Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

New Cancer Drug Works Regardless of Tumor Location

(1/1)

Hep Forum Moderators:
A new type of targeted cancer therapy shrinks tumors that carry a specific genetic mutation regardless of where they may be located in the body, researchers reported at the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) annual meeting this week in Chicago.

Studies showed that 76 percent of people with 17 types of cancers responded to treatment with larotrectinib, an agent that acts against tumors with tropomyosin receptor kinase (TRK) fusions. Larotrectnib is the first cancer drug to be developed simultaneously for adult and pediatric populations, and treatment was effective in both groups.

“This really brings us into a new era where treatment is truly based on mutation, not location,” Sumanta Kumar Pal, MD, from City of Hope cancer center said at an ASCO press briefing.

Read more...
https://www.realhealthmag.com/article/cancer-drug-larotrectinib-clinical-trials

Mila:
I have read some information on a study on this and I think its very exciting. A dear friend of mine has had a slow growing form of brain cancer since probably her childhood, but was diagnosed in 2005.

She has been through many studies since her initial tumor removal and is now looking into this targeted therapy. Here's to hope!!

Thanks for posting this.
~Mila

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version