Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:58:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 87
Total: 87

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Blood Draw Anxiety. Please just tell me I'm being ridiculous.  (Read 13019 times)

Offline lana8900

Labcorp worker put gloves on, touched computer and armrest then took blood. Used gauze placed on the arm rest to stop my bleeding. Took my butterfly needle out too soon so the tube was still filled with my blood. She carefully handled it and placed the needle part into the sharps container and inserted the vial again to suck all the blood out of the tube then disposed of it the rest of the way. Then touched more stuff, picking needle cap and rubber band from the tourniquet out of the plastic container they put blood filled vials in, labeled my vials, then grabbed new gauze and placed it on my still slightly bleeding arm and taped it.

My concern is possible contamination of the gauze, because she wore one pair of gloves from start to finish, from her touching stuff and having the initial one on the arm rest. As well as her possibly touching the sharps container or maybe some of the tubing was pulled out of the sharps container and then she touched it, basically touching the inside of the sharps container. I'm just freaked out. My county has a very high population of drug addicts so I'm positive someone with HIV and or Hep C was most definitely getting their blood drawn in the same chair I was with the same arm rest and the same sharps container. Any risk? 

Offline lana8900

Re: Blood Draw Anxiety. Please just tell me I'm being ridiculous.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 07:08:27 pm »
The reason I'm looking for advice and opinions is because I do have contamination OCD and was taken off my medication because I'm pregnant. So I have no idea if there was an actual risk that warrants testing or if it's just my OCD making me obsess over something that a person without OCD wouldn't even  think twice about.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 09:01:42 pm »
Not the best technique, but I see no risk.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline lana8900

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 10:20:13 pm »
Ugh, I just replay everything in my head. So no risk? I of course worry about small amounts of blood being on surfaces and being transferred to the gauze that was put on my needle stick that was still bleeding.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:23:20 pm by lana8900 »

Offline andrew j

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 07:30:39 pm »

... You poor thing!

... How AWFUL for you!!

Carefully reading your detailed account, it sounds as if it would be very unlikely anything could have got in (as Lucinda says - and she's a nurse) ...

... Any blood would either having been flowing out - or crusting on the surface - [rather than moving inwards] - and the gauze should have had some sort of ameliorating effect?

That's how my mind works, anyway.

I've been through something similar [in a context of bacterial infection].

It's appalling, isn't it?

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 09:36:16 pm »
I too would go with Lucinda's advice on this. But I do agree that practices at hospitals are far from sanitary, and it is disturbing as a patient to witness that. Just last week, I was in our local hospital at the cast clinic to have the plaster cast removed from my broken ankle. It included gauze with my dried blood on it from the surgical incision. It was tossed into an open waste-basket on top of other medical waste. And then a few minutes later, the nurse was pawing through all this medical waste to reclaim some guy's discarded plaster cast for his arm. He needed his cast put back on for a few more days. He also had a visible surgical incision that was healing. So his cut-off plaster cast, lying at the bottom, was retrieved beneath all the other medical waste and taped back onto his arm. I was disgusted.

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline winkawak

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 01:16:42 am »
Can someone explain why she dont need to be worried? If the nurse had blood on her gloves from touching those object and then touched the gauze or her wound while applying wouldnt it cause transmission? I had a similar situation today with blood donation.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 02:42:59 am »
If there was blood with hep c it has to enter the blood stream of an uninfected person. Blood outside the body cannot infect you. The virus must enter your body not just lay on the surface.

Only a very small percentage of people in the US have hep c so you are talking about very small odds of very small odds.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline winkawak

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 03:10:41 am »
needle puncture site is a active bleeding wound, if gauze was contaminated wouldnt it considered blood to blood mixing and allowing of transmission

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 03:21:58 am »
The blood from a needle stick is moving to the outside of your body. The virus has to be forced inside your body to mix with your blood stream. The virus cannot swim inside your body especially against the tide of your blood flowing out.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 03:26:19 am by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline winkawak

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 03:38:55 am »
I find it hard to believe or reasonable that possible contaminated blood touching open bleeding wound(needle puncture site to blood stream) wont cause transmission. Even though wound is pushing some blood out of needle puncture site its still risky having contaminated gauze thats pressing against a bleeding wound.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 03:48:24 am »
Well I don't have any more ways to say you experienced no risk here. I guess if you have to believe you experienced a risk here then get testing if only to prove to yourself you don't have hep c.

I can only say the same thing to you so many times.

Hep c cannot enter the body in this way there is no evidence this is a means of transmission. 

Believe whatever you wish but in my opinion this was not a risk.

Discuss your concerns with your doctor.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline lana8900

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 02:52:04 pm »
Just popped back in to say, winkawak, that I'm no longer concerned about my 'exposure' because I trust the medical professionals that post as well as the people who have Hep C that reply to my concerns.

I have OCD so my fears are almost always irrational. I always need reassurance but I feel better after a few days especially after posting here and being told what I already know, that you can't contract anything that way.

So just take what the say as the truth. They have way more experience and know what they are talking about.

And I wanted to thank everyone that responded to me and helped me feel better! I honestly forgot that I posted this until I was notified of more replies.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.