Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:28:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 63
Total: 63

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Harvoni and Amphetamines  (Read 14274 times)

Offline worriedpartner

Harvoni and Amphetamines
« on: June 16, 2016, 03:55:09 pm »
My partner is almost 4 weeks into his 8 weeks of Harvoni treatment and has relapsed back to amphetamines use, does anyone know if this will effect his treatment?
And when he goes for his mid treatment bloods will they even continue with it as they told him he was only offered it because he was clean?

Thanks in advance xx

Offline Baxter

Re: Harvoni and Amphetamines
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 04:25:24 pm »

As for the first question, I would check the drug interaction information and see whether the specific drugs he uses are contraindicated. It's certainly not a good idea, but it probably doesn't directly affect the action of Harvoni. What it's doing to the liver itself is an entirely different question, though.

As for the second question - depends on his doctor and his insurance provider. But in most cases, I think the chances are pretty good his treatment would be discontinued. Insurance companies don't like to waste 30k+ per month on people who are actively killing themselves.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. It must be very frigthening and stressful for you, and my heart goes out to you. I wish you and your partner the very best.
Gen 1a
Inf. '85
Dx '98
'98 biopsy - Grade 2, Stage 2, VL 7 mil
'01 biopsy - Grade 1, Stage 1, VL 1.5 mil
'08 biopsy - Grade 1, Stage 1, VL 3.5 mil
'12 biopsy - Grade 1, Stage 1, VL 3.5 mil
'16 Fibrosure - Grade I, Stage 3, VL 6.4 mil and 4.8 mil
4/23/16 - ALT 89, AST 50, pltlts 120k. Started 12 wks Harvoni
4/31/16 - ALT 30, AST 21, pltlts 125k
4/14/16 - ALT 25, AST 16, pltlts 126k, VL 69
5/11/16 - ALT 28, AST 21, pltlts 140k,VL <15
6/7/16 -EOT, UNDETECTED!
9/7/16 - cured. Low Stage 2 fibrosis

Offline NYCHEPCMAN

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 04:32:43 pm »
I agree with Baxter in checking the drug interaction information - I looked and didn't see any interaction.

Before I was approved for treatment I had to get a drug and alcohol test - after that I just went for a viral count and liver function tests. I think it would be irresponsible to stop treatment at this point unless it wasn't working.

But all the literture I read is that crystal meth use puts you at greater risk for Hep C infection. I know folks that drank on treatment and they were fine.

I recently had drinks one weekend and had liver pains for a week afterwards so I can't do that again.....
GT 1b
VL 1,237,287
Diagnosed November 2015
alt 66 ast 35
F2 fibrosure
2/3/16 Started 12 weeks Viekira
Week 4: Hep C virus by PCR   <1.18 NOT detected, <15 not detected IU/Ml AST 18, ALT  25

Offline worriedpartner

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 04:54:58 pm »
I am in the UK so the treatment is being funded by the government, he was referred to the hep clinic via his drink/drug rehabilitation clinic, they did state that he was only being offered the treatment because he had been successful in staying off the stuff for 6 months, prior to which he was hospitalized and ended up in ICU from an amphetamines overdose. He was actually diagnosed with hep c almost 10 yrs ago, but this has been the only time he has remained clean/sober, hence being offered the Harvoni treatment.

I have checked the interactions as best I can but haven't come up with anything, so I suppose my main question was that of whether they will discontinue it due to him not helping himself, so to speak.

At the appointment just prior to him starting the treatment, his doctor did stress to us that he was lucky to be getting this chance, considering his alcohol & drug abuse history. He is still prescribed a heroin substitute daily, but other than that has been clean until today. I don't think he has even thought of the fact that this treatment could be stopped because of this.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

PS - he is pee tested for drug abuse on a fortnightly basis.

Offline NYCHEPCMAN

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 07:45:34 pm »
Sorry to hear that - from what I understand substance abuse is frowned on because you chance getting reinfected and not being compliant with treatment (skipped doses etc)

Let's hope he can get clean for next blood check.
GT 1b
VL 1,237,287
Diagnosed November 2015
alt 66 ast 35
F2 fibrosure
2/3/16 Started 12 weeks Viekira
Week 4: Hep C virus by PCR   <1.18 NOT detected, <15 not detected IU/Ml AST 18, ALT  25

Offline worriedpartner

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 07:50:40 pm »
That's what I thought.
Thanks

Offline brie41

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 09:30:41 pm »
Sorry for what you are going through.  I can't imagine how terrible it must be to watch someone you care about not be able to stay clean.   Time will tell if the drug will be effective or if they will find out and discontinue the med.  Hope it all works out for both of you.  Brie
Diagnosed  HCV, 1A 2006
Viral load 6 million
Ast/Alt always in the 20's
F0-F1, never changed
Treatment naive, started 8 week Harvoni 3/15/16
4 and 8 week labs undetected
6 week eot labs undetected
13 week eot UNDETECTED!

