Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:50:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 119
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 80
Total: 80

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Need advice  (Read 9480 times)

Offline Worriedmale2016

Need advice
« on: February 04, 2016, 09:23:38 am »
On sat I shared key with a stranger to snort cocaine how much of a risk is this and do I need to test if I do need to test when should I

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Need advice
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 11:45:22 am »
It's what we call a "theoretical risk" - The findings have been wildly inconsistent, and we don't have solid documentation of anyone having contracted hep C in this way. However, since there is a potential for blood-to-blood contact, it is possible.
I suggest you get an antibody test in about 6 months. It will ease your mind. And if you continue to use drugs, don't share. https://www.hepmag.com/basics/hepatitis-c-basics/hepatitis-c-prevention
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Worriedmale2016

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 07:21:09 pm »
I'm not really on drugs just a mistake, so it's basically like saying u can get hep c from sharing a pipe or a cigaratte

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:03:28 pm »
If both people have bleeding gums, that could be true. People who have Hep C are urged not to share toothbrushes because of the bleeding gums scenario.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Worriedmale2016

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 07:09:22 pm »
So should I be worried should I be looking for any symptoms, and is there any test that I can take sooner

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 07:38:36 pm »
Symptoms take years to show up, and taking the antibody test too soon can be inaccurate. Lucinda really knows her stuff. If you could take some other test sooner, she would have said so. The antibody test is what we all got.

Lucida calls your risk "theoretical" because it is highly unlikely that what you did last Saturday has given you Hep C. Her advice to get an antibody test in about 6 months to ease your mind is excellent advice.

Just for perspective, I had Hep C for almost 44 years and have been married for nearly that long, yet my spouse doesn't have it even though I occasionally used the wrong toothbrush because of absent-mindedness.

Wishing you peace.

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Worriedmale2016

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 07:54:48 pm »
Thank you guys

Offline NYCHEPCMAN

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 07:56:29 pm »
Sounds extremely low risk. I'd wait until my regular physical and just ask to add it when doing cbc.
GT 1b
VL 1,237,287
Diagnosed November 2015
alt 66 ast 35
F2 fibrosure
2/3/16 Started 12 weeks Viekira
Week 4: Hep C virus by PCR   <1.18 NOT detected, <15 not detected IU/Ml AST 18, ALT  25

Offline Worriedmale2016

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 07:58:23 pm »
Is there an at home test for hep

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 08:03:13 pm »
Although you have virtually no risk, it sounds like you need reassurance. Contact Help4Hep to find out about testing: http://www.help4hep.org/ 877‑HELP‑4‑HEP There are a couple of options, including Walgreen's
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Worriedmale2016

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 10:13:35 pm »
so my anxiety of hep c is back lately my urine has a lot of bubbles can this be a sign of hep c

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 09:40:37 am »
so my anxiety of hep c is back lately my urine has a lot of bubbles can this be a sign of hep c
There really are no early signs of HCV infection. Testing unfortunately is not routinely done, but it should be because the antibody test is not a huge expense. The routine is if you show a positive antibody test then it is repeated to ascertain certainty of exposure to the virus. However this does not mean that you have acquired the disease all it means is that your body has developed antibodies for HCV.

If you test positive for the antibodies twice then it is time to ascertain if you have a viral load and if the virus is detectable. Again this test is usually repeated over a period of time. Over 25 percent of those who have an infection exposure clear the virus naturally with their immune system and never have any symptoms occur. The symptoms take years and are manifest in slow low grade flu like symptoms that are hard to quantify. So essentially HCV is very hard to diagnose from a symptom basis and until the disease progresses to liver damage little effects from the disease are evident in most people.

Yes get tested, especially if you put yourself at risk but casual contact with those who have HCV is not a concern.

The behaviour you describe is low risk but if you have done this over the years on more than one occasion then getting tested is a very good idea.

As for bubbles in the urine, if you have changed your diet or eaten some foods that can cause the viscosity of your urine to change then it should only be temporary. For a good laugh eat a whole jar of good old pickled beets and then watch what happens to the pee stream.

Cheers
Eric
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.