Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:14:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 162
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 149
Total: 149

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 4 Week Harvoni Lab Results  (Read 13332 times)

Offline steven_myers

4 Week Harvoni Lab Results
« on: November 20, 2016, 10:57:37 am »
Should I be encouraged by these lab results taken 4 weeks after starting Harvoni? The left column is pre-treatment numbers and the right is 4 weeks after starting.
AST-31
ALT-20

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:07:16 am by steven_myers »

Offline Mw2324

Re: 4 Week Harvoni Lab Results
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 11:13:00 am »
I'm no doctor but yes you should. This is a dramatic drop in numbers and shows your body is responding to treatment. Not everyone is undetected at 4 weeks but don't be discouraged!
30 yr. old female
Infected in 2006
Genotype 2b
Pretreatment:
F0
Alt 28
Ast 30
Viral load 49,000
Started Epclusa on 9/9/16 -12 week treatment
4 week viral load undetected... ALT 19 AST 19
12 week eot viral load undetected...ALT16 AST 11

Offline steven_myers

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 11:17:21 am »
I'm no doctor but yes you should. This is a dramatic drop in numbers and shows your body is responding to treatment. Not everyone is undetected at 4 weeks but don't be discouraged!

Thanks for the encouragement. I've just heard so many people being undetected at 4 weeks so I was a little disappointed. I have an appointment on December 2nd to discuss results with my doctor.

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 11:42:47 am »
Steven, that's great progress..    But as has been said, not only does not everybody achieve undetected at 4 wks; not everybody achieves it by EOT even, and still they go on to  achieve it at 12 wks post treatment; thats why 12 wks post is the only test that matters.    A lot of folks would be better off just waiting for that since detected results prior to that would knock anybody off their stride, yet in most cases, its totally meaningless.  I was even detected at 8 wks post!   Just focus on the 12 wks post marker!   

Check out my signature to see my rocky road toward SVR :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:46:46 am by dragonslayer »
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline Mw2324

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 12:50:04 pm »
Steven,
    I am on my 11th week of epclusa and spent much time reading the forums. There are many people who are not undetected at 4 weeks. The 4 week test is done to determine adherence to the medication, not to encourage or discourage. That's why it is relatively meaningless. If you have a higher beginning viral load, it may take a little extra time. Of course,  undetected is great to see but your progress is awesome. Congratulations to you.
30 yr. old female
Infected in 2006
Genotype 2b
Pretreatment:
F0
Alt 28
Ast 30
Viral load 49,000
Started Epclusa on 9/9/16 -12 week treatment
4 week viral load undetected... ALT 19 AST 19
12 week eot viral load undetected...ALT16 AST 11

Offline elias

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 05:43:33 pm »
I've been seeing a number of people on Forum having low levels at week four.

I read here that a drop of two logs is considered to mean its working. and youve dropped 5 logs!!!

If it were me, I'd ask for a 6 week test for reassurance. It's suggested option here:

http://www.hepatitisc.uw.edu/go/treatment-infection/monitoring/core-concept/all

The role of week 4 HCV RNA testing with the use of DAA-based therapy is not completely clear at this time and recommendations will likely evolve as more data become available. The phase 3 trials of direct-acting antivirals demonstrated that nearly all non-cirrhotic patients achieved a week 4 viral level of undetectable or less than the LLOQ; cirrhotic patients may be more likely to have detectable HCV RNA at week 4. For patients who have low-level detectable HCV RNA at treatment week 4, the AASLD/IDSA guidance recommends performing a repeat quantitative HCV RNA level 2 weeks later (at treatment week 6) and if the HCV RNA has increased by more than 10-fold (1 log10 IU/mL) then HCV therapy should be stopped. Nevertheless, the significance of on-treatment persistent low-level viremia (that does not increase) is not known and there is no clear indication this represents lack of adherence or likelihood of virologic relapse

From what I've seen on this forum so far is that this happens if patient has high viral load  to begin with. As you did at baseline. Or has compensated cirrhosis.

