Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:36:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 133
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 113
Total: 113

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hep B reactivation danger with hep C treatment  (Read 6176 times)

Offline Dan12

Hep B reactivation danger with hep C treatment
« on: April 29, 2017, 09:55:47 pm »
I am unable to find any information about Hep C treatment and whether a higher antibody count reduces the likeliness of Hep B reactivation. My Dr. seems to think it makes a difference. My Hep B antibody count is over 500. I have no idea if that is good enough to fight reactivation. Can anyone help with information? I appreciate it!

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Hep B reactivation danger with hep C treatment
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 11:37:27 am »
Hi Dan,
Important to clarify which antibody. Am I correct in assuming you have had hep B and you aren't referring to HB surface antibody (anti-HBS) results that indicate immunity from vaccination? https://www.hepmag.com/basics/hepatitis-b-basics/hepatitis-b-testing

If you are referring to previous infection and positive core antibody results, I've not seen anything correlating the count with the likelihood of reactivation. I have seen some recent studies indicating that resolved past infection might not be an issue. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jgh.13771/abstract

The European liver experts (EASL) just released their guidelines https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiv6-nqvszTAhUV8GMKHWTHC6EQFggjMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.easl.eu%2Fmedias%2Fcpg%2Fissue8%2FEnglish-Report.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEzAs5anu01qLZr9aHguWWPXUHruA&sig2=TO8S2v5pm0OB2FGnOY6PPQ
HCV co-infected patients
In HBV-infected patients, HCV co-infection accelerates liver disease
progression and increases the risk of HCC [187–189]. HBV
and HCV replicate in the same hepatocyte without interference
[190]. A proportion of these patients may have fluctuating serum
HBV DNA levels, thus indicating the need for longitudinal evaluation
of viral loads before starting any antiviral therapy in order
to clarify the respective pathogenic role of each virus [185]. Nevertheless,
HBV DNA level is often low or undetectable and HCV is
responsible for the activity of chronic hepatitis in most patients,
although this is variable probably due to indirect mechanisms
mediated by innate and/or adaptive host immune responses

Here's the FDA's latest: https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USFDA/bulletins/18741e2

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:43:07 pm by lporterrn »
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Dan12

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 12:54:14 pm »
Hi Lucinda,
Thanks so much for the information. I'm so glad you responded.
Yes, I had Hep B in 1978 and recovered with antibodies to it. I tested positive for Hep C in 2001 and have been taking Zepatier for 12 days now. According to my recent blood results taken in February, my Hep B core Ab is reactive (positive?), and my Hep B surface Ab is 573.3 mIU/mL. Does this protect me from reactivation?
I have never injected drugs and do not drink much alcohol. I believe I must have gotten it when I had a piercing sometime in the mid nineties, or while in hospital for a gall bladder removal in 1998. I waited too long to get treatment and now have compensated cirrhosis stage F4, Necroinflammation Act Grade A3, ALT 77, AST 82, and my MELD score is 9.
 Luckily, no real symptoms other than some fatigue, so it was a shock to know how severely my liver has been damaged. But, the treatment may be successful!
Thanks again for being so helpful. 
Dan

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 03:48:34 pm »
I don't know enough about HBV lab data to say if that will protect you. Is your doc testing for HBV DNA?

I am curious - why do you think you may have contracted hep C in the 1990's rather than back in 1978 when you got the hep B? (Please don't answer if I am overstepping my bounds by asking.)
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Dan12

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 04:08:36 pm »
No, not at all!
I was tested for Hep C in 1995 and the result was negative. I tried to find records from my gall bladder surgery but wasn't able to. The hospital said those records were destroyed, so I don't know if they tested for it at the time, but I imagine that they would have. And if they had, I have to believe they would have mentioned it. The next stop after that was a doctor's visit in 2001, and that's when they told me I had it. I was given the option to do pegalated interferon, etc., but the side effects sounded so horrifying that I passed. Now that I am able to be treated, it has become much worse, but not too late yet. It scares me to read so many stories of what others have gone through.
My Dr. has not tested for HBV DNA to my knowledge.
The links were very helpful. I'm learning a lot about this and am very thankful for your pointing me in the right direction for getting answers!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:45:41 pm by Dan12 »

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.