labs perfectly excellent!

Offline jakas

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 02:50:14 pm »
I did nothing really. Just used a new toothbrush each month and used a disposable razor which I changed once a week. EOT new regular razor and new tooth brush. No panic. ;)
M/57 yrs.
Contracted (Unknown) 10-20-30 yrs back ??
Treatment Naive
Geno 1a&1b
VL  17+ million
ALT 200+, AST 170+
Fibroscan F4 ( 26+ kpa ) on 8th Dec. 2105
Started Tx 11th Dec.2015 ( 12 wks. Gilead Harvoni)
7/1/2016 :Viral Load|<25 UND.
23/1/2016: ALT 34 , AST 35, ALP 143
8 week NO labs done
EOT:03.03.2016 ( 84 pills eaten )
ALT 26, ALP 124, BIL .54
V/L <25 UND E.O.T.
4 weeks E.O.T. V/L UND::: SVR 4
SVR 12 and  SVR 24 on 16/8/16
Fibro 24.5kpa 23/05/16
SVR 63 05/17
Fibro 17.03.2020 kpa 6.3

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 07:07:08 pm »
Changed my toothbrush at the normal American Dental Association recommendation time of 3 months of use that was it.

Did nothing else. I still have the same clippers. I didn't bleach anything except my white laundry.

Finished my 24 weeks of Harvoni May 2015 still cured.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 08:37:11 pm »
I didn't change my toothbrush nor anything else. Didn't worry about it for a second.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.