Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:53:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 93
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 80
Total: 80

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Your brain  (Read 13998 times)

Offline Mike Conwell

Your brain
« on: October 27, 2016, 06:39:02 am »
Does anyone else feel as though their brain has been fried by Harvoni?

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
Re: Your brain
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 06:52:25 am »
I didn't take harvoni- I was on VP + riba. I feel clear headed and not nearly as forgetful as I was.

I juggle lots of information, numbers, budget figures, data, names and dates in my head as part of my job as a school principal and have to say it's been much easier since I got rid of the virus.
CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 08:28:45 am »
Mike, sorry that has been your experience. Mine's the opposite -- I'm amazed at how fast my post-Harvoni brain is, and my memory's better, too. -Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Ledoc01

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:55:53 am »
Interesting how the affects are all over the place. It's now been 14 months since I got the call saying I was cured. Oh ya.. after switching my doc I had a 1 year post test and was still UD :-)
I had the 12 week Harv treatment and a roller coaster (minimal side effects my rear lol) ride from the twilight zone. At the worst.. my brain fog was such that I couldn't put a sentence together. Reading comprehension? Forget it. My favorite publication, "Foreign Affairs" became coffee table deco.... like I knew what those words meant (mostly) individually... but putting them together and extracting the meaning? LOL .. "as if"! I may as well have been attempting to read Chinese. At this point while much better I still have residual effects. My abilities as a conversationalist have been severely impacted....not only is it frustrating as all hell.. it's really embarrassing. I can just lose my train of thought in mid stream. The worst is if I am trying to lay out a scenario which requires me to tag several diverse (oft abstract) segments and then bring them all together into a cohesive flow. People are polite...but you can see it  in them... they are wondering.. "is dude on drugs or is it early onset <insert bad memory flavor here> nailing him? I don't know if this is here to stay or if I will continue to improve. So as we speak.. I am indeed glad that my lifespan has probably been extended as a result of being cured. Mind...tbh I did not note effects related to my C...I didn't discover I had it for some time. In my ignorance... I thought there was but one way to get it and.. not fitting that demographic I never had it checked. I just hope that with this extended stay.. I can restore the quality. Hopefully that makes sense.

Offline Mike Conwell

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 09:16:21 am »
Sounds just like me

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 09:47:38 am »
Those sound like problems I had when I had active HCV.. Since the cure, its been way  better, if not completely gone.
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 03:20:11 pm »
Each of us is so different in how our body reacts to the drugs, and reacts to clearing the virus after years/decades of living with it. My mental function improved noticeably, and while I was still on treatment. And that improvement (in memory, mental clarity, complex thinking, optimism) has remained post-treatment, for which I am very thankful. Great to have my brain back. I really missed it all those years. However, the treatment took a great toll on me physically and has unleashed serious problems that I did not have, or was not aware of having, pre-treatment. I am actively engaged in various non-toxic health protocols of my own design to unwind all that. And it is slowly working.

Good luck to all of us engaged in health recovery work! :)

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 12:53:48 am »
Even with having hep c for 37 years and cirrhosis for 9 years now I personally never experienced brain fog or anything like it.

Treated with Harvoni for 24 weeks and ribavirin for 15 of those weeks. Only note worthy symptom was anemia from the riba that resolved within 10 days of stopping treatment

Post treatment maybe I have a little more energy otherwise don't really feel any different physically.

Mentally I am greatly relieved that I may live to see my old age that I will live for more than just a few more years.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline morab

• Lives in the woods
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 11:15:07 am »
I didn't take harvoni- I was on VP + riba. I feel clear headed and not nearly as forgetful as I was.

I juggle lots of information, numbers, budget figures, data, names and dates in my head as part of my job as a school principal and have to say it's been much easier since I got rid of the virus.
My head ache has never left, before harvoni i rarely had a head ache, on tx and still I have one every day. It drives me nuts, I am feeling better in some ways but others? Not so good, I am working again but at a really slow pace. My head feels like an inflated balloon about to pop and this is nagging on me.
But my family have all noticed my brain fog you are mentioning, i have problems with communication, listening skills and just down right responding to others.
3/2016 G 1a
Alt 84
Ast 62
Fibrosis score lab 0.66
quantitation 894,670
4/23/16 day 6, naive Harvoni 12 week treatment
5/27/16 week 4 lab results UNDETECTED AST 23 ALT17

