Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:43:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 100
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 76
Total: 77

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Should I go to India to get Harvoni?  (Read 19318 times)

Offline Bearkate

Should I go to India to get Harvoni?
« on: May 30, 2016, 09:50:05 am »
I have hep c most likely since teen years or childhood since my
Mom has same genotype. Maybe from sharing razors. So I've had it a while. I'm healthy. Mom of three. Busy. My insurance won't cover it. I've even switched insurance. Still won't cover it. Gilead won't give it to me since I have insurance. I've already tried support path. I've heard I can get it in India for $900. Do any of you know about this? Thanks.

Offline morab

• Lives in the woods
Re: Should I go to India to get Harvoni?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 10:06:07 am »
Bearkate
You should soon be getting the information you need from the wonderful folks on this forum.
Good luck and keep me posted!
Morab
3/2016 G 1a
Alt 84
Ast 62
Fibrosis score lab 0.66
quantitation 894,670
4/23/16 day 6, naive Harvoni 12 week treatment
5/27/16 week 4 lab results UNDETECTED AST 23 ALT17

Offline Coach Mike

• Affordable Hepatitis C Treatment
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 11:04:25 am »
Hi Bearkate,
Check with Morab. I sent her the info. Join REDEMTPTION at GP2U.com would be a great way to access quality generics at an affordable price. Guaranteed delivery and quality. Plus, as part of the generic clinical trial, you will be helping this wonderful study gain more data while curing yourself of this vile disease. Don't fool around here. The clock may be ticking down as far as generic access in the U.S. is concerned.
Coach Mike
Genotype 1a, Biopsy:11/2014: F-1, Tx Naive
Fibrosure, 7/20/15: F-1-2
Pre tx v/l: 1,600,000, ALT: 75, AST: 48
Started generic sofosbuvir & ledipasvir: 10/23/15
4 wk labs: 11/19/15, ALT: 21, AST: 16, V/L:  UND
Started 8 week Harvoni tx: 11/20/15
8 wk labs, 12/15/15, ALT: 15, AST: 13, V/L: UND
4/11/16 12 week EOT-Undetected
7/5/16 SVR 24

Offline FutureThinker

• Onward and upward!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 11:35:35 am »
I don't know what genotype you are, but we now have some other meds on the market, like Zepatier and Daklinza, that may be possible for you to get. 

ALSO -- Gilead's new drug which is similar to Harvoni but is for ALL genotypes is due for an approval decision by the FDA on June 28th.  This may well be an option for you to get insurance coverage, so in addition to the generics & other meds, there are other possibilities for you. FT
Treatment naive
Likely contracted mid-70s
Diagnosed 1a, 2011
F1-2
Harvoni X 12 weeks, completed 5/17/16
Pre-treatment: VL 3 mil, AST 64, ALT 84
4 week labs: VL 30, AST 21, ALT 14
8 week labs: VL UD!!!, AST 22, ALT 16
12 week labs: VL UD, AST 23, ALT 14
2 wk EOT: VL UD
12 wk EOT: VL UD, AST 22, ALT 13 =  SVR 12! Yay! 
Last hep appointment: VL UD, AST 19, ALT 12 = SVR 39! I AM DONE!

Offline Coach Mike

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 11:54:53 am »
Good points, FT,
but, it's next to impossible in Arkansas to get insurance approval unless you are at least F-3 without appealing it to the external review stage. As I have posted earlier, My insurance company, Health Advantage, hasn't budged in its willingness to force its members to fight for coverage. They are merciless. They also cover every public school and state employee, typically requiring being on the transplant list before granting voluntary approval.
Bearkate: What is your genotype, viral load and liver condition?
cm
7/5/16 SVR 24

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 02:29:42 pm »
Hi Bearkate,
Long before considering the India route, I have a question for you - how many appeals and denials have you had? If it is only one or two, you are very likely to get approved if you appeal again. I highly suggest working with an advocate via a patient assistance program. Lots of good ones, such as the Patient Advocate Foundation's Hepatitis C CareLine 800-532-5274 www.hepatitisc.pafcareline.org

When possible, there are advantages of getting your meds here. So far, we've heard only good things regarding the imported generics, but since we know that there are occasional complications, if that were to happen, its better if you were on a drug you purchased through traditional means. However, if after you have exhausted all appeals, considered a clinical trial, or alternative meds, then I the FixHepCBuyersClub is the only operation I trust. 

