Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:33:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 81
Total: 81

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Harvoni and Extreme Tiredness and Loss of Vitality/ Slight Depression  (Read 15227 times)

Offline KY

I am on day 35 of a two month treatment for Harvoni. The past couple of weeks or so I sense a loss of vitality, slight depression, extreme weakness-- always wanting to take a nap.
I read somewhere that a person, even three months after treatment, still felt this way. I keep hoping after treatment and the medicine is flushed out of my body, this will pass, and my vitality for life will reappear. I am usually a cheerful person and almost never depressed, so this is a weird experience for me. Most people say the virus is cleared after four weeks (I have yet to have blood work done), so if it is cleared, why do I feel like this?

Offline Mimi

Re: Harvoni and Extreme Tiredness and Loss of Vitality/ Slight Depression
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 07:00:33 pm »
this is so normal! hang in there.... these medications are very strong. i am now 6 weeks after finishing treatment and sooo much better. i too felt very tired, depressed and my anxiety went through the roof. its very hard, i totally understand!
you've done great already so keep going.
just give it time, i think i now am starting to have more energy than before the treatment, my head is a lot more clear... i had good liver function tests before the treatment so didn't think i was that sick to start with but now realize i was.
stay strong, what you are feeling is just part of the journey unfortunately.

Offline NotToday2017

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 09:40:48 pm »
Hi KY,

I am about 3 days behind you on the 8-week Harvoni train. I had my 4 week blood work done and the result for HVC RNA came back "undetected". While I am grateful for the medication doing it's job, I was hoping to feel much better than I do. I've struggled with depression and chronic fatigue since my early twenties. I was hoping that once the virus was eradicated (contracted as a child in late 70s), I would start gaining some energy. I'm still hopeful that I'll feel measurably better post tx, but given that I was asymptomatic in the first place, it's not likely.

Please talk to your doctor about the symptoms you are having. You may also want to consider getting a full spectrum light to help with the blues. Many folks who have seasonal affect disorder use these in winter months when there is less daylight to help boost their mood. Many say it is very effective and better than anti-depressants.

Also, please keep me posted on your progress! Take care.

Offline KY

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 02:44:53 pm »
Thanks, Mimi and NotToday2017, for your encouraging words. I had a full spectrum of lab tests last Thursday (first labs since TX). I should get results in a couple of days.
I have noticed lately I have good days and bad days. But allergy season kicking in makes things a bit rough on top of everything else. I have one week to go before completing TX as long as my labs show UD. I am so looking forward to stopping TX and getting the medicine out of my body. I am expecting a feeling of good health and lots of energy to follow. BTW, I started taking iron supplements. I think that is helping with tiredness.

Offline NotToday2017

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 08:33:53 am »
Hi KY,

You should be done with TX now. Congratulations!!

Tomorrow is my last pill. I must have missed a day somewhere in these past 8 weeks as I should be finished today. That or my math is really bad. Both plausible possibilities. ;-)

At my 4 week check up, my labs indicated that hemoglobin dropped to less than normal range. My doc said at 12-weeks post-TX he will run an iron study. I assume your doctor said iron supplements are ok to take? Maybe after Friday I'll add a supplement but I am very cautious about taking anything new that may diminish Harvoni's task.

Please keep us posted with your progress post-tx! Roll on Debember!!

Offline KY

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 10:25:45 am »
NotToday2017, that's great news. Yes, my last pill was Monday. It may be my imagination, but I have felt a lot better the past days after completing treatment.
It appears to me Harvoni did add to extreme tiredness on top of anemia. I had a full blood count test at same time they checked for Hep C virus. I am low on ferritin. So I started taking MegaFood Blood Builder every day to deal with anemia. It's a great feeling to know Hep C is undetected. Now to get health and strength back to what may be a new normal. I am so thankful. Hope the best for you. Keep us posted. Blessings

Offline Mimi

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 12:53:24 pm »
KY! What great news! Congratulatons,  I'm so happy for you!  It can only get better from here....

Offline xristy

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 12:03:40 am »
I am on the last leg of 12 wk Harvoni treatment. 10 days to go. My last viral load at 6 weeks was 88. I am waiting to hear what I was at 9 weeks, going to call if I don't hear by Monday.

