Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:50:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 68
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 48
Total: 48

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone on Viekirax/Exviera without riba??  (Read 9378 times)

Offline Ange

Anyone on Viekirax/Exviera without riba??
« on: April 01, 2016, 05:29:05 pm »
Hi I'm on Day 3  ( end of).   Bloody bother---- am trying to stay calm but itching quite badly already, kind of general and prickly.  The inter/riba trxt in 2009 nearly killed me and I went crazy. I,ve done research on net and seems like adding riba makes very little difference >4%.  I was prescribed 2 strong sleeping pills a week which is a relief as I will get 2 nights sleep a week minimum.  I'm going to stay calm and positive this time drinking lots water, moisturising, doing breathing exercises to stay relaxed if /when I wake at night.  It's only 12 weeks.  I want to know what life is like without virus.  Geno type 1b:  V/l 1.5 mill. Good luck to everyone on here x
Female
diagnosed 1b 1998
2009 unresponsive to interferon/riba
currently on 12 weeks Viekirax/Exviera

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Anyone on Viekirax/Exviera without riba??
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 10:16:15 pm »
Hi
Looking at patient information for Viekirax/Exviera patients who are GT 1b normally do not take this treatment with Ribavirin unless they have cirrhosis. 

See table 1 pg 2
http://www.natap.org/2014/HCV/ExvieraSmPC%20Jan2015eMC.pdf

If you do have cirrhosis it does make us harder to treat and we can little afford to not have a successful treatment. So even if only a 4% point difference I am sure you do not want to risk treatment failure and relapse. I Treated for 24 weeks with Harvoni and added Ribavirin for 15 of those 24 weeks due to my cirrhosis and past treatment history.

Yes Ribavirin is not a lot of fun to be sure. Hang in there when the 12 weeks have past and you are cured you will never need treatment for hep c again.

Good luck
Lynn
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Ange

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 04:43:44 am »
Thanks for the reply Lyn.  I dont think I've got cirrohsis ultrasound said not fibroscan 12.3 but I had been drinking now I have stopped totally.  I feel so itchy and weak on this I cannot add the ribavarin it would finish me off!  You,re right if I dont clear this I'll be devastatsd but I believe the 4 drug cocktail is enough. Hope you are well x
Female
diagnosed 1b 1998

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 05:36:41 am »
Per the prescribing information as a GT 1b if you don't have cirrhosis you should not have to also take Ribavirin if you are GT 1a with or without cirrhosis you would need the Ribavirin or as a 1b with cirrhosis but not as a 1b without cirrhosis.

Have you been prescribed Ribavirin or are you just concerned they might want you to take Ribavirin?
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline HazelAustralia

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 06:24:35 am »
Hi Ange,

I think it's pretty urgent that you ask your doctor whether you have cirrhosis or not, and if you don't, why she or he prescribed the ribaviron (I think you did write in another post that it was prescribed). Tiredness and itchiness of the skin are symptoms of cirrhosis too I believe. I think you do have a right to make a decision about your treatment, but I would hate for you to make a decision without having all the available and vital information. Do you feel comfortable with your doctor?

Best wishes,

Hazel
Female age 53
Australia
Contracted in the 1980's
Genotype 1A
VL 314k

Started treatment with Veikira Pak and Ribaviron on Thursday 17th December 2015
NOT DETECTED, End of Treatment, 16th March 2016

Offline Ange

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 05:40:22 pm »
Thanks again I'm feeling better now. Day 6, yes I was prescribed ribavarin but I have researched in depth and for geno-type 1b with or without cirrhosis  the results are very promising!  The itching is better since I bought antihistamine over the counter. Thankfully I.m sleeping better too.  I asked if I really had to take Ribavarin and was told the product license required it.  I'm not proud to be doing this but I was not convinced at all that it was necessary to take that horrible strong drug again.
Female
diagnosed 1b 1998

Offline HazelAustralia

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 08:46:08 am »
Hi Ange,
Okay - best of luck. One week down already!
H.
Female age 53
Australia
Contracted in the 1980's
Genotype 1A
VL 314k

Started treatment with Veikira Pak and Ribaviron on Thursday 17th December 2015
NOT DETECTED, End of Treatment, 16th March 2016

Offline Ange

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 05:51:14 pm »
Thanks Hazel its quite a roller coaster even without the riba.  I'm coping ok though with this odd feeling of a very speedy head? and night time itcching which is annoying. Sleep seems very light too but hey ho..... it's gotta be done. Finished day 8 now  8) and I'm feeling grateful and blessed xx
Female
diagnosed 1b 1998

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.