Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:34:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 110
Total: 110

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I just tested positive for Hepatitis C.  (Read 10395 times)

Offline Frankie1806

I just tested positive for Hepatitis C.
« on: November 27, 2016, 06:46:13 pm »
Got the bad news on Monday, positive for Hepatitis C.Bummer!! I'm not quite sure how I contracted it, but that's moot anyway, I've got it.Don't know my viral load yet and I'm REALLY stressing.I've got no insurance,no job at this time.I know I'm getting ahead of myself.I need to find out if my condition is chronic or not,what genotype blah blah blah.If it comes to it,has anyone purchased meds online?We're they real,was it a scam?Is there a good website for the meds,and how much should I expect to pay assuming it is legal to purchase Hep C meds online.I'm freaking out and would like some insight into the logistics of how all this works.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: I just tested positive for Hepatitis C.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 08:59:16 pm »
Was this just the antibody test? Have you had the HCV RNA by PCR test results to determine if you are currently infected with the hep c virus?

About 25% of people who were exposed to hep c at some time in the past are able to beat hep c on their own without treatment. Those people will test positive for the antibodies to the virus but will not have a detectable viral load, are not infected with hep c and will need no treatment.

If you have been infected to more than 6 months that is the definition of chronically infected and you will need treatment to get rid of the virus.

Others here know about resources to get meds from overseas but I don't believe it is on the internet exactly. There is a web site with information about who to contact.

Good luck and hoping your viral load is not detected

But first you need to wait for the HCV RNA test results you may be worried about nothing if you do not test positive for the virus.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:01:49 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Frankie1806

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 09:26:50 pm »
I am aware that around 20% of the people exposed can beat it without treatment.And yes it was just the test for the antibodies.I believe you're right,I am being a bit premature in regards to how worried I was.It was that initial"you're positive"that had me messed up for a few days.I'm cool now.Thanks for taking the time to send some positive reinforcement.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 10:30:58 pm »
Best of luck to you on the HCV RNA test wishing you good news :)
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 05:27:12 pm »
Frankie1806
You are certainly not alone and scared by an initial positive test for hcv antibodies. Again I do not know why the majority of health care professionals do not calm their clients down when receiving the information. INSIST UPON A CONFIRMATION retest instead of going straight to an HCV PCR RNA quantitative test.

In Canada we do not waste tax payer dollars on PCR testing until we first retest to make sure that the first test was not a false positive. It seems that in the US they are more interested in wallet testing first instead of taking a more conservative and sensible approach to what people can afford! This seems to be almost deliberate in some circles. If you are paying for testing it is very cheap to just insist upon the retest and there are most likely places in major centers where you can just walk in and get tested for HCV antibodies again instead of being fleeced by a system which seems hell bent on invading people wallets!
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

Offline Frankie1806

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 06:42:49 pm »
I couldn't agree more.It seems that a person should be given a definitive test,"DO I HAVE IT OR NOT"!!Do a thorough panel of tests before confusing people and f***ing with their emotions.As for American healthcare,insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies,one word comes to mind,contempt.That sums up how I feel about the aforementioned institutions.Anyways,thank you very much for the positive energy and well wishes.Good luck to you also Mugwump.

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 08:16:40 pm »
I couldn't agree more.It seems that a person should be given a definitive test,"DO I HAVE IT OR NOT"!!
If you were given the test because you have elevated liver enzymes then confirming your status is a must.  And sooner than later. If however you were just randomly tested because of past history then an antibody retest is the route to take. If it again shows positive do not fall into despair but wait for confirmation of a viral load reading.

THEN do not become alarmed by a high viral load reading if you have the disease.
When I was first diagnosed my serum count was over 12 million! But I felt fine and went back to work for over 10 years until interferon treatment came along.

The next step after having a viral load test is to have a genotype test to ascertain the variant of HCV. This is all critical information that should be done as a process that you completely understand and feel comfortable with.

HCV is usually not a disease that shows symptoms like upper right abdominal pains or marked sickness. So knowing that one can be almost completely symptom free for very many years is really important.

What happens to some people is that they actually start to think that they have symptoms if they test positive for antibodies. I have even had relatives develop imaginary symptoms after testing positive for antibodies. However they do not have the disease! This reaction is a strong psychological reaction to the stress created by the news. Plain and simple the most important step in dealing with this and any infectious disease is confirmation of ones infection status. Not knowing is worse than knowing.

Here is hoping that all turns out well and you just had a simple false positive test. The people here are great and are willing to walk with you through the rest of the process if necessary this site is the best around for learning the real details of having to deal with HCV!

All the best
Eric
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

Offline Frankie1806

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 06:16:40 pm »
I'm hip to the little tricks ones mind can play,feeling symptoms that aren't really there. I feel excellent though,I run 4 miles a day,exercise,I eat very well.I feel like a million dollars,but I'm finding out that I'm not superhuman.I'm 43 and led a very risky lifestyle for 30 of them.Anyways,I was last tested 3 years ago,negative,I was tested 3 weeks ago and it was positive.Next week I'm fixin to go to the doctor for more definitive tests.As you expressed,not knowing can be worse than knowing.I feel like such a chump, I'm worried about something that COULD be nothing,when so many people out there are truly suffering.With that said I'll stop whining until I find out more.I'm glad I found this place and all y'all,it's given me some piece of mind.Thank you Eric.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.