Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:04:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 57
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 32
Total: 33

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Doctor prescribed Epclusa...scared  (Read 12694 times)

Offline trisha1234

Doctor prescribed Epclusa...scared
« on: May 31, 2017, 02:11:22 pm »
I am 43 and have been diagnosed for aprox 15 years. I am treatment naive, fibroscan 0. GT 3a. I have the typical symptoms, tired all the time, anxiety, depression, sleep problems, excessive sweating (?), feeling of a death sentence constantly hanging over me...and shame...oh the shame!

My doctor has prescribed Epclusa and I'm just waiting for approval at this point. Can anyone say how long (approximately) I will be waiting for approval and then once approved, how long to actually get the treatment. I am in Canada.

I am nervous and scared and just want to get this over with. Also, if anyone can tell me the best time of day to take the medication. I know everyone is different but what are some of your experiences with time to take pill. If I take in the evening, how does that factor into sleep quality? Other than drinking a ton of water (I've got that one loud and clear lol), any other tips?

I should mention, I'm also very excited and feel blessed to be near an end to this ordeal. Thank you :)

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Doctor prescribed Epclusa...scared
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 04:54:46 pm »
I can't help you with the approval time question or specifically about Epclusa since I took Harvoni, but I do have a tip for you to consider. Use this waiting time to build up physical and emotional strength. If you don't have any regular health practices, consider adding in walking and mediating. Plan to have some fun so you won't just be thinking about treatment.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Jorah

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 06:07:47 pm »
Hello Trisha nothing to be scared about..don't worry ...its not like you're doing chemo, many people don't feel nothing at all ..you'll be ok right away its just nervousness and excitement. Fibroscan zero? You should be doing very ok.
Some feel some nausea at the beginning (I took a ginger capsule) ...Some people take the pill in the morning because it gives them energy . Some take it at night because they feel tired so they sleep over it.  You can switch the pill around as long as its within a 2 hour window. But the Docs like for you to take it everyday at the same time. It needs to stabilize. I take it in the morning and I'm ok...
Besides the water, you can try to eat some healthy food and stay away from sugar products and alcohol. No craparola that will stress the liver, I don't touch processed food.
You're waiting approval in what province?

Best of luck

I am 43 and have been diagnosed for aprox 15 years. I am treatment naive, fibroscan 0. GT 3a. I have the typical symptoms, tired all the time, anxiety, depression, sleep problems, excessive sweating (?), feeling of a death sentence constantly hanging over me...and shame...oh the shame!

My doctor has prescribed Epclusa and I'm just waiting for approval at this point. Can anyone say how long (approximately) I will be waiting for approval and then once approved, how long to actually get the treatment. I am in Canada.

I am nervous and scared and just want to get this over with. Also, if anyone can tell me the best time of day to take the medication. I know everyone is different but what are some of your experiences with time to take pill. If I take in the evening, how does that factor into sleep quality? Other than drinking a ton of water (I've got that one loud and clear lol), any other tips?

I should mention, I'm also very excited and feel blessed to be near an end to this ordeal. Thank you :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 06:13:57 pm by Jorah »

Offline trisha1234

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 06:52:49 pm »
Hi Jorah. Thanks for your reply. I am waiting approval in BC. I am just anxious to know roughly how long to get the treatment. (Does it take weeks for the meds to become available or what is typical?) Fibroscan 0. No liver damage, I do have a fatty liver though with elevated ALT AST scores.

Offline Jorah

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 07:30:16 pm »
Once its approved its very fast...a week or two. Did the Doc have an idea how long does it takes for the province to approve? I would think 3-4 weeks all together....You'll meet with treatment nurse, the specialty pharmacy will check what your taking and explain interactions and they'll take blood. Find out who's working for the approval and call them because they may have the tendency to slack.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:32:54 pm by Jorah »

Offline strangerbynight

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 08:23:30 pm »
Hi Jorah. Thanks for your reply. I am waiting approval in BC. I am just anxious to know roughly how long to get the treatment. (Does it take weeks for the meds to become available or what is typical?) Fibroscan 0. No liver damage, I do have a fatty liver though with elevated ALT AST scores.

I dont know about B.C but i am in winnipeg manitoba and i just had fibroscan and i am at F0-1 and not qualify for medicine, thats my province policy, i have to be F2 or above..beside i have this hep c since 1981..i am in a panic like you too..i am going for generic drugs from india..