Also, FT's observation that a new drug is about to come out may be a game changer - perhaps wait 2 months for the dust to settle before pushing the insurance company for coverage.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline FutureThinker

• Onward and upward!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 03:00:23 pm »
The only way I was able to get Harvoni was through my state insurance board review to force BS to cover my treatment.  So that is a very possible route to take.  FT
Treatment naive
Diagnosed 1a, 2011
F1-2

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 03:12:43 pm »
One thing we need to keep in mind is that some people had a very hard time getting treatment, but various state and private insurers are changing their tune - nearly every week I read about somebody new who is now covering treatment. So although I really value everyone's experience on the forum, when it comes to coverage, everyone needs to go through the process themselves rather than assume that someone else's insurance denial will apply to them.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline FutureThinker

• Onward and upward!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 05:10:49 pm »
Yes indeed, insurance is a funny business and what applies to one won't to another. FT
Treatment naive
Diagnosed 1a, 2011
F1-2

Offline Coach Mike

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 01:05:03 am »
And if all the insurers cover everybody at today's cost, all our premiums and taxes will skyrocket. Big Pharma and their investors will continue to rake in their blood money.
This is not about rewarding innovation anymore. This is simply a business making as much money as the market will allow.
The Australian government forced Gilead into making a deal to treat every infected person in the country for a set fee. The threat of generics was a big factor in forcing Gilead to bargain.
I am 100% in favor of having insurance cover all treatments for all diseases but, knowing what I know now about generics-they are just as effective as the branded product-I would not wait one day longer than absolutely necessary to start the healing process. Life is too precious to waste fighting for months to get something that should be as accessible as penicillin.
The REDEMTPTION clinical trials, brought to you by the good folks from FixHepC.com, cost $2000. That is what my plane ticket to eastern Europe cost this summer. I have been unable to visit my inlaws there for two years due to my illness and ongoing fight for insurance coverage. Time I will never be able to recover.
I bought generics and fought and got insurance coverage.
Times have changed.
12 weeks of Harvoni is worth $2000, no more. An Australian or Indian would pay far less. Our insurers shouldn't have to pay $40,000 for the same medication.
cm
7/5/16 SVR 24

Offline drsinghal

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 06:33:23 am »
hi ..yes  in india you can get hepcinat and hepcinat lp ... even less than 500$. guranteed original stuff

Offline Baxter

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 04:25:07 pm »
And if all the insurers cover everybody at today's cost, all our premiums and taxes will skyrocket. Big Pharma and their investors will continue to rake in their blood money.
This is not about rewarding innovation anymore. This is simply a business making as much money as the market will allow.
The Australian government forced Gilead into making a deal to treat every infected person in the country for a set fee. The threat of generics was a big factor in forcing Gilead to bargain.
I am 100% in favor of having insurance cover all treatments for all diseases but, knowing what I know now about generics-they are just as effective as the branded product-I would not wait one day longer than absolutely necessary to start the healing process. Life is too precious to waste fighting for months to get something that should be as accessible as penicillin.
The REDEMTPTION clinical trials, brought to you by the good folks from FixHepC.com, cost $2000. That is what my plane ticket to eastern Europe cost this summer. I have been unable to visit my inlaws there for two years due to my illness and ongoing fight for insurance coverage. Time I will never be able to recover.
I bought generics and fought and got insurance coverage.
Times have changed.
12 weeks of Harvoni is worth $2000, no more. An Australian or Indian would pay far less. Our insurers shouldn't have to pay $40,000 for the same medication.
cm