I'm anxious myself about this, since I'll be taking the 4-week test soon. But I'm told here that it has little significance beyond assessing compliance
Contracted HCV ~age 12
Diagnosed: September 2016 GT2b
F3 by Fibrosure: 0.66
Necroinflammat activity: A3 0.76
================
VL Sep. 12, 2016: 1.44 million/ Log: 6.157
AST:71/ ALT:114   Sept. 1, 2016 Before treatment
==================
4 week after beginning  Epclusa:
Viral Load: UNDETECTED
AST 17/ALT 11
===============
Began Epclusa:  October 22, 2016
End of Treatment [EOT]: January 13. 2017
====================
EOT+4 Weeks: UNDETECTED
====================
SVR 12 April14-HCV Not Detected

Offline steven_myers

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 05:52:21 pm »
Thanks Elias. Based on what my doctor says on December 2nd, I will probably ask for 8 week labs.

Its also possible that the other prescription medicine I take for seizures(keppra) might be affecting my liver. But I'm going to continue on with the mindset that I'm cured.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 07:52:02 pm »
 I really wouldn't bother with any additional on treatment testing as Paul said he was still detected many weeks posttreatment if you're still positive on treatment all that would do is tend to discourage you really all on treatment testing is meaningless  The one and only test that matters is the 12 week posttreatment test
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 07:57:40 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline steven_myers

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 06:42:09 am »
My week 6 lab work came back undetected :) I will be tested again at the end of treatment, then again 3 months post.

Offline andrew j

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 03:38:59 pm »
Excellent news, Steven!

Now you've got this thing by the throat!

Hoping that the rest of treatment is smooth and uneventful for you.

Best wishes,
A.

P.S. How many weeks of Tx have you been prescribed?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:33:16 pm by andrew j »

Offline steven_myers

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 04:57:34 pm »
Excellent news, Steven!

Now you've got this thing by the throat!

Hoping that the rest of treatment is smooth and uneventful for you.

Best wishes,
A.

P.S. How many weeks of Tx have you been prescribed?

Thanks Andrew! I was prescribed 12 weeks of treatment. My doctor said it was necessary with my viral load.

Also, what connection, if any, does our diet play with Harvoni?

Offline andrew j

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 06:29:51 pm »
There are people here that know a lot more than I do about dietary matters (e.g. Luna, Kim, and Lucinda).

I have been running a pretty eccentric diet for a long time, mainly because I was symptomatic when I had Hep C, and just couldn't have coped otherwise.
My diet was gluten-free - and majored on E.V. olive oil, which I just about lived on.

Some people here in New Zealand advocated something similar to the Paleo diet for Hep C.
The theory was - is, that animal fat ( and esp. ruminant fat = lamb, beef, goat etc.), and organ meats, fish etc. - are protective of the liver.

Some here would disagree with that, I think.
Many here advocate vegetarian, or semi-veg.

I don't eat much meat.
... Mostly oily fish (tinned salmon and sardines (which are cheap)), veges, and oil.
Salads are good, too.
... Beetroot ... Avocados ...

Now that you are recovering?
I don't know.
Healthy is best, I reckon.
The general principle is: a 'heart-healthy' diet will also be good for the liver.

There are some good resources here (and elsewhere).
Look on the homepage - or Google it.

Above all - be kind to yourself, and gentle with that liver!
No alcohol (needless to say)!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:34:12 pm by andrew j »

Offline elias

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 06:35:26 pm »
Some people here in New Zealand advocated something similar to a Paleo diet for Hep C.
The theory was - is, that animal fat ( and esp. ruminant fat = lamb, beef, goat etc.), and organ meats, fish etc. - are protective of the liver.

Hi Andrew:

Would you know what that theory is based upon?

I'm not sure a "heart healthy" diet would recommend increasing animal fat. Though fish is generally considered a preferable source of fat and protein
Contracted HCV ~age 12
Diagnosed: September 2016 GT2b
F3 by Fibrosure: 0.66
Necroinflammat activity: A3 0.76
================
VL Sep. 12, 2016: 1.44 million/ Log: 6.157
AST:71/ ALT:114   Sept. 1, 2016 Before treatment
==================
4 week after beginning  Epclusa:
Viral Load: UNDETECTED
AST 17/ALT 11
===============
Began Epclusa:  October 22, 2016
End of Treatment [EOT]: January 13. 2017
====================
EOT+4 Weeks: UNDETECTED
====================
SVR 12 April14-HCV Not Detected

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 07:10:16 pm »
Thanks Andrew! I was prescribed 12 weeks of treatment. My doctor said it was necessary with my viral load.

