Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:32:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 85
Total: 85

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Unaffordable drug prices, and what's with these congressmen anyway?  (Read 13757 times)

Offline dragonslayer

With congressmen like these, no wonder we have sky high unaffordable  drug prices:

"Cory Booker And A Bunch Of Democrats Prove Trump Right On Big Pharma"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/democrats-rush-to-prove-trump-right-on-big-pharma_us_5877edd4e4b0b3c7a7b05c29?section=politics
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline FutureThinker

• Onward and upward!
Re: Unaffordable drug prices, and what's with these congressmen anyway?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 09:08:54 pm »
Hey dragonslayer! Hope you are doing well this year.

Thanks for this post. I knew the Senate was up till "all hours of the morning" voting in their "vote-a-rama" but I hadn't heard specifics, other than to start repeal of the ACA.  I just looked up this amendment and its 37 pages long, so will take some time to peruse. One of my senators did not vote (possibly due to her pacemaker surgery), and the other voted for it, both Democrats, so I'm going to have to take a longer look at it to see just what it said.

This is what we Americans really need to start doing: actually READ these documents to see what they cover, in order to understand their effect.  Very time-consuming, but important!!  Thanks, FT
Treatment naive
Likely contracted mid-70s
Diagnosed 1a, 2011
F1-2
Harvoni X 12 weeks, completed 5/17/16
Pre-treatment: VL 3 mil, AST 64, ALT 84
4 week labs: VL 30, AST 21, ALT 14
8 week labs: VL UD!!!, AST 22, ALT 16
12 week labs: VL UD, AST 23, ALT 14
2 wk EOT: VL UD
12 wk EOT: VL UD, AST 22, ALT 13 =  SVR 12! Yay! 
Last hep appointment: VL UD, AST 19, ALT 12 = SVR 39! I AM DONE!

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 09:35:18 pm »
Whenever I hear about the Huffington Post going against Dems, I sit up and take notice!
Paul

DX 2008
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 10:45:08 am »
Hi Paul,
When I read the HuffPost piece, I was also disturbed. I looked up the other Dems that voted against it and two were Patty Murry from D.C. and Maria Cantwell from the left Washington, who are very left-leaning Congresswomen. So, I looked into it more, and this may be one of those situations where there is much more than meets the eye. I won't even begin to guess why this happened, but I read this:

This was done as part of the protest to repealing Obamacare. This amendment was an amendment to the "budget blueprint", which is a symbolic vote that "provides guidance" to Congress when they actually get to voting on the real budget and a lot of Democrats shot down absolutely everything just to protest the fact that this budget will be used to kill Obamacare. You might notice that every single amendment to this bill was voted down. This never would have gone to the president, so it never would have became law.
The fact is that Democrats proposed it to get some Republicans on record as opposing lower drug prices, as lower drug prices is a benefit of Obamacare, and then Democrats killed it to keep it from becoming part of the budget blueprint and distracting from Obamacare and Planned Parenthood, and that's just how these things go.

There are also a few well-written editorials on the web about this which help me understand why Booker voted this way.
As for whether there were other influences, who knows. Time and solid investigational journalism will tell. 
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 11:28:34 am »
This is one of the problems we have in trying to ascertain the real meaning of such a vote.. Lack of transparency loaded with purposeful obfuscation in an effort to hide from the public what is really going on presents an all too common problem.

On its face, it looks  like the monied  efforts by Big Pharma/loggyists are influencing key congressmen to vote against any efforts by the government to rein in prices.

"There was a strong correlation between states where the drug industry is concentrated ― such as New Jersey, Washington, Pennsylvania and Delaware ― and Democratic opposition to Wednesday’s vote. A cynic might conclude that industry influence had something to do with the outcome."

Yet there are a host of other reasons which might explain the reasons for such a seemingly perplexing vote.

But in the end, the fact is  that democratic congressmen  voted against a bill which would have had the effect of lowering drug prices for whatever reason.  As for reasons and rationale, Ill just claim that determination is above my pay grade!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:31:16 am by dragonslayer »
Paul

DX 2008
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 01:40:17 pm »
Interesting that even Donald is saying that the drug companies are taking us for a ride. However time will tell, he has a way of getting over hoof and mouth disease when it comes to this sort of thing.

My bet is that he will now respect the decision to keep America safe from Canadian drugs which in reality are being made by the same companies and are exactly the same drugs.

Either that or he will put his foot down and back up what he just said proving that Obamacare was systematically sabotaged by the drug and insurance industry and doomed to cost the American public too much to be practical in the first place.

To my way of thinking Americans will not be able to successfully create an affordable health care system until for one the stupid patent system is fixed. Which means that there needs to be conceptual changes made. 

Again follow the money, I think you will find that the drug companies are very hush hush about their patent missiles when it comes to DAA treatments. To play the game you most likely have to pay sums back to who ever holds the patents on where to attach a molecule to a genetic sequence. Or in this case use a chemical shape mechanism to directly place drugs in specific type of cell. 

All this nonsense started when the use of genetic sequences of diseases in specific ways became something easy to patent.

So in the case of what Mr Sofir did you can bet that the 11 billion spent to obtain the patent was for more than just the chemical blue print for Sofosbuvir. This is why the Chinese have rejected the patent. They are not a stupid people who are incapable of creating their own safe medicines.
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.