Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:15:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 157
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 122
Total: 123

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: blood test showed Positive for Hepatitis C,  (Read 12760 times)

Offline _c2016

blood test showed Positive for Hepatitis C,
« on: June 15, 2017, 09:13:39 pm »
So My lab Work Came back positive for hepatitis C, My doctor requested extra lab Work: My Results are in my Health Portal But I'm confused,

The Test were for : Hepatitis C RNA, Viral Load, PCR, Serum

The Results are as follow: 

HCV RNA IU/mL <15 IU/mL

HCV RNA Qn PCR <1.18 log IU/mL   

What do they mean?

I won't see my doctor until 2 weeks from now and I'm curious.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:43:46 pm by _c2016 »

Offline gnatcatcher

Re: blood test showed Positive for Hepatitis C,
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 09:30:09 pm »
The <15 means that at that particular laboratory, the Hepatitis C RNA PCR viral load test can't quantify the amount of Hep C in the blood sample if there is less than 15 IU/mL in your blood sample. The <1.18 is the same as <15 expressed as a logarithm. Those numbers tell you the sensitivity of the test: below 15, it can detect Hep C if it is present, but it can't count exactly how much at such a low level.

Are there any other numbers in the portal besides the <15 and the <1.18? If not, are there any words like DETECTED or NOT DETECTED or UNDETECTED? If there is a number 15 or higher, then Hep C has been detected and the number is your viral load. If not, but the word "detected" is there, then you have a small amount of Hep C. If there are no other numbers but some term such as "undetected" or "not detected" is there, then you don't currently have Hep C.

The reason for this second  (Hepatitis C RNA PCR viral load) test is that the first test you took only says whether you were exposed to Hep C, such that your immune system made antibodies to the Hep C. People who ever had Hep C, even if their immune systems were able to get rid of it without medicine, typically have positive results to the antibody test for the rest of their lives. That's why the second test is necessary: to see if there is current Hep C infection.

Hope this helps.

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 09:32:33 pm »
Did the test include the words nondetectable or undetectable?
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline _c2016

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 09:42:49 pm »
In My health portal it only showed

HCV RNA IU/mL <15 IU/mL

HCV RNA Qn PCR <1.18 log IU/mL   

There were no Words As "Detected or "No detected

The First Test Was For "Hepatitis C Virus Ab, Serum" and The result came back "Abnormal" (reactive)

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 09:50:08 pm »
Strange. I'm thinking the version of the second test posted to your portal isn't complete, but maybe Lucinda will have a different idea. How long ago did you take the second test? Usually, regular labs have to send that one out to a specialty lab, so perhaps all that has come back so far is the test sensitivity, and the actual viral load or lack of a viral load is still pending.

That first test was indeed the antibody test I was talking about: reactive (as you know) means positive.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline _c2016

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 09:56:57 pm »
The First Test was Done On June 8 the Second One was done on June 13. I'm currently pregnant too and that's why i'm really Concerned.

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 10:17:31 pm »
That's a very understandable concern. I'm not sure how much this will help, but we have had a lot of mothers on these forums who had Hep C while pregnant, yet their babies didn't catch the Hep C. Also, Hep C takes a very long time to do damage, and the liver is a very resilient organ.

June 13 is only the day before yesterday. My lab has to send the second test out to Quest Diagnostics, and it can take up to five business days to get actual results back.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline _c2016

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 10:22:57 pm »
Thank you for your help, I'm just going have to wait for my Appointment to see the real results :)

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 09:07:09 pm »
If I were to guess, I would say you are likely negative, because the fact that you have hep C antibody, your HCV RNA would be substantial. The word, "non-detectable" would help us put this to rest, but the absence of the word "detectable" suggests that you are negative. I am guessing you were exposed to hep C and you cleared it on your own.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.