Also, what connection, if any, does our diet play with Harvoni?

Hi Steven and welcome

As far your question about diet and Harvoni are you asking if there are any food restrictions while taking Harvoni or are you asking about best diet to help your liver heal?

As far as diet and Harvoni I am not aware of any dietary restrictions as far as any foods contraindicated while taking Harvoni. As far as liver health as others have said a healthy diet and lifestyle is beneficial to your overall good health as well to your liver.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline andrew j

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 09:08:07 pm »
Thanks Lynn (yet again!) ...

Elias,

All I really wanted say is that there are different points of view - different perspectives, on what constitutes a healthy diet - and to try to differentiate between what might be appropriate during active Hep C infection - and later, during Tx and early recovery.
i.e. The point about the high fat diet (ONLY CERTAIN TYPES OF FAT - and which MIGHT be appropriate DURING ACTIVE HEP C INFECTION), is DIFFERENT to the point about a 'heart-healthy' diet.

A high fat diet to protect the liver: What?!
I know - it's counter-intuitive, isn't it?!

If you are interested: the theory is put forward most notably by George Henderson (who is a friend of mine, actually).
George's blogspot is 'Hopeful Geranium'.
Amazingly, there is good science to support it!

Be that as it may, I could never cope with much meat / fat when I had Hep C, as I said above.
I lived on low protein, but - and perhaps in reln. to the above - a LOT of olive oil.
In fact, that's pretty much what I lived on for years.
... And look at my liver?!
(You can't! - I haven't had a fibroscan since 2013!).

My diet is changing now - but I am [still] v. health-conscious - incl. diet and exercise.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 03:09:42 pm by andrew j »

Offline hguy

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 09:54:59 pm »
Congrats on the numbers. I just got my 4 week labs and my viral load has gone from 1.4 million to 36. I have genome type 1 a. I am on Harvoni. This is my second attempt at treatment. Just to add something to the discussion on diet and Harvoni, the only thing my Dr. told me was to try and avoid dairy and calcium at least 4 hours before or after taking meds as Harvoni is a little more effective in a more acidic stomach.

Offline steven_myers

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 09:14:03 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys. The only reason I ask is because I often fall victim to my sweet tooth. I try to balance things out with an overall healthy diet and exercise. On average I walk at least 6 miles every shift at work and try to stick with gluten free deserts. I should also add that I'm not overweight and have minimal body fat (6'4", 175lbs).

With all that being said, is it ok to allow myself some treats from time to time while on treatment?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:22:13 am by steven_myers »

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 02:18:32 am »
No food is contraindicated on Harvoni. You may not want to take Harvoni close to drinking milk.

As far a diet nothing special is needed regarding being on treatment. The only thing you need to consider is your health needs and goals.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline andrew j

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 05:15:27 pm »
You seem to be a bit concerned about your sugar intake, Steven?

[Without getting into current thinking about low carb diets] - most health profs these days advocate reducing sugar intake - and many people should be drastically reducing their intake.

[However] As Lynn says - there is no special warning attached to sugar consumption while taking Harvoni.

I don't really have a problem with sugar, because I've trained myself to minimise consumption - but I do have a problem with salt ... a big problem, I sometimes wonder?
Most people I've asked about it seem unconcerned, but I think I should take the advise I was going to give you, and talk to my Dr some more about it.

It's hard to get the balance right, isn't it?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:24:56 pm by andrew j »

Offline hguy

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 06:03:24 pm »

Offline hguy

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 06:09:13 pm »
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/5/1140                     http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/hepatitis-c-and-diabetes#4             Hi all Im pretty new here so I hope its ok to hyperlink. As a type 2 diabetic and chronic hep c patient     I was very curios about the link between the two. I am convinced my diabetes was brought on by the damage to my liver. I found the above articles quite interesting and thoughr I would share them.   

Offline andrew j

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 08:37:55 pm »
Thanks for posting, Hguy.

I was wondering about including something about the reln. between Hep C and insulin resistance, but I don't really know enough about it.

Hoping you are managing the diabetes OK?

It's fine to include links.
Lots of people do it, and it's invariably helpful.

Best wishes,
A.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.