Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:53:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 89
Total: 89

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Juicing  (Read 10175 times)

Offline humbled

Juicing
« on: July 17, 2016, 05:57:46 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on juicing?

Are cold-pressed juices good for the liver? I try to get juices that are mostly greens/vegetables, rather than fruit.

I'm concerned because I've seen stuff online that says one should avoid Vitamin A with liver scarring, and I know leafy greens, beets, and carrots have lots of A.

I've always thought that veggies (organic) are good for the liver, so I'm confused.
GT 1a, VL 3.7ml Fibroscan 13.6 Diagnosed: April 2016

SOT: 9 / 17 / 2016 (12 weeks Harvoni)

4-Week Bloods: AST (22) ALT (15)

EOT: 12 / 9 / 2016 - UNDETECTED!!

EOT + 12 weeks - 4 / 6 / 2017 - UNDETECTED!!!

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Re: Juicing
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 07:14:02 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on juicing?

Are cold-pressed juices good for the liver? I try to get juices that are mostly greens/vegetables, rather than fruit.

I'm concerned because I've seen stuff online that says one should avoid Vitamin A with liver scarring, and I know leafy greens, beets, and carrots have lots of A.

I've always thought that veggies (organic) are good for the liver, so I'm confused.

My understanding of the Vitamin A/liver thing is that you shouldn't take Vitamin A supplements. Leafy green veggies, beets, carrots, etc. actually have high beta-carotene, not vitamin A. The liver converts beta-carotene to Vitamin A to whatever extent it is needed. (If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me.) And so I have always felt it is a good thing for overall health to eat lots of fresh organic veggies. Juicing is a great way to do it. But I simply use the blender, which means I am getting the fiber as well, but that's not a bad thing, imo.

As for fruits, I am a big consumer of whole, organic fruits. But I have heard cautions to avoid tropical fruits like mangos and papayas because they contain papien (sp?) which is what meat tenderizer is based on. So they can "tenderize" the liver...? I am not sure if that's true. I also have seen some mention of avoiding grapefruit juice. Not sure if any of those fruits actually damage the liver. I consume them anyway because I like them - but only in organic form with no sugar added, and ideally hand-squeezed or fresh pressed.

For me, I felt the most important things I did diet-wise after being diagnosed were: reducing/eliminating all foods with added sugar, and reducing/eliminating salt. I stopped buying candy bars or anything else with sugar in it. I quit adding salt to anything I cooked or ate.

kim

Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 10:36:03 pm »
Also a lot depends on if you have serious liver damage already. For those of us with advanced liver disease we have to use caution about all medicines, supplements, and even foods.

All things in moderation and for us maybe not all things. Everything we do consume must be in moderation.

Too much of anything is not good especially if you have cirrhosis.

Good luck with your treatment
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Luna7

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 09:42:42 am »
Damm I was hoping to discover it was bad to eat this nasty-tasting kale ;0
Between F2 & F3
Alt & Ast nearly 100
Viral load over 8 million
Gt 3a

Treated 12 weeks with Sovaldi & Daklinza, start date mid-April 2016
Undetected at 4 weeks into treatment
Alt & Ast  normal
Treatment completed July 14
Most likely will be undetected at 12 weeks (mid October 2016) as symptoms are gone

Offline humbled

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 03:25:26 am »
I love kale :)

Thanks for the tips - I've been very careful to avoid sodium rich foods, and sugar altogether.

I usually buy cold-pressed juices from a nearby market, usually the juices made from organic greens, or sometimes beets.

I think I'm going to buy a home juicer, once I return home in the fall.

I also looked up a number of anti-inflammation foods and I've tried to incorporate them into my diet.

Some of my favorites include blueberries, walnuts, turmeric, and ginger.

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 02:17:30 pm »
Sounds like you are on the right track diet-wise, humbled. :)

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline humbled

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 06:10:24 pm »
Does anyone know anything about apple cider vinegar? I've heard it's good against inflammation...

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.