Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:14:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 73
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 65
Total: 65

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Need information regarding transmission through broken skin  (Read 16251 times)

Offline winkawak

Need information regarding transmission through broken skin
« on: October 20, 2016, 04:53:19 pm »
will it be a risk if a 12 hours old small cut or scraped skin not bleeding at the time when came in contact with possible hep c blood? is 12 hours enough time for body to create a barrier on the wound to prevent hep c/hiv from entering the body?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 04:56:36 pm by winkawak »

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Need information regarding transmission through broken skin
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 11:43:52 pm »
No risk.

Hep c infected blood must enter the blood stream.

One route could be an open wound. An open wound would be one that is wet and weeping. Plus the hep c infected blood has to enter the blood stream not just contact an old abrasion
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline winkawak

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 11:54:27 pm »
No risk.

Hep c infected blood must enter the blood stream.

One route could be an open wound. An open wound would be one that is wet and weeping. Plus the hep c infected blood has to enter the blood stream not just contact an old abrasion
Kinda wanted your opinion instead of copying and pasting or you two the same person?

Does that also apply to a cut or scrape skin still being alittle red but not bleeding? Does it still provide enough protection against hep c/Hiv?

What about micro tears thats not visible to the eyes? Saw few articles stating it as a way of transmission.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 12:21:57 am »
Yes I am the same person from the other forum.

"Does that also apply to a cut or scrape skin still being alittle red but not bleeding? Does it still provide enough protection against hep c/Hiv?"

The cut is not bleeding there is no open wound and thus not a route of entry

"What about micro tears thats not visible to the eyes? Saw few articles stating it as a way of transmission."

I have never seen anything like this on a reputable web site.

The cut must be open. Wet and weeping a scrape with no bleeding is not an open wound. Hep c infected blood must enter your blood stream it has to have an entry route broken skin and open would that is bleeding and even with that the bleeding will tend to push anything out not in.

Hep c is not very easily transmitted. It has to get into your blood.

Here is a link to a good source of information from the US CDC

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hcv/cfaq.htm

If you still have concerns wait 6 months and get tested. However your odds of infection are almost non existent
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:24:31 am by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline winkawak

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 12:33:16 am »
Yes I am the same person from the other forum.

"Does that also apply to a cut or scrape skin still being alittle red but not bleeding? Does it still provide enough protection against hep c/Hiv?"

The cut is not bleeding there is no open wound and thus not a route of entry

"What about micro tears thats not visible to the eyes? Saw few articles stating it as a way of transmission."

I have never seen anything like this on a reputable web site.

The cut must be open. Wet and weeping a scrape with no bleeding is not an open wound. Hep c infected blood must enter your blood stream it has to have an entry route broken skin and open would that is bleeding and even with that the bleeding will tend to push anything out not in.

Hep c is not very easily transmitted. It has to get into your blood.

Here is a link to a good source of information from the US CDC

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hcv/cfaq.htm

If you still have concerns wait 6 months and get tested. However your odds of infection are almost non existent

Thanks, can a wound be considered a mucous membrane? if so wouldn't it pose a risk?

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 12:49:30 am »
A mucous membrane is a part of the human anatomy here is a definition:

A mucous membrane or mucosa is a membrane that lines various cavities in the body and surrounds internal organs. It consists of one or more layers of epithelial cells overlying a layer of loose connective tissue. It is of ectodermal origin and is continuous with the skin at various body openings such as the eyes, ears, nose and mouth, the urethral opening and the anus. Some mucous membranes secrete mucus, a thick protective fluid. The function of the membrane is to stop pathogens and dirt from entering the body and to prevent bodily tissues from becoming dehydrated.

Definition of wound
    a :  an injury to the body (as from violence, accident, or surgery) that typically involves laceration or breaking of a membrane (as the skin) and usually damage to underlying tissues

A wound is a wound it is an injury it is not a mucous membrane which is a part of your anatomy. A wound can occur anywhere on your body. On your skin, cutting into a muscle if the wound is deep. If for example you have an injury to a mucous membrane say a wound inside your nose in your nasal mucous membrane then you would have an injury a wound in your mucous membrane.