Offline worriedpartner

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 11:18:40 pm »
Thank you Brie, I've currently left the home we share, am lucky enough that I have family close by, I've spent the last 2 years trying my best to keep him clean, getting treatment for the hep was supposed to be the last link he had with drugs, (he caught it before I knew him, approximately 10yrs ago), he has been so happy the last few weeks, he even stated that he felt a huge weight had been lifted because his levels are so low his doc said it would almost certainly be a success, but, like I said before, the doc also stated that, considering his long and complicated relationship with dink and drugs, he was considerably lucky to even be offered the treatment. 6 months clean, for nothing.
I'm at my wits end, I can't do anymore for him, he has to do it himself. I have my son to think about.
Thank you all for listening xx

Offline Rosie13

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 11:49:07 pm »
Worried Partner, you sound like such a wonderful person. My heart goes out to you. My husband had a drinking problem a long time ago & he just made the decision after several arrests & stuck to it for about 20 years . In the end it's a personal decision. These meds are so precious & so many people can't get them yet. I pray he comes to his senses & has a clean run for the rest of his journey. Hang in there.
Labs August 15,2015
Genotype 1b
AST 112 U/L
ALT 181 U/L
HCV 192,000 IU/mL
Fibroscan F2-3
Started Harvoni Sept. 5, 2015
4wk. labs Oct. 2,2015
AST 21 U/L
ALT 27 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
8wk. labs Nov.5,2015
AST 16 U/L
ALT 19 U/L
HCV UNDETECTED!!
12 wks.post tx.feb.11,2016
UNDETECTED!!!
24 wks. post tx. may 16,2016
UNDETECTED Fibroscan  F-0!!!!!

Offline FutureThinker

• Onward and upward!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 02:00:47 pm »
Hi worriedpartner, Very sorry to hear of these issues. Addiction is a very tough cookie to beat and it sounds like it's going to take him more time to figure this all out. My prayers are with you both.

While browsing thru some hcv info I came across an article from helio.com, their HCV Next 6/16 issue, that had an article on non-adherence results.  It's just one study from 1 clinic, but their data showed a 19% reduction in SVR at 12 weeks vs. those who had been adherent. It also showed a 25% relapse rate in this group, vs. a 4% rate in the adherent group.

Don't know if these figures can help you help him, but thought I'd share.  Take care, FT
Treatment naive
Likely contracted mid-70s
Diagnosed 1a, 2011
F1-2
Harvoni X 12 weeks, completed 5/17/16
Pre-treatment: VL 3 mil, AST 64, ALT 84
4 week labs: VL 30, AST 21, ALT 14
8 week labs: VL UD!!!, AST 22, ALT 16
12 week labs: VL UD, AST 23, ALT 14
2 wk EOT: VL UD
12 wk EOT: VL UD, AST 22, ALT 13 =  SVR 12! Yay! 
Last hep appointment: VL UD, AST 19, ALT 12 = SVR 39! I AM DONE!

Offline worriedpartner

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 02:49:38 pm »
Thank you, any information at all is deeply appreciated. I have had an issue with substance abuse myself in the past, so that bit I can relate to with knowledge, obviously my partner had hep when I got with him but I just did basic research into it , reason being back when he was first diagnosed he kinda buried his head in the sand and pretended it wasn't real, often developing a problem with one substance then constantly replacing each addiction with another, (heroin to crack, crack to alcohol, alcohol to amphetamine etc) , it was only in December of last year after ending up in icu that he finally seemed to have got a bit scared and swore enough was enough. And, for the last 6 months has been doing great, he was finally ready to face up to the diagnosis and see if anything could be done (until 2 months ago he didn't even know what genotype he was), it's only because of his show of determination and finally Wanting ' to do something about it that landed him the opportunity to get this treatment. His doc explained that because of the high cost of the treatment, the number of people that actually get it around here is exceptionally low, approximately 10-15 people out of every 50, not to mention how lucky he is to not have any scarring on his liver at all considering the amount of drug abuse since diagnosis.
He obviously is not thinking 100% clearly right now, but i am scared that if they pull the plug on his treatment because of this relapse it is only likely to go one way, a very quick spiral downwards.
He has to have his levels tested next week, with the fact that it was his drug rehabilitation centre that referred him for this treatment, do you think he will be drug tested at the same time?

