Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:28:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 137
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 107
Total: 107

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Remaining Undetected  (Read 8403 times)

Offline steven_myers

Remaining Undetected
« on: February 14, 2017, 07:11:52 am »
I finished up my 12 week Harvoni treatment 6 weeks ago. I showed undetected 6 weeks in and also at the end of treatment. What are the chances of remaining undetected 12 weeks after completing treatment? I'm trying to put my mind at ease. These 12 weeks are dragging...

Offline gnatcatcher

Re: Remaining Undetected
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:42:09 am »
Steven, your chances are around 99%: see Tables 8 - 10 in the prescribing information booklet that came with your pill bottles. And, once you're cured (you've reached SVR12), there's less than 0.17% (5/3004 = 0.001664) that you'd relapse between 12 weeks and 24 weeks after treatment:
https://www.hepmag.com/article/late-viral-relapse-hepatitis-c-treatment-rare
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:12:19 pm by gnatcatcher »
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline sherfire

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 02:40:40 am »
Yeah man, your chances are really high. Greater than 90%. You're gonna be fine. Don't worry. :) Seriously!

Offline steven_myers

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 03:57:14 pm »
Would it be safe to say that having my post treatment labs done at 8 weeks would yield the same results as having them done at 8 weeks?

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 05:32:06 pm »
They are very likely going to be the same, but the 12 week post-treatment lab is where you can breathe that final sigh of relief.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 05:49:08 pm »
Only a 12 week post-treatment viral load of "undetected" is officially referred to as a cure (also known as "sustained viralogic response 12," or SVR12). Your insurance might even refuse to pay for an earlier test (they're not cheap), because Harvoni has been around long enough now that data-driven consensus has been reached about the definition of a cure: undetected viral load at 12 weeks after the end of treatment.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline steven_myers

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 06:03:58 pm »
Thanks for the info. I will hold out for 12 weeks. 6 more to go!

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 06:20:36 pm »
I did not receive an EOT test in May 2015. The reason for this was that there was a world wide shortage of test kits when Harvoni first hit the streets. I can assure you that being weakly detected at 4 weeks of treatment then only finding out after 37 weeks that Harvoni had worked was a rough ride to say the least.

I can look back now and still feel the fear that I started to develop, having already failed treatment in 2004 and being almost undetected at the end of 48 weeks of interferon and ribavirin.

The only way you might not clear is if you have a strain of HCV that is resistant. However it seems the chances are greater than 95% that you do not so if you are amongst the unfortunate 5% that have Harvoni resistant HCV the tests should be done immediately for this aspect if you do not achieve SVR cured in a few more weeks.

If your doctor put you on Harvoni and did resistance testing first then your chances of SVR cured are even better than 95%. It would make sense, from an insurance company stand point at least, to do the resistance testing in advance. Because unless Gilead is refunding them the cash for treatment failures or giving deep discounts on the ensuing re-treatments, which I highly doubt, the costs would not be in anyones best interests.

I know that my mind played the usual tricks on me during the long wait for test results that I endured, if I had not done things other than count the days till the test results came in I am sure it would have been even worse!

Take some time to smell the roses while you wait and most of all do the things you love to do and do a few that you have put on hold as well.

Cheers
Eric 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:27:06 pm by Mugwump »
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.