Offline Jorah

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 08:59:55 pm »
You bring up a good point, but BC has always been ahead of the rest for this kind of stuff , who knows.
Trisha is you're Doc a hepatologist and said you meet the provincial requirements ?
I was browsing and saw yesterday generic epclusa from Bangladesh for $840 US.
What quote did you get from India ..Stranger?

I dont know about B.C but i am in winnipeg manitoba and i just had fibroscan and i am at F0-1 and not qualify for medicine, thats my province policy, i have to be F2 or above..beside i have this hep c since 1981..i am in a panic like you too..i am going for generic drugs from india..

Offline strangerbynight

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 09:17:40 pm »
You bring up a good point, but BC has always been ahead of the rest for this kind of stuff , who knows.
Trisha is you're Doc a hepatologist and said you meet the provincial requirements ?
I was browsing and saw yesterday generic epclusa from Bangladesh for $840 US.
What quote did you get from India ..Stranger?
I havent order it yet, i will see my hep doctor on june 26 and will see whats going to hapen, when i did a fibroscan a week ago i was only told by the nurse that i will not qualify for drugs..i will ask my hep doctor if shes agree to monitor me if i go with generic drugs..i was told on hep without border group on facebook it will cost me under $1000 u.s..this is crazy that i have to wait until my liver gets more damage to qualify..
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:19:33 pm by strangerbynight »

Offline Jorah

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 09:31:54 pm »
Yes I know its crazy with the "waiting for you" to become worst. It could cost them more money for hospital etc..when people become worst.
I'm pretty sure they'll work with you if you get generics, mine in TO said they're open to that.

Offline strangerbynight

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 09:33:35 pm »
Yes I know its crazy with the "waiting for you" to become worst. It could cost them more money for hospital etc..when people become worst.
I'm pretty sure they'll work with you if you get generics, mine in TO said they're open to that.
May i ask are you cured now? Or you are in the same boat with me?

Offline Jorah

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 09:35:54 pm »
I'm on the 6 th week of TX.

I was looking at the Manitoba thing and it says you qualify if you have: elevated ALT levels and/or level of fibrosis.

http://www.catie.ca/en/practical-guides/hepc-in-depth/treatment/treatment-coverage-your-region/manitoba

Offline strangerbynight

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 09:43:39 pm »
I'm on the 6 th week of TX.

I was looking at the Manitoba thing and it says you qualify if you have: elevated ALT levels and/or level of fibrosis.

http://www.catie.ca/en/practical-guides/hepc-in-depth/treatment/treatment-coverage-your-region/manitoba
My ALT and AST is high..i hope they will cover it.

Offline Jorah

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 09:47:03 pm »
Long history of having it, high LFTs, you have lots of fatigue..depression   ;) etc etc looks like they should. More details on the link in regards to ways of getting it and support programs....let us know how it goes...

Update- I was looking at the BC form and Trisha meets the criteria because she also has fatty liver...(I think many of us do)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:00:18 pm by Jorah »

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 12:08:36 am »
A word about the situation in BC. I was extremely fortunate in that I have extended Blue Cross and was covered one week after Ottawa approved Harvoni. I was GT1a and F4 so my situation was different.

HOWEVER the now X BC government has had a policy of ducking and running for cover when it comes to HCV treatment with the new meds. When the media reported on the situation there was no comment from Cristy Clark on the matter or any of her ministers and minions. So it has been very difficult to get treatment if you do not yet have advanced liver disease. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/woman-denied-hep-c-cure-pharmaceutical-company-profits-soar-1.3922785

It has been as if the 70 thousand residents of BC who currently have confirmed chronic HCV infection do not exist in the eyes of those who ran the show. It was very convenient for the government to warehouse us as patients and not have to treat us when there was no viable treatment. Now there is no longer an excuse for not negotiating a deal with the greedy American drug companies the way Australia has done. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-21/eradication-of-hepatitis-c-on-the-horizon-researchers-say/8289542

The reason why the previous government here was not considering universal coverage for HCV is because of their policies of cutting spending to create the appearance of a phony balanced budget at the expense of essential services. While at the same time lining the pockets of their supporters with all sorts of government incentives and pork barrel handouts from the public purse.

With what is occurring with a minority government the whole situation is up in the air. The actual truth about the provincial coffers and especially the portion of it that can be added to the gutted health care sector is going to take time to expose. We have had 15 years of pork barrel style budgets with little increases in essential spending, so it is going to take some time to discover what can be done financially to eradicate HCV early instead of waiting until the victims of the disease progress to advanced liver disease which was the policy of the last government.

To sum things up letters and e-mails to the new members of the legislature might help change things quickly.