Offline FutureThinker

• Onward and upward!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 03:12:06 pm »
I don't know the answer to your question, but seems they will at least inquire re: abstinence. Another point here is these DAAs are very powerful drugs to rid our livers and bodies of the virus. I'm not aware of any research on the use of illicit drugs with these DAAs; the effect can't be positive. I know my own doctor required a standard agreement to be signed for all Harvoni patients outlining various scenarios in which treatment could be stopped & my responsibility in the treatment course. I would guess he had to sign something like this, too?

This is a very tough situation, I'm sorry I don't have a lot of answers.  Perhaps some other members can add some information. Is there a social worker involved in this clinic, or some other personnel that could help here? I doubt he's the first patient to start using again during treatment, so hopefully the staff knows how to intervene someway. FT
Treatment naive
Diagnosed 1a, 2011
F1-2

Offline worriedpartner

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 05:39:48 pm »
Do you think I should inform his doctors and/or drug workers that he is using again? Because I'm assuming he's going to keep it quiet?

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 06:11:38 pm »
Do you think I should inform his doctors and/or drug workers that he is using again? Because I'm assuming he's going to keep it quiet?

I personally don't think you should go out of your way to do that because, even though he is using again, it will still be very much to his benefit to eliminate the Hep C from his body. That is one obstacle out of his way to full recovery. And drug addiction recovery will be easier without the added burden of having Hep C. But ultimately, only you can know what feels like the right choice here.

You are in a difficult position. I think you made the right choice for now to leave the home you were sharing with him. You have to take care of yourself and your son.

Good luck!
kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline FutureThinker

• Onward and upward!
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 08:28:26 pm »
Worriedpartner, that's a tough question. The doctor may be able to tell he's using again.  Also, the first blood test is to let the doctor know several things, two of which are: Is the drug working and is the patient being compliant. If it shows no change in his viral load w/ no decrease, that may well trigger the conversation re: abstinence and compliance with the drug instructions.

Hope this helps, FT
Treatment naive
Diagnosed 1a, 2011
F1-2

Offline worriedpartner

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 09:03:53 pm »
Take it from me, there is no denying it, he gets very animated and twitchy after a day or 2, you wouldn't need any medical training to see he is on something.
I work very closely with my partners drug treatment team, as I do now with his hep doctor, so I was thinking, maybe speak to the drug treatment team on Monday, so hopefully they could intervene and get something in place, ready for his appointment later next week??

Offline Baxter

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2016, 01:32:29 am »
Hi worriedpartner, Very sorry to hear of these issues. Addiction is a very tough cookie to beat and it sounds like it's going to take him more time to figure this all out. My prayers are with you both.

While browsing thru some hcv info I came across an article from helio.com, their HCV Next 6/16 issue, that had an article on non-adherence results.  It's just one study from 1 clinic, but their data showed a 19% reduction in SVR at 12 weeks vs. those who had been adherent. It also showed a 25% relapse rate in this group, vs. a 4% rate in the adherent group.

Don't know if these figures can help you help him, but thought I'd share.  Take care, FT

What's helio.com? I typed it into the address bar, but all that came up was a website that seems to sell Korean cell phone plans. This sounds like a very interesting study.
Gen 1a
Inf. '85
Dx '98
'98 biopsy - Grade 2, Stage 2, VL 7 mil
'01 biopsy - Grade 1, Stage 1, VL 1.5 mil
'08 biopsy - Grade 1, Stage 1, VL 3.5 mil
'12 biopsy - Grade 1, Stage 1, VL 3.5 mil
'16 Fibrosure - Grade I, Stage 3, VL 6.4 mil and 4.8 mil
4/23/16 - ALT 89, AST 50, pltlts 120k. Started 12 wks Harvoni
4/31/16 - ALT 30, AST 21, pltlts 125k
4/14/16 - ALT 25, AST 16, pltlts 126k, VL 69
5/11/16 - ALT 28, AST 21, pltlts 140k,VL <15
6/7/16 -EOT, UNDETECTED!
9/7/16 - cured. Low Stage 2 fibrosis

Offline FutureThinker

• Onward and upward!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 01:27:32 pm »
Baxter, sorry for the typo, it's healio.com and I came across this link from the hepatitiscnewdrugresearch.com website while looking for news on Gilead's new drug decision to come out this month.

Worriedpartner, you can go a lot of ways in this dilemma.  Sounds like there's a good possibility he's going to give himself away at this appointment, or his blood work will.
FT
Treatment naive
Diagnosed 1a, 2011
F1-2

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.