Mucous membranes are not a point of entry for hep c hep c required blood to blood contact.

If you have concerns still with this very low level of risk get tested then you will know anything else is conjecture.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline winkawak

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 01:04:40 am »
Thanks

Offline winkawak

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 12:02:19 pm »
A mucous membrane is a part of the human anatomy here is a definition:

A mucous membrane or mucosa is a membrane that lines various cavities in the body and surrounds internal organs. It consists of one or more layers of epithelial cells overlying a layer of loose connective tissue. It is of ectodermal origin and is continuous with the skin at various body openings such as the eyes, ears, nose and mouth, the urethral opening and the anus. Some mucous membranes secrete mucus, a thick protective fluid. The function of the membrane is to stop pathogens and dirt from entering the body and to prevent bodily tissues from becoming dehydrated.

Definition of wound
    a :  an injury to the body (as from violence, accident, or surgery) that typically involves laceration or breaking of a membrane (as the skin) and usually damage to underlying tissues

A wound is a wound it is an injury it is not a mucous membrane which is a part of your anatomy. A wound can occur anywhere on your body. On your skin, cutting into a muscle if the wound is deep. If for example you have an injury to a mucous membrane say a wound inside your nose in your nasal mucous membrane then you would have an injury a wound in your mucous membrane.

Mucous membranes are not a point of entry for hep c hep c required blood to blood contact.

If you have concerns still with this very low level of risk get tested then you will know anything else is conjecture.

Are there any study or information on superficial/ small wound/cut slight bleeding transmission rate/risk?
Is it considered to be lowered than needle stick?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:04:59 pm by winkawak »

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 12:50:59 pm »
Are there any study or information on superficial/ small wound/cut slight bleeding transmission rate/risk?

As there is no risk that has not been studied as far as I am aware.

Is it considered to be lowered than needle stick?

Well as there is no entry route to the blood stream with out puncture of the skin it would only make sense there would be significantly less risk approaching zero.

Just to add this is a support group of patients who come together to help each other dealing with being infected with hep c, treatment, and insurance questions based in our  experiences as patients.

We here are not medical providers just people who read a lot. We cannot diagnose any medical condition. If you have medical questions or concerns your best and first choice should always be your doctor.

If you continue to have concerns about infection get tested. Seriously though I think perhaps your greatest health issue is focusing so much mental energy on an illness you very likely do not have that is currently almost totally curable. Have you considered talking to a doctor about your anxiety about things that are of low probability to be an issue that you can't seem to get out of your mind?

I really don't know how many more ways I can say that you most likely have no risk with the situation you are describing.

Best of luck to you.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline winkawak

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 01:42:50 pm »
Sorry my ocv get the best of me sometimes as the incident replays over and over in my mind. What if this what if that, trying to calculate my risk with every possible ifs.
Reason i asked very specific question is because i had a situation where skin on top of my index finger middle knuckle broke off. It didnt seem to bleed when it happened but the next day 12 hours later it had some red to it(tiny red blood dot around the tear skin that cant be wiped off, not sure if its under the skin).

Then as i was talking to my neighbor whos a mechanic im guessing with this proffesion tend to get hand injuries often shook my hand couple times as we were talking. I didnt think much of it at the time but started to freak out on what ifs and if 12 hours was enough for the scraped/dmaged skin to create a barrier in case he hand cuts on his hand. His eyes were also abit yellow

btw should i be worrying about hiv with this situation?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 02:20:13 pm by winkawak »

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 03:31:08 pm »
Neither hep c or HIV or any blood borne medical condition I can think of is transmitted that way.

You don't know he had hep c or HIV only a small percent of the population has these illnesses. They are not easily transmitted if they were a lot more people would have them.

Even if he had hep c it is not transmitted in this way as I have said hep c has to enter your blood stream. Shaking hands would not force hep c containing blood into your body through a closed minor injury it just can't happen.

I don't know what else I can tell you. Please see your doctor about treatment for your anxieties is my best suggestion or speak with a counselor.

If you are concerned get tested to put your mind at ease. Your risk is near zero.

“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.”
– Leo F. Buscaglia
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.