Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:23:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 102
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 71
Total: 71

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: okay to use whey protein powder with Harvoni?  (Read 9400 times)

Offline brie41

okay to use whey protein powder with Harvoni?
« on: March 15, 2016, 08:46:39 am »
Hi All,

My Doctor put me on a strict schedule so I am now starting harvoni this evening.  I forgot to ask about whey protein.  Do you think it is okay to use while on treatment?  She recommended I drink 80 oz. of water a day.  Do most of you space it out throughout the day?  She said if I drink enough water and take the med with food there will be no side effects.  I explained that some people are experiencing many different sides, but she didn't seem to agree.   I found that a bit frustrating, so in the event I am having problems at least I have you all to lean on!  So I will be checking back in very soon.  Just hope I can keep my anxiety under control.  I am trying to think positive and relax as much as possible.  Have a great day!  Brie
Diagnosed  HCV, 1A 2006
Viral load 6 million
Ast/Alt always in the 20's
F0-F1, never changed
Treatment naive, started 8 week Harvoni 3/15/16
4 and 8 week labs undetected
6 week eot labs undetected
13 week eot UNDETECTED!

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: okay to use whey protein powder with Harvoni?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 09:10:07 pm »
There is nothing I have seen about whey protein and hep c meds. However if you have advanced liver disease a high protein can be a problem as it can contributors to hepatic encephalopathy and other complications of cirrhosis.

I am assuming you don't have advanced liver disease so it should not be an issue just ask your doctor or pharmacist to be sure. You can also contact the Harvoni help line they have 24 hour nurses on call for information.

http://www.mysupportpath.com/help-along-the-way
Providers and patients can call 1-855-7-MYPATH (1-855-769-7284) for assistance

And yes space out that fluid intake over the day.

Good luck with treatment

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:52:54 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Forest dweller

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 07:49:51 pm »
Hi Brie
I found that when I stopped dairy and high protein drinks/food, my Harvoni high kicked in...I've been eating a pretty  loose vegan diet the last two weeks  I did that because I had side effects..veggies, fruit not juice, broths are what I'm doing now...feel great..like my liver is cleaning out .
FD

Offline brie41

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 07:16:40 pm »
Hi,

I researched it out a bit and decided to skip it in my smoothies.  I think less is more right now and especially with only doing 8 weeks I want to do every thing right.  You are right Lynn I am f1.  Forest dweller, I will try to get that high, I think I have had glimpses of it!  I am trying very hard to not to let my anxiety get the best of me and take it one day at a time.  Brie
Diagnosed  HCV, 1A 2006
Viral load 6 million
F0-F1, never changed
13 week eot UNDETECTED!

Offline J.R.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 10:08:49 pm »
Brie,
Glad to see you' re on your way to being free of the C.  Today marks the 1/2 point of my 8 week journey. To make sure I drink ~ 80 oz of water, I use a 40 oz sports bottle. I try to have the first one done by 2 pm. I up around 7 am.  The second bottle I try and finish a couple hours before bedtime so not waking up mid sleep to relieve self.  Personally, one benefit I found taking Harvoni is my sleep has gotten better.  And dont feel tired during daytime.  Before tx about 1-2 hours before work ended I was dr a gging and felt I needed a nap. Not anymore.  Hope your journey will be uneventful as mine has been so far. Also, I' ve avoided any supplements. Dont want to jeopardize this gift we've been given
Contracted-mid 80s
Diagnosed- 2008
Treatment Naive
AST-34 (01-16 test)
ALT- 71 (01-16 test)
VL-4.1 mil (01-16 test)
GT- 1a
Fibrosure-0.33 (F1-F2)
Harvoni tx start 2/20/16
HCV RNA Quant- undetected (3-7-16)
AST-16. ALT-30 (3-7-16)
AST-19. ALT-39 (3-21-16)
HCV RNA  Quant- undetected (3-21-16)
AST-17, ALT-38 (4-1-16)
HCV RNA- Undetected (4-1-16)

EOT-4-15-16
HCV  RNA- UNDETECTED
AST- 21  ALT- 42

4 wk EOT (5-13-16)
HCV- undetected
AST-17  ALT- 36

Offline brie41

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 08:03:45 am »
Hi J.R,

Thank you and so glad to hear you are doing great and half way through.  I am hoping I will stay the same too.  I have been drinking 5 or 6 16 oz. bottles of water, but I should buy a water bottle instead.  I slept well last night and hopefully the other night was just from not feeling well.  I find if I eat a lighter meal at dinner I feel better.  I am so grateful to have all of you and hope I can help others down the line as well.  Have a great day! Brie
Diagnosed  HCV, 1A 2006
Viral load 6 million
F0-F1, never changed
13 week eot UNDETECTED!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.