Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:07:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 113
Total: 113

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Will fatigue go away after treatment?  (Read 9717 times)

Offline Axl86

Will fatigue go away after treatment?
« on: March 31, 2016, 09:09:48 am »
I know this is probably been answered but I couldn't find it and I have to be to class soon.  I have genotype 2 and just started 2nd treatment (I messed up my first one by not taking the whole 12 weeks of meds like a dummy, and it went undetected but came back). So my doc is now putting me on declaratisvir, solvadi, and ribo for 6 months.  Only symptom I have from hcv is fatigue.  Will it go away once cured ?  Not talking med related fatigue but the actual fatigue from virus. 

Offline gnatcatcher

Re: Will fatigue go away after treatment?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 01:11:55 pm »
Axl86, welcome! While no two people respond identically, getting rid of the HCV should get rid of the debilitating fatigue caused by the virus. This may not happen right away -- some people (myself included) needed extra sleep for a while once treatment was over (we have been speculating that our immune systems seem to need time to adjust to the absence of the virus and the absence of the medications), but I am one of many people on these forums who are finding we get a lot more done than we could do before we were cured. Best of luck to you.

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline BillT

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 02:15:27 pm »
I'm starting to get my energy back slowly.I'm not going to tell anyone though.I wouldn't want all my friends that have been helping me think they weren't needed anymore,and have to find something else to do.Don't be selfish and just think about yourself.Remember that there are others depending on you. :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 02:21:40 pm by BillT »
Contracted 1973 Military
Diagnosed 1980
Pegintron treatment 2004 unsucessful
Genotype 1b
FibroScan 10 (F2)
Start Viekira 10.17.2015

AST 40 ALT 69
VL 440k
10.31.2015/Week 2 Labs : AST 14/ALT 17
No VL done
10.14.2015/Week 4 labs : AST 14/ALT 14
VL UNDETECTED!!!
12.11.2015/Week 8 Labs : AST 12/ALT 13
No VL done
01.05.2016/EOT labs : AST 15/ALT 13
VL UNDETECTED!!!

12 WEEK SRV:UN-BLOODY DETECTABLE !!!!!!!!

24 WEEK SVR:UNDETECTABLE!!!! Thank You God.

Fibroscan 6Mo. Post Treatment 7.15.2016-5.3(F1)

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 05:24:19 pm »
Bill, yep, that's the flip side of "It is more blessed to give than to receive" -- you're giving others the gift of getting blessed by giving you help ;)
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 12:34:51 pm »
3 years ago I was completely out of work and could not work hard physically for more than a hour or two at a time without fatigue setting in that took longer in recovery. Essentially my liver over the course of decline to cirrhosis could not keep up with the demands upon my metabolism made by hard physical work.

I can easily see why those who do not do hard physical work are less likely to associate HCV with reduced productivity. But you do lose your ability to focus mentally when cirrhosis starts to effect your metabolism but it only becomes serious when the so called "brain fog" that HCV creates with chemical instability in the blood stream starts to effect the brain and you start to experience hepatic encephalopathy.

I started to lose my ability to concentrate and had to remove myself from the road for periods of time because of brain fog.

I am one year post treatment and am now working cooking for a seniors facility in ten hour shifts without developing fatigue. But it took me over six months post treatment to start to get my endurance and stability back.

So some of us are seeing radical improvements in our abilities. But as Gnatty has stated the time it does take to recover and how much and how long it takes will be different for everyone.

Keep active both mentally and physically to the best your abilities during and after treatment, do not think that bed rest is the answer here as if you are recovering from the flu or a sports injury. Your system needs healthy exercise as much as treatment to help the liver recover from HCV.

For me regaining my abilities both physical and mental has enhanced sense self respect and is the most important part of the equation.

The self doubt, cynical attitude to life and moping are all gone and perhaps this is as important as any other aspect of being cured. My wife, loved ones and friends I am sure are finding it easier to live and associate with me now that the black cloud of HCV is not hanging over me and there is new joy in living.

Cheers
Eric
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

Offline NYCHEPCMAN

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 01:08:50 pm »
I work a desk job and my focus and concentration have not been good for the past 10 years or so - little did I know it could be hep c related. Finally feeling more of my old self again but I still have good and bad days.
GT 1b
VL 1,237,287
Diagnosed November 2015
alt 66 ast 35
F2 fibrosure
2/3/16 Started 12 weeks Viekira
Week 4: Hep C virus by PCR   <1.18 NOT detected, <15 not detected IU/Ml AST 18, ALT  25

Offline drummerman

• For those regarded as warriors....
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 03:05:06 pm »
I know this is probably been answered but I couldn't find it and I have to be to class soon.  I have genotype 2 and just started 2nd treatment (I messed up my first one by not taking the whole 12 weeks of meds like a dummy, and it went undetected but came back). So my doc is now putting me on declaratisvir, solvadi, and ribo for 6 months.  Only symptom I have from hcv is fatigue.  Will it go away once cured ?  Not talking med related fatigue but the actual fatigue from virus.

Didn't for me... but I am gradually feeling less fatiqued.  Takes a while.

dm
Diagnosed07
Interferon/riba 2008 - non-responder
5/16/15 - AST -34
ALT - 35_ HCV RNA - 10,783,000
 7/6/15 - started viekira/riba
8/11/15  Week 5 <15 vl,  AST 18, ALT 18
9/11/15 Week 9  "HCV NOT DETECTED"!
AST 16, ALT 11.  10/16/16 - 2 weeks post EOT = "HCV NOT DETECTED!   AST - 18,  ALT 14
12/29/15 -12 wk EOT-HCV NOT DETECTED! AST 23, ALT 15
3/26/16 - 24 wk post EOT - HCV NOT DETECTED!! AST 19, ALT 21
1 yr eot - AST 20, ALT 17

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.