Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:34:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 73
Total: 73

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Best foods to eat with Harvoni  (Read 15295 times)

Offline Everett

Best foods to eat with Harvoni
« on: April 30, 2016, 12:09:06 pm »
I am about an hour from taking my first dose of Harvoni, its been a long road to get to here. :D
So my question in what are the best food to take the pills with.  I researched all the drug interactions and found that Ledipasvir absorbed best in a slightly acidic environment.  If I take it on an empty stomach with a glass of cran-grape would that be good.?

I was infected in 1988, Transmission vector known.
Genotype 1a

Offline Everett

Re: Best foods to eat with Harvoni
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 01:22:51 pm »
Ok I took my first dose of Harvoni on an empty stomach with a little cran apple juice and I'm chasing that with a bottle of water with lemon squeezed into it.

I unfortunately have some other health issues that the GI doc has put me on a liquid/extremely low residue diet.  I take whey protein powder shake with a table spoon of peanut butter mixed in Lactose free milk for two meals a day and then my third meal must consist of low residue foods.  Its a pain but I must do it. 
So far I don't feel any side effects but its only been 20 minutes. 

Its hard to believe this 28 year long nightmare could soon be over. 

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 02:19:59 pm »
Congrats on starting treatment, Everett!! As for what to eat - people here have been eating all kinds of things, or nothing, in conjunction with pill-taking. And everyone got cured the same. A small amount of food such as toast may get stomach acids going (good for the Harvoni absorption). Let your body be your guide. If your stomach feels upset after taking Harvoni on empty stomach with juice only, then think of adding something.

Just be sure you don't take tums or a similar antacid within 4 hours of Harvoni (either side).

Good luck, and welcome to the forums! :)

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline brie41

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 02:24:20 pm »
Hi Everett,

Good luck with your treatment.  My Doctor told me to take it with a meal, and I can only swallow it with tapioca pudding!  I was undetected at 4 weeks so it is working!!  Hang in there.  The time will go by very quickly!  Brie
Diagnosed  HCV, 1A 2006
Viral load 6 million
Ast/Alt always in the 20's
F0-F1, never changed
Treatment naive, started 8 week Harvoni 3/15/16
4 and 8 week labs undetected
6 week eot labs undetected
13 week eot UNDETECTED!

Offline Everett

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 02:38:00 pm »
Thanx for the replies Kim and Brie. Its been about and hour and a half since I took it and so far I feel fine.  I had read some where that heavier people have less side effects, and I'm a 225 pound weight lifter so I guess I have that going for me. I will keep you posted on my progress. 

Peace and Long Life

Offline FutureThinker

• Onward and upward!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 08:27:53 pm »
Welcome Everett to the Harvoni Train! I had read quite a bit on this drug while waiting for my state IMR to overturn the insurance co's denial.  Most people seem to take it with food, so I take mine with breakfast. I have not had any nausea, so this seems to work for me.  The Harvoni product info says studies show it can be taken with or without food, so it doesn't seem to be important for your outcome either way.  Nausea is one of the more possible side effects, so food may help avoid that.

It is recommended you take it at the same time every day, however -- that is probably more important than if it's with or without food.

I remember after I took my first pill, I sat on the couch and was waiting for stars or something to appear!! (lol) My 9.5 week course has been very uneventful thus far, so hopefully yours will be, too!  Think positive thoughts -- FT
Treatment naive
Likely contracted mid-70s
Diagnosed 1a, 2011
F1-2
Harvoni X 12 weeks, completed 5/17/16
Pre-treatment: VL 3 mil, AST 64, ALT 84
4 week labs: VL 30, AST 21, ALT 14
8 week labs: VL UD!!!, AST 22, ALT 16
12 week labs: VL UD, AST 23, ALT 14
2 wk EOT: VL UD
12 wk EOT: VL UD, AST 22, ALT 13 =  SVR 12! Yay! 
Last hep appointment: VL UD, AST 19, ALT 12 = SVR 39! I AM DONE!

Offline FutureThinker

• Onward and upward!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 09:08:48 pm »
Oh, I forgot to emphasize what you have most likely heard and read regarding WATER.  Due to the dehydrating effects of this drug, be sure to drink a lot more than you may have been; I drink ~ 80 oz. day and have had little to no problems with headaches, constipation, etc. The best guide is the color of your urine, per one of our moderators here -- very pale yellow is a good indicator that you're drinking enough. FT
Treatment naive
Likely contracted mid-70s
Diagnosed 1a, 2011
F1-2
Harvoni X 12 weeks, completed 5/17/16
Pre-treatment: VL 3 mil, AST 64, ALT 84
4 week labs: VL 30, AST 21, ALT 14
8 week labs: VL UD!!!, AST 22, ALT 16
12 week labs: VL UD, AST 23, ALT 14
2 wk EOT: VL UD
12 wk EOT: VL UD, AST 22, ALT 13 =  SVR 12! Yay! 
Last hep appointment: VL UD, AST 19, ALT 12 = SVR 39! I AM DONE!

Offline Ricardo Alaniz

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 06:57:45 pm »
I'm taking epculsa and need more info. On what to eat for breakfast that will be best

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 07:52:32 pm »
Hi Ricardo and welcome

There are no food restrictions eat what you like but my suggestion is to avoid foods if they give you heartburn do you won’t be tempted to use acid reducing medicines.

That’s about it.

Of course the best person to ask is your doctor,nurse or pharmacist.

Good luck on treatment
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:55:53 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.