Posts like this are part of the reason I really, really wish we could "rep" one another on this board. Consider this my big "thumbs-up."
Gen 1a
Inf. '85
Dx '98
'98 biopsy - Grade 2, Stage 2, VL 7 mil
'01 biopsy - Grade 1, Stage 1, VL 1.5 mil
'08 biopsy - Grade 1, Stage 1, VL 3.5 mil
'12 biopsy - Grade 1, Stage 1, VL 3.5 mil
'16 Fibrosure - Grade I, Stage 3, VL 6.4 mil and 4.8 mil
4/23/16 - ALT 89, AST 50, pltlts 120k. Started 12 wks Harvoni
4/31/16 - ALT 30, AST 21, pltlts 125k
4/14/16 - ALT 25, AST 16, pltlts 126k, VL 69
5/11/16 - ALT 28, AST 21, pltlts 140k,VL <15
6/7/16 -EOT, UNDETECTED!
9/7/16 - cured. Low Stage 2 fibrosis

Offline mamamia888

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 03:29:36 pm »
After seriously considering India  and taking out a loan because insurance co. denied treatment so many times, finally we have good news and my hubby will be starting Zepatair with no out of pocket cost or co-pay. Sure do feel fortunate for that stroke of luck.
 My husband also has had a prostecotomy and is dealing with that as well which comes with depression and severe anxiety for him. His Dr has now prescribed Prozac and we are wondering if anyone is aware of adverse reactions for these two medicines together?
genotype 1a
 started V-pak and riba on January 20,2016
 12 wk treatment plan
 VL-2,237,690
  Ferritin is elevated. Iron saturation and other liver       studies are normal
EOR _UNDECTABLE 7-22-16

VL_15   2/22/2016
week 10- VL is UNDECTABLE

Offline laublair

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 07:51:41 pm »
I say yes  Go to India if you can and get the meds you need.   Sounds like you have been jacked around enough.

I went to Australia and got the generic harvoni.  I am cured now. 6 months post treatment.  It was so worth it.

email me if you want more info    laublair@comcast.net
exposed 1970    Dx  2001  HCV type 1a  Treatment Iferon/RIba 2002  relapsed   On generic harvoni from Australia  Nov 23, 2015   12 wk regimen   F2  recent fibroscan    Have not had blood test since 2009  Colorado, USA   Virus undetected at 4 wks and 4 wks post treatment

Offline eracer59

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 04:59:56 pm »
This is my first post to this forum. I went the India route for my meds. I purchased the generic version of epclusa and actually it came from Bangladesh. It cost me $2200 for a 12 week regimen. My dealings with insurance and Gilead have been a real wake up call for me. These are not expensive drugs to make. In India I believe it is $900 for the generic epclusa and you know Gilead is making a nice profit at that price or they wouldn't be selling it. This experience has left me questioning what kind of people have we become? Believe me I have no problem with someone being well compensated for a great product. But to price a life saving drug that is inexpensive to make out of the reach of 90% of the population is beyond greedy, it's immoral and evil. 

Offline Luna7

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 05:28:17 pm »
This is my first post to this forum. I went the India route for my meds. I purchased the generic version of epclusa and actually it came from Bangladesh. It cost me $2200 for a 12 week regimen. My dealings with insurance and Gilead have been a real wake up call for me. These are not expensive drugs to make. In India I believe it is $900 for the generic epclusa and you know Gilead is making a nice profit at that price or they wouldn't be selling it. This experience has left me questioning what kind of people have we become? Believe me I have no problem with someone being well compensated for a great product. But to price a life saving drug that is inexpensive to make out of the reach of 90% of the population is beyond greedy, it's immoral and evil.

I'm glad you understand, believe me.
Most want to live in their happy lil DaddyDoctor world, even denying evidence put forth in clear light.
I don't know how we're going to get out of this Profit Before People mode.
Maybe our society is just going to implode.

And welcome to the forum.
Between F2 & F3
Alt & Ast nearly 100
Viral load over 8 million
Gt 3a

Treated 12 weeks with Sovaldi & Daklinza, start date mid-April 2016
Undetected at 4 weeks into treatment
Alt & Ast  normal
Treatment completed July 14
Most likely will be undetected at 12 weeks (mid October 2016) as symptoms are gone

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 11:23:23 pm »
I removed the post that was selling medications. This is illegal. 
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.