Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:51:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 62
Total: 62

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Did your lymphoma go away after being cured with DAAs?  (Read 8106 times)

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Did your lymphoma go away after being cured with DAAs?
« on: May 01, 2016, 02:34:21 pm »
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL) has a close association with Hepatitis C. Rates of this cancer are 2-3 times higher in Hep C people than in the general population.

I would be interested in hearing from any of you who entered Hep C treatment with a diagnosed case of NHL. Did your NHL go away after being cured of Hep C with the new direct-acting antivirals (DAAs)?

One of the advocated methods for treating NHL in Hep C people (at least back in the Interferon days) has been to cure the Hep C and see if the lymphoma goes away, as it apparently does in many cases.

However, the recent news last month about liver cancer manifesting in Hep C patients while on treatment with the new DAAs (or shortly after finishing) has got me wondering whether the new miracle drugs for Hep C could also accelerate the development of other low-grade cancers in the body such as non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, which can sometimes be present for years without any disturbing symptoms.

The scientists who reported on the increase in liver cancer hypothesize that the new DAAs for Hep C inadvertently turn off the body's immune surveillance system (the system by which our body keeps cancer under control) by reducing inflammation so quickly. The scientists were only looking at cirrhotic Hep C patients with pre-existing liver cancer for this study. But if their hypothesis is correct, I don't see why this shut-down of the body's immune surveillance wouldn't also affect other low-grade cancers lurking in the body (e.g., NHL). They weren't gathering data on other cancers.

So who had NHL before Hep C treatment, and what happened after you were cured...? Or did anyone here get diagnosed with NHL shortly after treatment (if you feel like sharing)? Thanks.

And have a great May Day, everyone!

kim :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 04:59:53 pm by KimInTheForest »
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline ricpark

Re: Did your lymphoma go away after being cured with DAAs?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 07:54:05 am »
I now see your post after I responded to your PM. I have not been keeping up on the forum, dealing with life.
rich
Chronic 50 years
Geo 1A Stage 3
VL 17.5 mill
non-Hopkins lymphoma cancer
after 4 weeks
AST 87 now 29
ALT 128 now 27
VL now undetected
after 12 wks
VL  undetected

Offline Luna7

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 10:10:56 am »
Kim are you worried you might have or had lymphoma with those night sweats and fever you mentioned awhile back? :(

I have a lump on my leg I need to have checked out.

I wasn't happy to discover that one of the excipients in my medication is a possible carcinogen!  (titanium dioxide)
  http://www.ccohs.ca/headlines/text186.html

Maybe it's only a carcinogen in Canada tho so I need not worry ;0
Between F2 & F3
Alt & Ast nearly 100
Viral load over 8 million
Gt 3a

Treated 12 weeks with Sovaldi & Daklinza, start date mid-April 2016
Undetected at 4 weeks into treatment
Alt & Ast  normal
Treatment completed July 14
Most likely will be undetected at 12 weeks (mid October 2016) as symptoms are gone

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 12:16:07 pm »
I have been quite unwell and semi-disabled for the past 9 months since finishing my 12-week course of Harvoni/ribavirin (which cured me of Hep C).

I am going in to my GP again this Friday, and I continue to have monthly blood tests doing a full CBC and serum ferritin check (since that has been so low). But my GP has been as stumped as I have been up to this point.

I know I have periodically said here that I am better, that's it's all behind me. But each recurrence shows me that it isn't. I could scarcely get out of bed yesterday. My life and happiness (and income) are falling apart because of this. There is some disease process at work in my body. I have not returned to the level of health and functionality I had before starting treatment 1 year ago this month. Many days I can barely take out the garbage.

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL) is the one thing that would explain ALL of my symptoms.

These are my symptoms these past 9 months (and one going back years). Every one of these symptoms is listed on various lists of NHL symptoms. (Yes, I know that isn't conclusive in and of itself. I would be grateful if the invalidators would think before typing.)

•   high fever, sometimes with chills
•   drenching night sweats
•   extreme fatigue
•   numerous enlarged lymph nodes during & post-treatment
•   some permanently enlarged lymph nodes going back years
•   low iron & hemoglobin that won’t rebound after 8 months of iron supps & meat
•   shortness of breath
•   dry cough since mid-treatment that won’t go away
•   unusual itching
•   lymphocytosis (noted by pathologist 14 weeks post-treatment)
•   pancytopenia (noted by pathologist 31 weeks post-treatment)
•   low platelet count since mid-treatment up to present

So that is why I would be interested in hearing from anyone who had NHL going into treatment, or who developed it post-treatment.

Thanks!
kim :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:28:52 pm by KimInTheForest »
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline FutureThinker

• Onward and upward!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 01:21:24 pm »
Hey Kim -- I don't know much about NHL, but your fevers do concern me (and I imagine your doctor).  How about getting a second opinion?  Perhaps at an academic facility?  Sometimes more heads are needed to figure out these types of situations. 

Give it some thought.  FT
Treatment naive
Likely contracted mid-70s
Diagnosed 1a, 2011
F1-2
Harvoni X 12 weeks, completed 5/17/16
Pre-treatment: VL 3 mil, AST 64, ALT 84
4 week labs: VL 30, AST 21, ALT 14
8 week labs: VL UD!!!, AST 22, ALT 16
12 week labs: VL UD, AST 23, ALT 14
2 wk EOT: VL UD
12 wk EOT: VL UD, AST 22, ALT 13 =  SVR 12! Yay! 
Last hep appointment: VL UD, AST 19, ALT 12 = SVR 39! I AM DONE!

Offline Luna7

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 12:22:00 pm »
I hope you can find out what's going on and start to feel better soon, Kim!
Between F2 & F3
Alt & Ast nearly 100
Viral load over 8 million
Gt 3a

Treated 12 weeks with Sovaldi & Daklinza, start date mid-April 2016
Undetected at 4 weeks into treatment
Alt & Ast  normal
Treatment completed July 14
Most likely will be undetected at 12 weeks (mid October 2016) as symptoms are gone

Offline Bob V

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 12:29:15 pm »
Good luck Kim.

BTW I agree with FutureThinker, if you can get second opinion.
Male 64
Dx hep non AB 1972, Hep C 1991
GT 1A
VL 3.7m (pre tx)
Liver B 1992, unremarkable
Liver ultrasound 2014, normal
Treatment Interferon 90's x2 failed
Started Harvoni 12/08/2014 (12wks)
Finished Harvoni  3/1/15
5wk lab detected <15
8wk lab UND
EOT lab UND!
12wk post lab UND!
24wk post lab UND!
58wk post lab UND!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.