My issues have been strong depression (wanting to sleep the day away), symptoms of another virus I also suffer have been very strong. My mouth has been full of ulcers, my lymph nodes swollen and sore, and my urine has been a strange smell that also seems to make skin burn.

I will be wondering what the long term results of this medicine will be.  I am a sceptic when it comes to big PHARMA. Veterans like me are sometimes a captive audience for studies; just like we were while serving.  But conspiracy thoughts just make it worse right??

I sure feel for others going through more symptoms post treatment.  How frustrating! Especially if you didn't feel bad when you started treatment.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:05:21 am by xristy »

Offline singinasong

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 02:39:48 am »
Hi Xristy.

Hoping the last leg of your treatment goes well and isn't too hard on your other symptoms. You are almost there! :)

Depression is hard. I'm not sure what people here recommend medically, but I always find that a nice shower, a brisk walk, watching birds, or going for coffee can help. If I slow down just enough to take in some of the daily things I usually take for granted, there is pleasure there to be found.

In the meantime, let us know how you are doing.

Singin

Epclusa, Pre Fibroscan 8.9kPa [F2]
Pre Tx: AST/ALT 67/83 4wks 36/34, 8wks 26/28

Offline Stevelthomas

My name is Steve it only took me one month and 10 days to test clear for the virus but I had a 3 months supply I have a unused bottle left that has never been open and about 20 pills left in the other one. I got the bottles from Gelead Call me at PHONE NUMBER REMOVED BY MODERATOR

Steve you are not considered cured until 12 weeks post treatment. If you discontinue treatment early you run the risk of relapse.  If it’s not too late continue your treatment and finish as prescribed. Did you ask you doctor about this decision I bet not and they would have strongly advised against this. Not only do you run the risk of relapse you also are at risk of now having a medication resistant virus making you harder to cure.

There is no treatment regimens shorter than 8 weeks for a reason.

Is a violation of federal law to sell prescription drugs that’s why I removed your phone number.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:20:25 am by iana5252 »

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 02:42:55 pm »
You may not advertise medical services and certainly not sell prescription drugs on this (or any) site. This is a violation of our policies and of federal laws. Readers, these are scams nearly always as well. As we always advise hear, get the advice of and prescriptions from, licensed medical practitioners.
-jack

Offline Stevelthomas

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 03:44:33 pm »
Ok understand.

Offline Stevelthomas

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 03:53:39 pm »
After I took the Harvoni, for some reason my appendix blew  about a few weeks later  I had to have major surgery, I informed the CDC of that and Gilead. So I do not want to take Harvoni again if I can help it. I am not sure if Harvoni was the cause of the appendix blowing up. Since you said 8 weeks is not enough for a cure I will test my virus load again. I had tested it twice so far and I was informed from the Hospital that there was no evidence of Hep. C.  but I now will test again.

Offline Stevelthomas

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 03:55:50 pm »
I am 66 years old, suffering with High blood pressure and was taking Hydralazine 50 to 100mg's a day when the appendix blew.

Offline Stevelthomas

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 03:56:24 pm »
This was a year ago.

Offline Stevelthomas

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 03:56:49 pm »
I am African American.

Offline Stevelthomas

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 03:59:27 pm »
And Jack are you a medical professional with a license?

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 04:21:26 pm »
Me? Absolutely not! Just a volunteer that successfully beat Hep C.

Which is why I do not give out medical advice.

Good luck,
jack

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 07:59:18 pm »
Hi Steve so sorry to read about your health struggles.

I took Solvadi and Olysio for 12 weeks and was not detected at EOT but when retested 12 weeks after my treatment was completed I was found to have relapsed back to pre treatment levels. This was before Harvoni was approved. I had to treat more aggressively the next time after Harvoni was approved. I treated with Harvoni and ribavirin for 24 weeks and that got the job done.

I hope even though you had to discontinue treatment after just 5 weeks you are fortunate enough to still be cured.

Per the prescribing information there is no treatment of such a short duration because there is a risk of relapse. Because of the limits of testing a result of not detected does not mean the same as no virus is present. There may still be virus present but below the tests ability to detect.

I was the moderator who originally edited your post. My apologies if I offended. I assumed you had just decided in your own that since you were not detected you could simply stop taking your meds as prescribed and required per the prescribing information.

Wishing you the best and hoping you were cured.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:03:45 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.