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 12:06:03 pm »
My head ache has never left, before harvoni i rarely had a head ache, on tx and still I have one every day. It drives me nuts, I am feeling better in some ways but others? Not so good, I am working again but at a really slow pace. My head feels like an inflated balloon about to pop and this is nagging on me.
But my family have all noticed my brain fog you are mentioning, i have problems with communication, listening skills and just down right responding to others.
Morab, it hurts to read of your difficulties. When you write, "My head feels like an inflated balloon about to pop and this is nagging on me," that sounds like there might be some brain swelling. If so, the medical term is encephalitis (inflammation of the brain caused by infection or an allergic reaction). When you ask a doctor about it, perhaps it's better not to mention the Harvoni right away, but simply say that starting around <date>, you've had a never-ending headache that makes your head feel like an inflated balloon about to pop. This way, the doctor doesn't prematurely rule anything out or in. Good luck getting a diagnosis and relief!

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Luna7

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 12:55:37 pm »
Hi Morab,

I'm sorry to hear about your brain fog -- for me few things have been as frustrating. I have been plagued with brain fog, both from HCV and what I determined to be a digestive issue that even increased my ammonia levels (don't have much damage to the liver that would cause this). 
The brain fog caused by HCV has cleared up but I continue to work on the other type. My daughter has health issues too where brain healing is needed (brain cancer), so needless to say I have been researching all this like crazy, and recently sent this info to a UK friend who has some issues, hence some UK links.

HCV is found in the brain, and I read a recent study that said the blood-brain barrier is hospitable to replication. I suspect those with brain fog don't have a blood-brain barrier in the greatest shape, and this lets toxins into the brain.
Other studies say that what heals the gut (all the fermented & probiotic stuff) also heals the blood-brain barrier.

A drink made from whey powder, and a cup of bone broth, and kombucha (or fermented veggies) is the winning combination -- I start each day with it. Taking it in close proximity each day in the morning gives amazing results for me.
It's really not too hard or time-consuming once u get the hang of it. I make the bone broth ahead of time fro a week, and the kombucha comes pre-made from the health food store -- so I just drink the bone broth & kombucha (or fermented veggies) already made each morn and whip up a whey smoothie drink.
Give it about a month to see results, but after 2 days my depression and brain fog lessened so sometimes works sooner.

Good fats like real olive oil and coconut oil are important for the brain too.

When your brain is feeling especially inflamed try some olive leaf extract from a reputable source, taken on an empty stomach.
https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Encapsulations-Hypoallergenic-Supplement-Environment/dp/B003JON3NK/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1478364115&sr=8-4&keywords=olive+leaf+extract+pure

BONE BROTH

Bone broth is different from plain broth in that it's boiled for many hours and contains nutritious stuff from the bones & collagen that support brain health.
I can't emphasize enough how this stuff supports brain health. Grandma's chicken soup vindicated! lol  And in the old days they were smart and used to chew on bones.

You can do this in a slow cooker if you don't want to leave a pot on the stove for hours. Or get and Instant Pot that makes it in 2 1/2 hours (a new kind of pressure cooker).
Just add good bones to a pot (from organic, grass fed cows, or organic free-range chickens -- fed non-GMO food and raised with no growth hormones or antibiotics).
I cook a chicken then use the meat and save the bones for later.
It's getting easier and easier to find good sources now but you will probably have to search around or ask at the health food store. Butchers have soup bones too.
Add a few veggies (few carrots, onions, garlic - or look online for recipes) and cook, then strain and refrigerate.

WHEY SMOOTHIE DRINK

Great brand here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007FCPUS8?psc=1 (U.S. Amazon has it too)
I linked to the vanilla variety but they have other flavors that are sweetened (supposedly not with bad stuff but best check. I get the plain and use Nustevia plus vanilla or almond flavoring)
It's organic, from grass-fed cows, GMO & antibiotics-free,non-denatured.
Look @ all the stuff in the last window -- those are what the brain needs to function well.

