Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:33:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 119
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 95
Total: 95

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: waiting on mri  (Read 14182 times)

Offline bubbles62

waiting on mri
« on: September 18, 2016, 06:35:48 pm »
hello all--new member here , After 30 years infected i am free of hep c virus (have cirrhosis though)after 12 weeks of harvoni---just a rant i guess .
  when i went to have varicies checked the dr told me the were very minor and to recheck in 2 years. Then i went for a scheduled ultra sound and when i returned home , within an hour my hep nurse called and said we found a couple of spots on liver during ultrasound and that they have to send me for a mri . Well that was three months ago and no word from any healthcare people at all-(not sure if an appointment was even made)- i phoned hep nurse twice and left a message and sent an email as well to check on appt and let them know i am willing to travel around the province to have one. I work at a major hospital that performs mri everyday and could fill in for a cancellation immediately.--After 2 weeks i get a reply from hep nurse advising me to call her secretary and check with her. I am so stressed out and worried that this is cancer that i cant enjoy being clear of this awful virus. I am having some discomfort in lower torso area--almost like a pulled muscle---I am just so stressed --seems like the clinic is forgetting about me :(
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 07:22:21 pm by bubbles62 »

Offline andrew j

Re: waiting on mri
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 07:25:54 pm »
Sounds scary, Bubbles.

Get back onto them, and tell them you need this test yesterday.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
We are with you.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 12:54:40 am »
Oh my yes don't let them forget about you CALL THEM and call them again get that appointment ASAP! If possible show up at the office be the squeaky wheel on the one.

Not to frighten you but we lost a member early this year she was cured and then something showed up on her ultrasound. Get that test!

My thoughts are with you too! Please let us know how you are doing!
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Mike716

• Here's looking at you. . .
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 01:34:47 am »
I can't believe what that clinic is putting you through, Bubbles. It's inhuman and makes me furious. If you've got spots, you can't wait. They should have called you in for an MRI the very next day. Now, don't wait a day longer, put your stress-energy to work by dogging them. Get all over them, by phone, email, or any other way. If the nurse doesn't respond, go to her superior. Hell, call the directors of the clinic and yell at them. And if the clinic won't do it like right away, get it done yourself somewhere, anywhere. But get that MRI done. Now.
Diag. 2008: HCV geno 1a
Biopsy 2008: F1-F2
Fibroscan 2012: F2-F3
Fibrotest 2015: F4 (& AST 150)
Tx 2015: Sovaldi+Olysio, 12 wks.
EOT+3mos. VL: UND
EOT+15 mos. VL: UND

Offline bubbles62

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 08:18:12 am »
well i just got off phone with hep nurse (told secretary i would stay on hold until i get to talk to her)--i told nurse that i was not too happy about waiting so long for a  MRI-.
she told me that there is an extremely long list and she is doing her best. i reminded her that she called me after my early July ultrasound(one hour after i got home from appt.) and told me i really need to get in for an MRI , why would you call me like that and scare the shit out of me and then make me wait so long?--she then proceeded to tell me not too stress too much about spots as they appear to be fatty spots from what she and radiologist can tell from ultrasound (She also said my recent bloodwork looks great-platelets are even going up--were at 57 now at 72).--i told her i was very stressed out and that i wanted a mri asap!  --i hung up the phone and 10 minutes later the secretary called me back and has an apt for mri in November or sooner if there is a cancellation.. i am wondering if i am getting slower responses because i was in clinic twelve years ago and refused interferon treatment--they had everything set to go and at the last minute i chickened out and didn't go back to clinic until i heard about  harvoni----so it looks like november for me

Offline andrew j

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 08:18:45 pm »
Hi Bubbles,

It sounds as if they at least have a sensitivity towards your situation now.
Maybe they'll be able to flick something up for you before November?

... Maybe a gentle check in with them in a week or two?
Easy for me to say, I know.

(There won't be any weirdness there because you backed away from that interferon treatment.
They're in a constantly changing scenario - and besides, everyone knows how crap interferon treatment is).

Offline Mike716

• Here's looking at you. . .
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 12:09:54 am »
November? What kind of health plan is it that allows you to get an MRI at only one place? Why can't you do it where there's less traffic?

When I hear these things I get so angry. I left the States twelve years ago because of the terrible health services there, the inaccessibility, the indifference, the bad attention, and the unbelievable costs. Even here in the so-called third world (Argentina) no hospital would dare tell a patient they had to wait three months for an MRI after spots were found on their liver. Such bad medical attention is unthinkable here, or anywhere else in the civilized world.