I sincerely hope that you can receive epclusa without having to go through stress and hassle, my best advice is to stop considering yourself to blame and feel constant shame about being HCV active and chronic! Taking a positive approach to what can be done and not dwelling upon the disease is the only way to combat the depression, fear and uncertainty that having HCV brings.

I know that if I had not studied music and most importantly did things to take my mind off the disease during the years I was infected my life with HCV would have been unbearable.

Do not let HCV become a disease of the spirit.

In fellowship

Eric
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

Offline entil54

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 09:03:49 am »
I am 62 and had for almost 40 yrs.  Dr. stated that he was going to file for approval process. visited Dr. 2 weeks later for bloodwork. I have a appointment with doctor on Tues. 06/06 Actually received letter for CVS and Epclusa with coupon for discount last week. I certain understand being scared. I am very apprehensive myself. At 42 You have a lifetime ahead of you. Stay strong. Look for love and support from those close to you. Stay strong for those closet to you. Best of luck. I will be praying for you. We have both been blessed to be in our situation.

Offline strangerbynight

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 10:35:01 pm »
So i have seen my doctor 2 days ago and she said i am not qualify for the meds so i told her that i really want to get myself cured and i am going with generics drugs from india, i ask if she is willing to monitor me for this but then she told me that she has never heard about this generics drug in north america and she told me that within a year canada health care system will change and eventually will treated everyone with hep c and she said right now she is going to apply the compassionate support groups from zepatier company and we did filled the form for it and now i have to wait for 2 weeks to find out if i am approve or not, but she also told me that she thinks she can get it for me, so now my questions is what if i am not approved and should i continue to wait? My next follow up appointment is jan 8 2018, i am now F0-1 and my fibroscan is 6.2kp, she told my that my liver is like a normal person without hepatitis..do you guys think the drugs company will give me this drugs? Anyone been through this route? Thanks.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 11:04:19 pm »
Hepatitis c takes years to decades to harm the liver if it ever does. Only about 20 of patients infected with hep c for 20 years will develop liver disease within that time.

That being said some do experience  what is known as extrahepatic symptoms. And most will say they feel fatigued. Plus just the knowledge you were caring a virus. In the US being a young woman of child bearing potential is one reason you could qualify for treatment  rather than putting your life on hold until such time as they let you be cured.

But yes in your present circumstances waiting for even a year or two as far as your health would have likely no impact.

Most of us here were infected for decades waiting for affective treatment. I was infected for 37 years. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis after 30 years of infection.

I hope your doctor gets you approved best of luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline BillT

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 09:02:11 pm »
Hi Entil,
           Don't worry about the age thing.I was 60 when I went through it and and I feel great now.I know it's easier said than done but try and relax.Cheers
Contracted 1973 Military
Diagnosed 1980
Pegintron treatment 2004 unsucessful
Genotype 1b
FibroScan 10 (F2)
Start Viekira 10.17.2015

AST 40 ALT 69
VL 440k
10.31.2015/Week 2 Labs : AST 14/ALT 17
No VL done
10.14.2015/Week 4 labs : AST 14/ALT 14
VL UNDETECTED!!!
12.11.2015/Week 8 Labs : AST 12/ALT 13
No VL done
01.05.2016/EOT labs : AST 15/ALT 13
VL UNDETECTED!!!

12 WEEK SRV:UN-BLOODY DETECTABLE !!!!!!!!

24 WEEK SVR:UNDETECTABLE!!!! Thank You God.

Fibroscan 6Mo. Post Treatment 7.15.2016-5.3(F1)

Offline GovindaR

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 10:17:38 am »
Started Epclusa on June 23rd and just had my first blood test. The results are very encouraging:
ALT (SGPT) went from 62 to 19
AST (SGOT) went from 51 to 20
Hep C Viral load down to <15 from 66,272 !!!

I have eight more weeks of treatment and from all indications, I should (?) be free of the Hep C virus.

Initially, I was a little apprehensive about starting this treatment given all the side effects I read about. However, I must say that I tolerated this medication quite well. For the first few days I had trouble sleeping but I countered this by taking a strong cup ( 2 tea bags ) of Chamomile tea and a Unison at bedtime. This really helped !!

I also experienced a slight headache on a daily basis but nothing to warrant taking any Tylenol or any such medication. I also felt a little more tired than usual and reduction of appetite. Now the headache is no more as I guess my body has adjusted to the medicine.

Overall, my experience has been good so far. I will update this post after my second blood work in late August

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 10:47:31 am »
Excellent progress -- Govinda, you are well on your way to a cure.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.