Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:13:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 137
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 106
Total: 106

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hep C since Infancy  (Read 6223 times)

Offline RiRiRo

Hep C since Infancy
« on: July 16, 2016, 02:21:56 am »
This is my first post on this board/forum. I discovered it while doing google searches to help answer some of the ten thousand questions I have.

I have had Hep C since I was an infant. I was born premature in 1980 and had a few blood transfusions and surgeries. It is believed that is when I contracted Hep C. My mother was officially told of my  Hep C diagnosis when I was 4 and was hospitalized for meningitis.

Anyhow, years later, at age 32, after a routine physical/blood test my general physician calls to tell me there's something fishy about my blood work and wants more extensive work done. I go back in. It comes out as my having Hep C.

I call my mother crying asking "how did this happen I don't even drink or smoke!" To which she relies "you've always had this. We don't know how you got it. We think it was from a blood transfusion."

Long story short, I went to a gastroenterologist, and I am now in Day 27 of Sovaldi and Ribavirin. It is a 90-day treatment.

I went in for my four week since treatment blood work appt today and I was told it was "gone" and there was no viral load detected. My liver fibrosis was "perfect and normal showing no anomalities."

I am to continue the Sovaldi and Rivavirin for the remainder of the two month treatment and go back in after those two months for more blood work.

I have an array of mixed and confused emotions surrounding the entire situation.

However, right now my main concern is my body's reactions to the medication. I've had serious anxiety/panic attacks and insomnia. Then there's the fatigue. I feel like there are days I don't even have the energy to get up and make something to eat.

I was wondering if anyone else was having similar side effects with Sovaldi and Ribavirin.

I apologize in advance for the lack of cohesiveness in my post, but that seems another side effect of the medication. I can't seem to properly organize my thoughts. I'm forgetful and absent minded, which in turn increases my anxiety since I am generally a very well organized person.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 12:12:54 pm by RiRiRo »
New to Forum, still trying to understand signatures. Here's my attempt:
Hep C Genotype 2a.
Infected at birth in 1980--from blood transfusion.
Became aware of my HepC Dx in Feb. 2015
Viral Load on June 1, 2016: 4million
Tx started June 18, 2016 (Ribavirin + Sovaldi)
Viral Load July 5, 2016: "None Detected"
*Fingers Crossed This Works*

Offline AussieRosa

Re: Hep C since Infancy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 05:57:20 am »
Hi, RiRiRo. Welcome to the forum. I found ribavirin increased my anxiety levels. I also had some strange brain glitch moments, one of which was completely forgetting the number of my apartment where I've lived for 17 years. Rest assured, these symptoms will go away when you finish treatment. As far as I was concerned, it was a small price to pay for being cured of this insidious disease. Wishing you all the best for the rest of your treatment and SVR.
Gt 1a
contracted 1983
Fibroscan 6.1
Treatment naive
VL 2.97M
ALT 38
AST 47
Started Viekira Pak + Ribavirin Tues 19th Jan 2016
Week 4: VL Undetected!
March 5th Ribavirin dose reduction to 800mg from 1000mg
EOT April 11th 2016. VL Not Detected
12 Weeks post EOT: SVR12. Cured with a capital C!!
6 months post EOT: Undetected :-)

Offline its time

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 07:23:46 am »
hi ririro
raney I believe is on same treatment... mayb reading post there could b of some help???
4.16.16  VL 1.7 million  AST 62   ALT 80  RBC  4.84
HBG  15.4
GENO TYPE 1A
7.9.16   Viekira + Riba 12 WKS (EOT 9.30.16)
7.23.16  2 wk lab
     VL  20    AST  20   ALT  16   RBC 4.05   HBG 12.6
8.6.16  4 WK LAB
     VL UNDETECTED  AST 14   ALT 14   RBC 3.98
HBG 12.4
9.3.16   8 wk lab
     VL UNDETECTED  AST 14   ALT 10    RBC 3.74
HBG  11.9
10.8.16  12 WK EOT
    VL  UNDETECTED  AST 16   ALT  12   RBC  3.76
HBG  12.0
END DECEMBER GO FOR 12 WK BLDWK
1/5 2017 HEP C FREE.. CURED :)

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 07:30:39 am »
Hi RiRi Ro, the riba is probably responsible for making you tired and fatigued. It depletes your haemoglobin so there's not as much oxygen getting round your system. I found there were days when I couldn't move my legs without great effort. I had to reduce the amount of riba I was taking for other reasons and it made a huge difference to my energy levels.

I never suffered anxiety or insomnia but I have heard other people say that have. You might want to concentrate on the knowledge that these drugs are going to help you feel better in the long run, it might help you feel better about them. I couldn't afford to be ambivalent about them, they were saving my life so I embraced them, down sides and all. You aren't as sick as I was so you have room to dislike them more! :)

All the best for treatment, everyone here has had some experience with these drugs, it's a great place to come for help.
CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 12:11:10 pm »
Welcome RiRiRo! Congrats on starting treatment and reaching "undetected"! You are, in all likelihood, on your way to be cured permanently. And that is the important thing to keep in mind when you are struggling with the side effects. I didn't have anxiety or panic attacks on my 12 weeks of Harvoni+ribavirin. But I had massive insomnia and also big anemia, which causes the fatigue. I also had a lot of extreme emotions (anger, weepiness). These are all the hallmarks of ribavirin treatment. In fact, there is the phrase "riba rage" to describe unnatural outbursts of anger that can occur.

