Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:41:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 100
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 76
Total: 77

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hep B + Hep C.  (Read 14069 times)

Offline Zoberrr

Hep B + Hep C.
« on: April 12, 2016, 04:33:07 pm »
Hello! I contracted hep B and Hep C at the same time, about 10 months ago and now it seems like they both are chronic = / . It seems the Hep B is supressing the Hep C and going to start with Interferon-treatment in two weeks with hopes of getting rid of them both. I wonder if any of you have a similar experience... Sorry if my english is bad as it is not my first language.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Hep B + Hep C.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 05:42:44 am »
I don't think Hep b is curable it can only be suppressed but hepatitis c is now for most people curable but not with interferon.

There are new medicines that have been approved and are available in many countries. Do you know your genotype of hepatitis c your treatment would depend on which genotype you have. It would be something like 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b and so on

The names in the US are Harvoni, Sovaldi, or Viekira Pak they have different names in other countries there are a couple of others also.

Good luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Zoberrr

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 10:15:29 am »
Hello again, i have now been treated with peginterferon and ribavirin for 4 months. I tested negative on hepatitis C now but my hep B is still unchanged. Since my hbv-dna and HBsAg still is very high i will quit treatment with interferon couse its making me feel so bad. My hep C genotype was 3a so it should be gone now i hope... Just a little update.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 02:15:24 pm »
Hi Zoberrr

What country are you in? Here in the U.S. they have pretty much moved away from interferon based treatments with the introduction of several recently approved medicines.

Per the AASLD (American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases) the current recommended trearments are as follows:

Genotype 3 Treatment-Naïve Patients Without Cirrhosis - Recommended
Recommended regimens are listed in groups by level of evidence, then alphabetically.

Daily daclatasvir (60 mg*) plus sofosbuvir (400 mg) for 12 weeks is a Recommended regimen for treatment-naïve patients with HCV genotype 3 infection who do not have cirrhosis.
Rating: Class I, Level A

Daily fixed-dose combination of sofosbuvir (400 mg)/velpatasvir (100 mg) for 12 weeks is a Recommended regimen for treatment-naïve patients with HCV genotype 3 infection who do not have cirrhosis.
Rating: Class I, Level A

Hep c is not easily cured with interferon even though you were not detected while on treatment that does not mean the virus was eradicated. The only way to know you are cured is to wait 3 months after you finished your full course of treatment and then be tested again.

As I recall treatment with interferon should be 6 months did you complete a full treatment or did you stop early? I hope you are correct your hep c is cured. I know interferon ribavirin treatment is tough I was treated 2 times with those medicines both times for 6 months.

Good luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline Zoberrr

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 03:19:13 pm »
Hello Lynn K!

I live in Sweden! We have the new meds here but since i had very low hcv viral load, "HCV RNA, IE/mL, 31 000" and since my Hbv viral load is very high they wanted to try peginterferon since it can work against hep B too.

I havent stopped treatment yet but my doctor told me that if you had a Rapid Virologic Response the standard was 4 months with interferon with my genotype (3a). In two weeks i have done 4 months so we'll see what i will do. Maybe it's best to go for 6 months. But i really feel the medicine messing with my brain so i would like to stop.

Thanks for answering the board! I feel kind of lonely dealing with this stuff, and it's nice to hear from others who have been through the same kind of stuff!

Congratz to you for getting rid of hcv! I can see that you had it for a long long time, it must have been very tough!

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 03:41:58 pm »
Really the only effect I was aware of from having hep c was maybe being a little tired at times but whether that was hep c or not I have no idea.

But with having hep c for 30 years did cause me to progress to cirrhosis. I was diagnosed with cirrhosis almost 9 years ago. The only symptom of cirrhosis I can feel is lower leg edema. I have had developed esophageal varicies but again not something I could feel they were found with upper endoscopy.

Still surprised they used interferon due to the side effect profile instead of the new treatments that are shorter term and have much less in the way of side effects plus just pulls no shots. Maybe the cost of the new meds is a factor.

But here in the U.S. I haven't heard of anyone being prescribed interferon really interferon based treatment is not a recommended treatment for any genotype of hep c here.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:43:43 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline ratabekov

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 05:46:09 pm »
Hello! I contracted hep B and Hep C at the same time, about 10 months ago and now it seems like they both are chronic = / . It seems the Hep B is supressing the Hep C and going to start with Interferon-treatment in two weeks with hopes of getting rid of them both. I wonder if any of you have a similar experience... Sorry if my english is bad as it is not my first language.

Hi i am in the same situation, have hep c + hep b.  Considering hep C treatment but recent studies showed that eradicating hep c virus lead to reactivation of hep B, i guess both viruses are suppressing each other. So i am now not sure what to do, any thoughts from the forum members? or someone who is in the same situation?

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 05:37:15 am »
You really should discuss this with your doctor they are the experts
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline Ginabros

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 02:21:28 pm »
Hi,

Here is another one with the Hep B and C conifection.
I am on Entacavir for HBV , to suppress viral load but have not started HCV treatment. The latest warning that  HCV antivirals can reactivate HBV virus scare me. Even though I still have the Hep B virus, my viral load is understandable and I want to keep it this way and not wake it up with the Hep C meds. My doc says we should try but I am hesitant. Have you been successful with getting rid of at least one virus?

I have been trying to find message boards for people with both:  HBV and HCV, like us but had no luck. Glad I saw the this communication!

Take care!
Gina

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 05:37:34 pm »
The reactivation they are referring to is for those who have not detected hepatitis B in their blood and are not taking treatment you are currently on treatment so this will not apply to you for more clarification please discuss this with your doctor
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline ratabekov

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 01:08:35 pm »
Hi,

Here is another one with the Hep B and C conifection.
I am on Entacavir for HBV , to suppress viral load but have not started HCV treatment. The latest warning that  HCV antivirals can reactivate HBV virus scare me. Even though I still have the Hep B virus, my viral load is understandable and I want to keep it this way and not wake it up with the Hep C meds. My doc says we should try but I am hesitant. Have you been successful with getting rid of at least one virus?

I have been trying to find message boards for people with both:  HBV and HCV, like us but had no luck. Glad I saw the this communication!

Take care!
Gina

Got reed of the hep c after 8 wks of harvoni finished in march.  My heb b in not in replicative form, viral load has not changed yet, stays around 1470. so fingers crossed, will be monitoring it closely. Good luck to others with the same problem

Offline Ginabros

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 01:53:48 pm »
Ratabekov, congratulations!! Very happy you nailed one monster!

Did you experience any side effects while taking harvoni or now, after the treatment is over? What are u taking for Hep B?

Offline ratabekov

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 01:44:25 pm »
Ratabekov, congratulations!! Very happy you nailed one monster!

Did you experience any side effects while taking harvoni or now, after the treatment is over? What are u taking for Hep B?

No side effects before or after treatment, not taking anything for hep b since my viral load is very low. Thanks

Offline Ginabros

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 02:13:21 am »
Thanks! Do you know what was your Hep C viral load when you started Harvoni? My doc wants me to do 12 weeks instead of 8.

Stay well!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.