Of course, in the States you can take a hospital or clinic to court and sue them for bad treatment, which is much harder to do in other countries. But what good are the courts if you're dead?

M.
Diag. 2008: HCV geno 1a
Biopsy 2008: F1-F2
Fibroscan 2012: F2-F3
Fibrotest 2015: F4 (& AST 150)
Tx 2015: Sovaldi+Olysio, 12 wks.
EOT+3mos. VL: UND
EOT+15 mos. VL: UND

Offline brie41

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 12:40:35 pm »
Hi Bubbles,

I am sorry for the stressful situation you are dealing with.  They tell you something so scary and then leave you hanging.  It is always the not knowing that is the hardest.  Well I will be hoping that the Nurse is right and it is not anything too bad.  Wishing you the best and hopefully a cancellation will open up for you.  Brie
Diagnosed  HCV, 1A 2006
Viral load 6 million
Ast/Alt always in the 20's
F0-F1, never changed
Treatment naive, started 8 week Harvoni 3/15/16
4 and 8 week labs undetected
6 week eot labs undetected
13 week eot UNDETECTED!

Offline bubbles62

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 08:51:50 pm »
thanks all--unfortunately the Canadian health care system is very lacking , especially in the maritime provinces--to have one done out of pocket is around $1100(may as well be a million right now) --like i said before , i have been working in the hospital for 30 years and it does nothing to move me along the process any sooner , maybe if i was a doctor. i am very distressed about all of this and it is very hard on the head going to work everyday and keeping a smile for the patients sake -this looming concern has really deflated me on being undetected.. sorry for another rant ---both sad and angry :( >:(

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 09:12:30 pm »
I am sure we all are sad, angry and concerned for you too

Hang in there we are all pulling for you
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 06:11:04 pm »
My only experience of Canadian health care was a broken arm sustained in Cuba but treated in Vancouver, so what im about to say may be completely irrelevant, but in Australia they will get you in super quickly if they are really concerned. If it's a "we aren't  really worried, we are just double checking to rule something bad out" scenario, you slide further down the priority list. 

I've always rather liked the "no rush" tests. They reassure me. It's the "we  need you here now" tests that concern me.

But of course all of this is from an Australian context. And I wouldn't be happy to be worried and waiting.
CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

Offline LightBeingAtLast

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 11:22:39 am »
Sorry to hear how dismissive you were treated by your health care providers.  Be the squeaky wheel.  It gets the grease.  If you work there, stop in every day or every other day in the scheduling department and get your face in front of them.  Sad but true, if you become a pest, they generally want to get you out of their hair.

Until then, use some imagery meditation, sending light and healing to your liver.  Woo woo I know, but I believe!
64 yo female
Dx Oct 20, 2000
Type 1b
VL 32 mil
Liver biopsy 1979 nonspecific reactive hepatitis
Liver biopsy 2001 stage 1 of 4
Liver biopsy 2007 stage 2
Fibrosure 2015  stage 2
2016 August liver scan stage 4
9/3/16  began Harvoni. Treatment naive.

Offline bubbles62

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 07:21:59 pm »
hello all--new member here , After 30 years infected i am free of hep c virus (have cirrhosis though)after 12 weeks of harvoni---just a rant i guess .
  when i went to have varicies checked the dr told me the were very minor and to recheck in 2 years. Then i went for a scheduled ultra sound and when i returned home , within an hour my hep nurse called and said we found a couple of spots on liver during ultrasound and that they have to send me for a mri . Well that was three months ago and no word from any healthcare people at all-(not sure if an appointment was even made)- i phoned hep nurse twice and left a message and sent an email as well to check on appt and let them know i am willing to travel around the province to have one. I work at a major hospital that performs mri everyday and could fill in for a cancellation immediately.--After 2 weeks i get a reply from hep nurse advising me to call her secretary and check with her. I am so stressed out and worried that this is cancer that i cant enjoy being clear of this awful virus. I am having some discomfort in lower torso area--almost like a pulled muscle---I am just so stressed --seems like the clinic is forgetting about me :(

well it turns out it is hcc and am currently at 4 months on transplant list with an average wait time of 6 to nine months--transplant team seems confident that i will be transplanted soon --i have no other cancer and my work up went flawlessly--no acites no sign of vascular invasion and i am still working full time ... just makes me angry that i am 6 months behind on treatment due to the long wait for mri--my liver dr is not happy about this either and stated that my file should have went to him when i had ultrasound and not waited for mri --he suggested that i put a formal complaint in but i just want to concentrate on staying healthy at this time and not stress myself over something i cant change--i had some tace treatment done and it seems to have stopped the growth of tumor whic is under 1 inch--wish me luck as i am trying my best to stay optimistic about this frightening turn of events  :(

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 08:11:23 pm »
Bubbles62, I'm sure I speak for everyone who reads this thread that we are indeed wishing you luck. You're doing your part by wisely putting the complaint aside for now (why intensify your anger?) and concentrating on staying healthy.

