Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:25:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 125
Total: 125

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: blood in mouth. high risk? :(  (Read 9533 times)

Offline stegasuarus99

blood in mouth. high risk? :(
« on: December 11, 2016, 01:09:50 pm »
Hi all, hope you are well.

I am feeling very anxious about a situation that happened. Firstly I am concerned if I may have hep c but secondly I am more anxious and worried that I may have infected my girlfriend if I do happen to have the illness.

The reason I think I may have it is because both my parents have the illness from previous drug use. My mother has since had treatment and is free from the virus now :) But for a long period of time (10 years ago) when I lived with my parents we would share personal items and toothbrushes (this was often like every day because there was only 2 toothbrushes between us all)

I have always had it in the back of my mind that I may have the virus but I have chosen to ignore it :(

My second and big worry is I may have infected my girlfriend. During oral sex, her tooth cut my penis and it was only after she was finished that we noticed blood there and in her spit too. Blood definitely got into her mouth and would have been in there as she was performing oral sex.

If anybody could answer my questions I would really appreciate it, thanks :)

1. how much of a risk am I at of having the virus? I am going to get tested very soon.

2. If I do have the virus, how much of a risk is there that I have passed it on to my girlfriend?

My big worry right now is that I may have passed it on to her :(

Thank you for any advice.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: blood in mouth. high risk? :(
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 01:44:41 am »
Transmission of hep c in a household is not common however it is recommend against sharing of personal hygiene items like tooth brushes, fingernail clippers, or razors with hep c infected persons. So yes there is some risk to those types of activities and you probably be infected although the odds are not very high. For example even a health care worker who has an accidental needle stick involving a patient with known hep c the odds of transmission is only about 1.8 % so the odds of sharing a tooth brush would be that much less. But under the circumstances you should get tested for peace of mind if nothing else.

Hep c requires blood to blood contact so if you are infected your blood would have to enter your g/f blood stream so it is doubtful she would contract hep c in this way and there is no evidence of transmission in this way.

Get tested for the antibodies to hep c and if that tests positive you will need a test for the hep c virus itself called the HCV RNA by PCR test. Only if that test is positive will you need treatment. If that test is not detected you don't have hep c. If the antibody test is negative you are done and won't need additional testing.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline stegasuarus99

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 01:01:07 pm »
Thank you for good insight and advice :)

Offline stegasuarus99

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 11:17:01 am »
Just to update, I recently had a test and found out today it was negative.

Good luck to everyone one these forums and hope you are well.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.