Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:47:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 119
Total: 119

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: On Viekira and in pain  (Read 6464 times)

Offline Ginabros

On Viekira and in pain
« on: July 25, 2017, 11:25:31 am »
Hello everyone,

I am done with my 3rd out of 12 weeks of Viekira Pak treatment. No Riba! I am geno 1b. Last week I started experiencing some acute pain in my upper arm, starting from the elbow up to the shoulder. It is very painful to move around or lift up my arm. When pressing down, opening doors, trying to wash, especially my back in the shower, dressing is causing excruciating pain. I was open to side effects but this one is unexpected. Does it sound like any of the Viekira sides? I have never had this problem before and hopefully didn't do anything that could trigger it. Yesterday and last night were the worse. Took 2 advils (without doc's permission) before going to bed but don't think it did anything.

Thank you for your thoughts and being here for support!

Gina

Offline NYCHEPCMAN

Re: On Viekira and in pain
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 02:07:27 pm »
I took Viekira last year and also had 1b. Pain may be unrelated to your treatment such as bursitis and tendinitis. My flares up with too much AC.

Wishing you well on your treatment - mine went very well - no side effects and I was not detected at the first blood work by week 4.
GT 1b
VL 1,237,287
Diagnosed November 2015
alt 66 ast 35
F2 fibrosure
2/3/16 Started 12 weeks Viekira
Week 4: Hep C virus by PCR   <1.18 NOT detected, <15 not detected IU/Ml AST 18, ALT  25

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 03:32:20 pm »
Ginabros, sorry to hear about the very frustrating pain you are experiencing. I don't recall anyone on Viekira reporting something similar (although I don't read all the Viekira threads, since I took Harvoni). It's always tricky to know whether A caused B or just happened at the same time. Best to let your doctor help you get relief, so that whether or not it's related to being on Viekira, hopefully your doctor can prescribe something that (1) will work, (2) won't negatively affect your liver, and (3) won't derail your treatment.

Good luck.

Gnatty

P.S. The only times I have had acute pain in one upper arm (in my case, always the left), it's been due to eating too much rich food except for the time that it was due to a blood clot in my lung. No, I don't think that's what you have; I'm just adding to the bursitis and tendinitis other possible causes (I'm sure there are a whole lot more) to urge you to let a doctor do the diagnosing.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Ginabros

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 03:40:55 pm »
Thank you Nychepcman and Gnatty! Yeah, I know .. it doesn't sound like any other side effect I read for VP but the timing made me feel it might be related. Never had bursitis or tendinitis. Will email to the doc, see what he thinks.

Offline Ginabros

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 07:29:37 pm »
Hey Nychepcman, how were you healing /reducing pain for bursitis and tendinitis? Just curious :)
Emailed my doc... let's see what he says.
Gina

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 09:48:48 am »
I had shoulder pain but I had it before treatment, and I've broken my collarbone 4 times, so I put it down to old age and generally being decrepit.

Not much help there, but all the very best for treatment. I cleared with VPak and riba two years ago. Saved my life.
CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

Offline NYCHEPCMAN

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 01:37:15 pm »
I just avoid drafts and switched offices at work - much better!! Hope your treatment is going well.
GT 1b
VL 1,237,287
Diagnosed November 2015
alt 66 ast 35
F2 fibrosure
2/3/16 Started 12 weeks Viekira
Week 4: Hep C virus by PCR   <1.18 NOT detected, <15 not detected IU/Ml AST 18, ALT  25

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.