It is very important on ribavirin that your bloodwork is taken & monitored every 2-4 weeks to make sure your anemia is not dipping to a dangerous level. Ribavirin causes hemolytic anemia in many/most people. It is a temporary effect, but you want to be sure your red blood cells and hemoglobin don't dip too low. If they do, then the customary approach is to reduce your ribavirin. You cannot eliminate the ribavirin altogether. The sovaldi won't work on its own. But doctors will usually reduce the dosage if the anemia is too great.

Are you getting blood tests done with enough frequency to monitor that aspect of the treatment properly?

all the best,
kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline RiRiRo

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 12:16:38 pm »
Hi, RiRiRo. Welcome to the forum. I found ribavirin increased my anxiety levels. I also had some strange brain glitch moments, one of which was completely forgetting the number of my apartment where I've lived for 17 years. Rest assured, these symptoms will go away when you finish treatment. As far as I was concerned, it was a small price to pay for being cured of this insidious disease. Wishing you all the best for the rest of your treatment and SVR.

^^
Thank you for your reply! It has helped eased some of my insane worry that perhaps I was responding rather negatively to treatment. Yes, I do have to start doing some positive reframing and think of it as small prices to pay for getting rid of this disease--so thank you for that reminder!
Hep C Genotype 2a.

Offline RiRiRo

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 12:22:30 pm »
Welcome RiRiRo! Congrats on starting treatment and reaching "undetected"! You are, in all likelihood, on your way to be cured permanently. And that is the important thing to keep in mind when you are struggling with the side effects. I didn't have anxiety or panic attacks on my 12 weeks of Harvoni+ribavirin. But I had massive insomnia and also big anemia, which causes the fatigue. I also had a lot of extreme emotions (anger, weepiness). These are all the hallmarks of ribavirin treatment. In fact, there is the phrase "riba rage" to describe unnatural outbursts of anger that can occur.

It is very important on ribavirin that your bloodwork is taken & monitored every 2-4 weeks to make sure your anemia is not dipping to a dangerous level. Ribavirin causes hemolytic anemia in many/most people. It is a temporary effect, but you want to be sure your red blood cells and hemoglobin don't dip too low. If they do, then the customary approach is to reduce your ribavirin. You cannot eliminate the ribavirin altogether. The sovaldi won't work on its own. But doctors will usually reduce the dosage if the anemia is too great.

Are you getting blood tests done with enough frequency to monitor that aspect of the treatment properly?

all the best,
kim

Hi Kim,

I am honestly so very ignorant on not only the disease itself but the treatment(s) as well. It all seemed like it happened so suddenly, and then of course there was the time span where I was too busy stuck in the denial stage. Whereby I rationalized in my brain "well, if my insurance is refusing to pay for this then it must not be so serious."

Denial was heavily administered. *sigh*

It is because of that, that I am so ignorant. Which is why I am grateful for this board and all your replies. I now have a list of questions to take back to my Gastro.

At my appointment this week, he didn't seem to urgent with my needing further bloodwork. He read my four week blood work said "everything looks great see you in two months" and that was it. I can see now that I will have to call back to ask to be checked for anemia as that may be the underlying cause of the fatigue.

Thank you for your reply. I will be sure to follow up with all the info you have given me. Thanks
Hep C Genotype 2a.

Offline RiRiRo

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 12:24:16 pm »
Hi RiRi Ro, the riba is probably responsible for making you tired and fatigued. It depletes your haemoglobin so there's not as much oxygen getting round your system. I found there were days when I couldn't move my legs without great effort. I had to reduce the amount of riba I was taking for other reasons and it made a huge difference to my energy levels.

I never suffered anxiety or insomnia but I have heard other people say that have. You might want to concentrate on the knowledge that these drugs are going to help you feel better in the long run, it might help you feel better about them. I couldn't afford to be ambivalent about them, they were saving my life so I embraced them, down sides and all. You aren't as sick as I was so you have room to dislike them more! :)

All the best for treatment, everyone here has had some experience with these drugs, it's a great place to come for help.

Thanks for your reply Philadelphia, I will have to look into the "riba rage" and dig through the forum some more for more info :)
Hep C Genotype 2a.

Offline RiRiRo

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 12:25:24 pm »
hi ririro
raney I believe is on same treatment... mayb reading post there could b of some help???

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of Raney's posts. I have found them and marked them to read them!

:)
Hep C Genotype 2a.

Offline Mike

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 05:34:12 pm »
Hi RiRi Ro,

I completed 12 weeks of Sovaldi+Ribarivin+Interferon. I had previous experience with Ribv+Intf and started taking Paxil (10mg) about two weeks prior to starting treatment. It helped with the depression and anxiety.

There's not much you can do about the fatigue other than eat healthy and take naps. Your doctor should be monitoring your blood platelets and, in some cases, the Ribv can be decreased if your red blood cell count gets to low (low platelets  can cause fatigue and shortness of breath).

Drink lots of water.

Remember this is only 84 days and you've knocked 27 of those days off. The virus is now undetectable and next 54 days will ensure it stays that way!

Hang in there and best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.