Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:54:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 126
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 68
Total: 68

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Insurance Companies' Coverage Criteria for Hepatitis C Treatment  (Read 10255 times)

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Joe NM

Re: Insurance Companies' Coverage Criteria for Hepatitis C Treatment
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 04:13:04 pm »
I'm still trying to figure out Express Scripts, if you ever find anything on them...They still cover Viekira Pak for everybody, no restrictions (if you have genotype 1). Up until a couple months ago they were denying all of my clients for Sovaldi unless they were F3-F4...but then they started approving everybody for Sovaldi and Daklinza...so no more discriminating against genotype 2 and 3? Sure hope this lasts.
HCV Case Manager
Type-1 diabetic
Connoisseur of battling insurance companies, and when that fails resorting to 'Sample Pharmacies' and sneaking insulin back from Mexico to survive.
Kindred spirit/admirer of all on this forum!
Here to help in any way I can!
EVERYONE DESERVES A CURE!

Offline FutureThinker

• Onward and upward!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 08:16:39 pm »
Thanks much, Lucinda -- excellent information.  FT
Treatment naive
Likely contracted mid-70s
Diagnosed 1a, 2011
F1-2
Harvoni X 12 weeks, completed 5/17/16
Pre-treatment: VL 3 mil, AST 64, ALT 84
4 week labs: VL 30, AST 21, ALT 14
8 week labs: VL UD!!!, AST 22, ALT 16
12 week labs: VL UD, AST 23, ALT 14
2 wk EOT: VL UD
12 wk EOT: VL UD, AST 22, ALT 13 =  SVR 12! Yay! 
Last hep appointment: VL UD, AST 19, ALT 12 = SVR 39! I AM DONE!

Offline Allen Cunningham

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 12:10:53 am »
Diagnosed 8/97 with HepC
Liver Transplant 7/2004
Genotype 1b, Biopsy:12/2015: F-0, Slight Inflammation, TX Naive
v/l: ~600,000 - ~1,000,000 ALT: 26, AST: 26
Starting 12 wks Harvoni in Jan 2016

I have Medicare with Tricare using Express Scripts. I was OK'd for 12 weeks Harvoni with no copay's even though no fibrosis.

I think post-transplant patients are near the top of the list per AASLD criteria

Offline malou

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 09:43:07 pm »
 Joe in NM, I am also in NM.  I was told last Friday that there was no way Express Scripts would ever cover me for treatment, since I had no fibrosis and my labs were so good.  Well according to my guestimate, I think I have had it since 1996.  Lucky that I am not having problems, but still I wanted to treat it.

So, about a month ago, I ordered Twinvir from Bangladesh and paid $1440 for it.  Started on the 1st.  I must say that I am having absolutely no side effects, but am feeling wonderful.  All symptoms of arthritis and fatigue are gone.  I am swimming and hiking daily and have no pain when I wake up.  I was taking either Ibuprofen or Vicodin for my pain at night, but have not taken anything since the first of January.

Since I had two insurances (BSBC and Champva) I am canceling the BCBS tomorrow and in June I will qualify for Medicare.  The $300 per month that I pay for BCBS will almost cover the cost of Twinvir.  And, I understand that Twinvir is going down to $1040 at the end of January for anyone interested.  ML
HCV 1996- Work Exposure ER nurse
GT 1a
Non-responder to Interferon in 1997
ALT 73 AST 21 F1-2
Applied to Insurance for Harvoni 12-15
Denied 12-3-15  Told I would never qualify for Harvoni because I was not 'ill'.
Started Twinvir (Bengladesh Harvoni) on 1/1/16

After 4 weeks ALT 23, AST 15, HCV-RNA UNDETECTED
After 8 weeks:AST 23, AST 11, HCV RNA UNDETECTED
6 weeks post treatment, undetected.

Offline Allen Cunningham

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 04:25:32 pm »
Diagnosed 8/97 with HepC
Liver Transplant 7/2004
Genotype 1b, Biopsy:12/2015: F1, TX Naive
v/l: ~600,000 - ~1,000,000 ALT: 26, AST: 26
Starting 12 wks Harvoni in Jan 2016

Malou - So glad to hear you are getting treatment and feeling so good! What is Twinvir? Is it a generic version of Harvoni or Sovaldi? Do Hepatologist's and Gastro's recommend it?

I saw my Hepatologist today at UC San Fran, and I was worried she was going to put me on Harvoni plus Ribo since I am post-transplant, however she said I could start with Harvoni and they will do Virus levels every two weeks to make sure the virus level is dropping nicely, if not I might have to go on Ribo.

I just took my first Orange Diamond shhaped pill 10 minutes ago, it's quite a beautiful pill, however it doesn't look like $1125.00 worth!

Offline malou

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 09:25:26 pm »
Twinvir is the Bangladeshi form of Harvoni which contains Ledipasvir 90 mg and Sofosbuvir 400 mg.  It has been tested in Australia and found to be 99.9% pure (just like any medication manufactured in the US).  The Rx from my hepatologist was for Ledispasvir 90 mg and Sofosbuvir 400 mg, 1 tablet daily for 12 weeks.  Mine had a total cost of 1400 plus $40 shipping, and I believe that comes to about $17 per pill.  Since my insurance has refused any treatment, stating that I am not 'ill enough" even though I have had the virus since 1996, I had no other options.  Ml
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:31:47 pm by malou »
HCV 1996- Work Exposure ER nurse
GT 1a
Non-responder to Interferon in 1997
ALT 73 AST 21 F1-2
Applied to Insurance for Harvoni 12-15
Denied 12-3-15  Told I would never qualify for Harvoni because I was not 'ill'.
Started Twinvir (Bengladesh Harvoni) on 1/1/16

After 4 weeks ALT 23, AST 15, HCV-RNA UNDETECTED
After 8 weeks:AST 23, AST 11, HCV RNA UNDETECTED
6 weeks post treatment, undetected.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.