Sweeten with Nustevia as it has less of a bitter taste:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nunaturals-LSTEV-PLAS-2-NuNaturals-Clear-Stevia/dp/B00009Q95J/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1478198437&sr=8-4&keywords=nustevia (U.S. Amazon has it too)

Recipe FOR WHEY DRINK
12 drops of Nustevia
Vanilla extract, cocoa, lemon extract, almond extract or whatever u want
1 scoop whey powder
Half cup water
5 or so ice cubes.
Blend for one minute, and the whey creates a thick yummy substance to eat with a spoon - like whipped cream

KOMBUCHA
This can be found in the health food store. Must be raw and usually will say so on bottle (don't want pasteurized as that removes the good stuff). It's kind of pricey but I just have half a bottle every other day (8 ounces).
It provides the enzymes that digests the bone broth and whey drink, among other things that support gut/brain health.
Our gut -- all those micro-organisms - is the biggest part of our immune system, and there is a connection between gut health & brain health.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FERMENTED VEGGIES (taken with each meal)

KIMCHI or Fermented veggies from health food store (I use fermented cabbage, but it must be in the refrigerated section and not something in a can as it has to have the live stuffs in it).
I take a bit here and there with meals, and it supports digestion, provides enzyme creation, and helps the gut/brain thing with lots of micro-organisms that help the immune system.
Yogurt has probiotics too, but there are loads of them and fermented veggies have many more varieties.

I am finding that fermented veggies is working as well as the kombucha for me, taken with each meal.
Between F2 & F3
Alt & Ast nearly 100
Viral load over 8 million
Gt 3a

Treated 12 weeks with Sovaldi & Daklinza, start date mid-April 2016
Undetected at 4 weeks into treatment
Alt & Ast  normal
Treatment completed July 14
Most likely will be undetected at 12 weeks (mid October 2016) as symptoms are gone

Offline Wiglaf

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 09:55:49 pm »
Luna7, I was in Trader Joe's yesterday. Noticed in the section devoted to TJ's new products Bone Broth. Didn't think much of it then. Next visit, I will  purchase some and try out your recipe. I still have some daily brain fog and wake up with a minor headache every morning. The head ache goes away within five minutes but the annoying brain fog persists 24/7.
Contracted: 1969
Treatment: Naïve
Geno 1A
VL: 15,900,000
ALT 38, AST 37
Belirubin 1.3
TX start date: Mar 2, 2015
Harvoni and Ribavirin (1200 mg)
EOT (24 weeks) 5/25/15 undetected
6 mths post TX: undetected 11/24/15
ALT 10, AST 17
Belirubin 0.8

Offline morab

• Lives in the woods
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 12:05:11 am »
Wig
It is disturbing to see that you are a 2015 graduate and still having brain fog and headaches.
This is not our imagination, either the tx, or getting rid of hep c has done something long lasting to us that is not good
morab
3/2016 G 1a
Alt 84
Ast 62
Fibrosis score lab 0.66
quantitation 894,670
4/23/16 day 6, naive Harvoni 12 week treatment
5/27/16 week 4 lab results UNDETECTED AST 23 ALT17

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 12:15:39 am »
Wow Luna

I can't even imagine eating that stuff I am glad it works for you but for me the mere thought curdles my stomach especially the fermented vegetables
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline andrew j

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 05:49:52 pm »
Ha! Ha! Ha!

You know - I got into the habit of drinking plenty of water when I still had Hep C
(Yay!!!) - and throughout Tx of course.

I only have a small piece of fruit for breakfast - it's almost like fasting - and I still drink plenty of water.
I'm amazed, still - how good that is for energising me, and making me feel normal again [if I've been getting a bit out there!]
Mind you - I'm only 5 months post-treatment - so maybe my liver is still trying to heal itself.

Offline Luna7

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 05:59:52 pm »
Wow Luna

I can't even imagine eating that stuff I am glad it works for you but for me the mere thought curdles my stomach especially the fermented vegetables

Lynn, the beauty of fungus awaits you :)
Between F2 & F3
Alt & Ast nearly 100
Gt 3a

Alt & Ast  normal
Most likely will be undetected at 12 weeks (mid October 2016) as symptoms are gone

Offline Luna7

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 06:02:16 pm »
Luna7, I was in Trader Joe's yesterday. Noticed in the section devoted to TJ's new products Bone Broth. Didn't think much of it then. Next visit, I will  purchase some and try out your recipe. I still have some daily brain fog and wake up with a minor headache every morning. The head ache goes away within five minutes but the annoying brain fog persists 24/7.

I hope you get rid of that brain fog. I can't even imagine having it 24/7 again.
It's amazing what's in traditional stores now...such healthy food :)  Now whether I should support Walmart is another matter...
Between F2 & F3
Alt & Ast nearly 100
Gt 3a

Alt & Ast  normal

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 01:50:50 pm »
Hi Luna

Does mushrooms on my pizza count?  :o
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.