Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:50:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 90
Total: 90

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: So my BF tested negative for hep c  (Read 9653 times)

Offline KGP

So my BF tested negative for hep c
« on: September 12, 2016, 11:54:34 pm »
Which is good news, and negative for autoimmune diseases, but doc says his spleen is enlarged (normal blood tests) what could this mean? He has scarring on liver too

Offline KGP

Re: So my BF tested negative for hep c
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:55:33 pm »
Getting a CT scan next week! Possible he can still have liver disease? Pain on right side

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 12:34:00 am »
Only way to know what is going on with him is to get tested and have a diagnosis from a doctor. Does he drink?
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline KGP

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 06:03:33 pm »
He used to until he found out the news, but the doc doesn't seem to think its from drinking...

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 07:08:07 pm »
So what does his doctor believe is the cause has he said?

Really the only way to find out is have the appropriate testing done and then go from there.

Anything else at this point is wild guessing.

Some info from web MD

An enlarged spleen can be caused by infections, cirrhosis and other liver diseases, blood diseases characterized by abnormal blood cells, problems with the lymph system, or other conditions. Other causes of an enlarged spleen include: Inflammatory diseases such as sarcoidosis, lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis.

How did his doctor determine his spleen is enlarged and that he has liver scarring? What tests has he had so far?

Did he have an abdominal ultrasound performed? Why did he see the doctor in the first place that he had testing done? Was it found on a physical? Was he not feeling well?

Generally the liver does not feel pain. There are no pain nerve receptors in the liver. I have liver cirrhosis for over 8 years now and do not feel pain in my liver area. However the capsule that surrounds the liver does have pain receptors. This pain could be from pressure exerted from an enlarged organ or a long list of other possibilities

From the Mayo Clinic web page

The following conditions often cause upper right abdominal pain:

Appendicitis
    Cholangitis (bile duct inflammation)
    Diverticulitis
    Fecal impaction (hardened stool that can't be eliminated)
    Gallbladder cancer
    Hepatitis
    Gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining)
    Hepatitis (liver inflammation)
    Hiatal hernia
    Injury
    Intestinal obstruction
    Kidney cancer
    Kidney infection
    Kidney stones
    Liver abscess (pus-filled pocket in the liver)
    Liver cancer
    Liver hemangioma
    Pancreatic cancer
    Pancreatitis (pancreas inflammation)
    Peptic ulcer
    Pericarditis (inflammation of the tissue around the heart)
    Pleurisy (inflammation of the membrane surrounding your lungs)
    Pneumonia
    Pulmonary infarction (loss of blood flow to the lungs)
    Pyloric stenosis (in infants)
    Shingles
    Stomach cancer

http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/abdominal-pain/basics/causes/sym-20050728

Hope some of this helps

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:11:50 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline KGP

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 10:58:36 pm »
He is getting a ct scan next week! He has pain near liver we don't know if it's radiating from that or not, all scary, just like having people's opinions before I even know what's going on...

Offline KGP

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 11:01:44 pm »
He went to doc initially for stomach pain, in which he thought was maybe an ulcer, ultrasound showed scarring on liver and they did allll sorts of blood tests and all came out negative,

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 12:15:22 am »
I don't believe but could be incorrect that an ultrasound can show liver scarring. It can show the surface texture of the liver if it appears rough and course as it would appear with cirrhosis. Really ultrasound is not normally used to diagnose liver cirrhosis.

The tests used to diagnose liver cirrhosis could be a blood test called a fibrosure or a test similar to an ultrasound but with a probe that generates a sort of thump to see how stiff the liver is this is called a fibroscan or a liver biopsy this is where they use a needle to take a small piece of liver and examine under the microscope.

Do you know what tests were run and what exactly were the results? Do you have copies?

What kind of doctor has he seen? Is his doctor a gastroenterologist or a general practitioner? If not he should get a referral to a gastro they can best diagnose things going on in the abdomen.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline KGP

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 10:09:46 am »
I don't have his actual test results in hand, but they tested for all hep panel, iron, copper, wilsons diseas, etc and yes he was referred to a gastro...thank goodness! The ultra sound did indicate scarring, but they can't be certain obviously because ultrasounds are never all that accurate. We may think it's an autoimmune thing, this whole waiting period sucks though...what symptoms did you have when you were in stage 3 or 4 of cirrhosis? And is it called cirrhosis in stage 2? Or would that be fibrosis? Thank you for quickly responding! I appreciate it! Shows that we aren't alone...

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 02:07:03 am »
As far as the "F" numbers a normal liver is at a stage between F0 and F1. Stage F2 denotes light fibrosis, and F3 is severe fibrosis. 'Cirrhosis' is defined from stage F4, when scar tissue exists throughout the liver.

So only F4 is called cirrhosis anything less is increasing amounts of fibrosis or liver scarring.

I had zero idea I had cirrhosis. All I knew was as I had each liver biopsy at 5 year intervals I went from F1 to F2 to F3 and finally F4 cirrhosis. I have always felt more or less fine.

After I was diagnosed the only symptom I have ever noticed is I have some lower leg swelling called pitting edema which is caused by my liver cirrhosis.

The other problems I have had are only detected on testing like my low platelet count due to portal hypertension and I also developed esophageal varicies (enlarged blood vessels in the esophagus) that I had banded. Those were found on my 3rd upper endoscopy. On my first I had grade 1 varicies on my 2nd I had grade 2 varicies and on the third they had increased further to grade 3. But again this was not something I felt. They were only visible on upper endoscopy.

There are many causes of liver cirrhosis other than Hep C or Hep B or drinking too much alcohol. In fact not every one in those categories ever develop liver damage.

I got this from the Mayo clinic web site

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cirrhosis/symptoms-causes/dxc-20187350

A wide range of diseases and conditions can damage the liver and lead to cirrhosis. The most common causes are:

Chronic alcohol abuse
    Chronic viral hepatitis (hepatitis B and C)
    Fat accumulating in the liver (nonalcoholic fatty liver disease)

Other possible causes include:

Iron buildup in the body (hemochromatosis)
    Cystic fibrosis
    Copper accumulated in the liver (Wilson's disease)
    Poorly formed bile ducts (biliary atresia)
    Inherited disorders of sugar metabolism (galactosemia or glycogen storage disease)
    Genetic digestive disorder (Alagille syndrome)
    Liver disease caused by your body's immune system (autoimmune hepatitis)
    Destruction of the bile ducts (primary biliary cirrhosis)
    Hardening and scarring of the bile ducts (primary sclerosing cholangitis)
    Infection such schistosomiasis
    Medications such as methotrexate

I am sure his doctors are working hard to determine the root cause of his illness, find out how much damage he actually has and then they will set up a treatment plan for him.

As far as liver damage hopefully his gastro will get him a fibroscan test to try to determine the extent of his liver damage.

Here is something I found about fibroscan

http://www.uhn.ca/PatientsFamilies/Health_Information/Health_Topics/Documents/FibroScan_Liver_Disease.pdf

http://hepatitiscnewdrugresearch.com/fibroscan-results-the-scoring-card.html

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/FibroScan_Scoring_Card_for_Liver_Stiffness_Diagnosis.png

Best of luck to you both
Lynn
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:09:16 am by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.