Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:29:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 98
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 91
Total: 91

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: High risk exposure to menstrual blood. Very Stupid  (Read 10091 times)

Offline gege125

High risk exposure to menstrual blood. Very Stupid
« on: February 09, 2016, 02:10:28 am »
Hello,
My girlfriend has Hep C and is on treatment. I was having sex with her even though I was having a HSV-2 outbreak ( She has that too). My outbreak was very mild so I did not feel the sores or pain ( but the sores were visible) and proceeded to have sex with her. When we were done, I was surprised to see my penis covered with a lot of blood ( like literally crazy amount, I stopped seeing my skin on some areas). She made a mistake in calculating her period time and I made a stupid mistake of having sex with her during my herpes outbreak when the doctor told me to avoid that or use a condom. Is there a chance that I did not get it? Blood on sores and in mucous membrane ( urethra). This sounds like a guaranteed infection to me. Any advice is great
Thanks 

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: High risk exposure to menstrual blood. Very Stupid
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 03:09:22 am »
http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hcv/cfaq.htm#cFAQ32

CDC Hepatitis C FAQ's for the general public

Transmission / Exposure

How is Hepatitis C spread?

Hepatitis C is usually spread when blood from a person infected with the Hepatitis C virus enters the body of someone who is not infected. Today, most people become infected with the Hepatitis C virus by sharing needles or other equipment to inject drugs. Before 1992, when widespread screening of the blood supply began in the United States, Hepatitis C was also commonly spread through blood transfusions and organ transplants.

People can become infected with the Hepatitis C virus during such activities as

Sharing needles, syringes, or other equipment to inject drugs
    Needlestick injuries in health care settings
    Being born to a mother who has Hepatitis C

Less commonly, a person can also get Hepatitis C virus infection through

Sharing personal care items that may have come in contact with another person’s blood, such as razors or toothbrushes
Having sexual contact with a person infected with the Hepatitis C virus

Can Hepatitis C be spread through sexual contact?

Yes, but the risk of transmission from sexual contact is believed to be low. The risk increases for those who have multiple sex partners, have a sexually transmitted disease, engage in rough sex, or are infected with HIV. More research is needed to better understand how and when Hepatitis C can be spread through sexual contact.

From another link:

Q: I have herpes. I had sex someone who has Hep C. It was unprotected. Does that mean I have the virus?
A: The risk of transmission of hepatitis C through sexual intercourse is increased when a sexually transmitted disease is present. The only way to know if you've been infected with hepatitis C is to be tested.

From another link:

Is Hepatitis C Transmitted Sexually?
Yes. It is recommended that all patients having sex with multiple partners use a condom and spermicide. However, since the risk is felt to be low, patients in a single partner relationship need to use a barrier method only if they have genital sores, active bleeding, or are anxious and concerned about transmission. However, it is strongly recommended that men or women with hepatitis C who have sores in the genital area should avoid sexual contact. Anal intercourse or intercourse causing minor trauma or bleeding or during menstrual periods has a higher risk, and barrier protection is recommended.

The only good news I have is that she is on treatment and likely has a low to not detected viral load so there is less virus or possibly no virus to be transmitted.

You will need to wait 6 months and be tested for antibodies to hep c if you are positive for antibodies to hep c you will next test for the hep c virus itself. If that is positive you should then be treated.

I would suggest you use barrier protection to avoid the risk of reinfecting one another until you are both clear of hep c.

At least for the next 6 months until you can be tested to see if you are infected and if you do need treatment until 12 weeks after you have completed treatment.

Good luck to you both
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Joe NM

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 04:39:23 pm »
How long has she been on treatment??? Usually by week 4 the virus is undetectable in the blood and EXTREMELY unlikely to transmit to anyone no matter what 'risky behavior' has happened. Also I'm not sure where the science is about whether HCV is found in menstrual blood? Anybody know? In any case, it's better to be sure than to worry, so get a test...Department of Health offices can usually offer a test for free, or if you have a regular doctor you can ask for it...or even the doctor where she is being treated, they may offer tests to partners.
HCV Case Manager
Type-1 diabetic
Connoisseur of battling insurance companies, and when that fails resorting to 'Sample Pharmacies' and sneaking insulin back from Mexico to survive.
Kindred spirit/admirer of all on this forum!
Here to help in any way I can!
EVERYONE DESERVES A CURE!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 06:00:35 pm »
Treatment or no treatment, your risk is probably low, but the fact that she is on hep C treatment reduces the likelihood of transmission.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline beto

• "no risk it, no biscuit"
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 08:06:29 pm »
what Lucida said...and I would say don't stress.  As over the top as your situation sounds to you, I believe it is much more likely you are OK.  Yes down the road you should get checked.  However, for starters, you have a 15 to 25 % chance of clearing the virus if in fact you had an open lesion and a fair amount of blood was absorbed into from your partners menses.  This type on transmission is not like mainlining someone elses blood through injection, transfusion or organ transplant.  You have a line of defense your immune system.  Then there is the factor of your partners viral load being likely very low or non existent...as pointed out by Joe.  If god forbid you did become infected, there is a cure and you will have a long grace period because it is a slow moving virus and for many...they never knew they even had it.  Good luck...stress is your worst enemy right now.  No judgement on this site, so hang out and let us know how you and your partner are doing...peace.  Oh BTW...I am just a schmo that "had" hep c and of course not a doctor.  Go to your doc and tell him whats up.
HCV/nonA,nonB acute phase 1975
HCV detected active 1990
HCV persistent chronic diagnosis 1995
1995 liver enzymes mild elevations
1996 Biopsy F2 fibrosis
treatment naive geno 1-A
2000-to early 2015 Viral load 150, 000 to 800, 000
recent liver enzymes before treatment alt/ast 59to209,  Fibroscan F4,cirrhosis
start tx Harvoni 7/11/2015
6.5 week-UD-ast/alt 25/25
9wk-UD-ast18 alt23
10/3/15 completed tx
11/5/15 new fibroscan f0-f1 amazed
6wk EOT UD ast/alt 20/20
12EOT-UD-ast/alt19/21
25wk-SVR! 19/18

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.