While you wait for your new liver, what activities make you feel most fully alive? Whittling down duties to the bare minimum and increasing what feeds your soul usually makes the time pass more quickly, and it probably helps your immune system do its job better.

". . . deep peace of the flowing air to you
deep peace of the shining stars to you
deep peace of the quiet earth to you
deep peace of the gentle night to you . . ."

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 08:12:51 pm »
OH my gosh Bubbles!

So sorry to read this news.

Wishing you to receive your transplant soon and a quick recovery

Please let us know how it is going if you can I guess there is often not alot of notice when you transplant is available.

Sending hugs and best wishes your way :(
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline andrew j

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 11:06:21 pm »
... Tough break, Bubbles.

I have wondered how you were doing - and, like the others - send you love and prayers - and all good things.

You can do this.

Something that may be of interest:

There's a blogger here - her name is Karen Hoyt - and she's been through the whole process.
I think she's part of a support network.
I used to read her blogs, and found them really inspiring.
You should check her out?

Once again - you know ...

Lots of love,
A.

Offline CureSeeker

• Virus Free! Happy Dance Time!
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 06:01:42 am »
It seems 'the force' is with you Bubbles, in that, it sounds like you are going into this diagnosis in good physical shape, all things considered.  It's good news indeed that the tumor is 'contained'.

I'm wishing you the best of luck in securing a new liver and renewed life.  Stay positive! :)
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

~ Arthur Conan Doyle

Genotype 3a, F 0-1
Sovaldi & Ribavirin x 24 weeks

2/23/16 - UNDETECTED!  SVR12 achieved.  :D
6/21/17 - UNDETECTED!  1.5 years post treatment.
July 2018 - UNDETECTED!

Offline bubbles62

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 11:07:39 pm »
well it happened!
3 weeks ago while i was at work i got the phone call i have been waiting on .i was told to go home and get my belongings and make all the phone calls i needed to make as they finally got a compatible liver for me . then i had to return to the same hospital i work at and get admitted for transplant the following morning.
   After 14 hours on the table , my surgery was deemed a sucsess, and i was off to icu.one day later i was sent to step down unit and two days after that to my private room. another week after observation and allowing incision to heel and control the post op pain i was allowed to go home , with biweekly followup clinic appts. my followup appointment yesterday was amazing with all blood levels right where they should be and was told i look fantastic. still have a bit of pain being controlled with tylenol and a wee bit of morphine. i am not saying it was all uneventful but so far i am very happy with how my procedure went---if anyone has any questions feel free to contact me

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 12:07:35 am »
Wow congrats on getting your transplant and so happy to hear things are going well for you post procedure!

Wishing you success with your continued are going
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 05:48:24 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline andrew j

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 03:27:18 pm »
Yes ... and from me, too.

It's great that you are sounding so upbeat.

Hoping that you are having a good day!

Best wishes,
A.

Offline CureSeeker

• Virus Free! Happy Dance Time!
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 12:53:47 pm »
What a great holiday gift!  Congratulations, Bubbles!  Please keep us posted on how you progress.  :D
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

~ Arthur Conan Doyle

Genotype 3a, F 0-1
Sovaldi & Ribavirin x 24 weeks

2/23/16 - UNDETECTED!  SVR12 achieved.  :D
6/21/17 - UNDETECTED!  1.5 years post treatment.
July 2018 - UNDETECTED!

Offline I fightis thetitis

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 11:51:46 pm »
Yeah Bubbles!
So happy to hear this. Congrats and I look forward to reading your updates.

Question: Do you recall when your last ultrasound was prior to the one they found spots?
Were you getting ultra sounds every 6 mos?
I am curious to know your timeline.
When was your prev US, when your hep c tx started, and when your last US was which appears to be July 2016??

Best of luck with your new liver!!

Greg

M59  56@start of TX. date infected:1976
diagnosed 1997 - asymtomatic
Genotype 1a
AST 111 -ALT 124 - AFP -89
Viral Load 1900000 - Log 6.28
Fibro Test F4 ActiTest A3
Harvoni 24 wks - start date 11/24/15

6 Week Labs VL Undetected!
104 weeks EOT Undetected.

8/25/17 Fibrosure score 80 = F4
11/10/17 Fibroscan 7.5 mean 1.6 m/s = F2
8/2018 Ultra sound normal.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.