Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:42:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 30
Total: 30

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hep C and Dental work?  (Read 8297 times)

Offline Fischnet

Hep C and Dental work?
« on: December 18, 2017, 08:40:00 am »
I am going to need a root canal or tooth removed.
Is there any issues while I am taking Harvoni?
Thanks in advance for any information.
Tom

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Hep C and Dental work?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 12:44:37 pm »
No issues with Harvoni and dental work

I had an upper endoscopy while on Harvoni 

Good luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline mario555

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 08:25:36 pm »
I was on Harvoni for 24 weeks. Approximately 15 weeks into my treatment, I developed a really bad  toothache under an existing bridge. I had the canal treatment done. A week after, I started hurting at another location close to the bridge! It went away a couple of weeks after but I always wondered if the hep c treatment could have caused the first toothache! Did the tooth problem begin after the start of your treatment? I'm just curious...
60 years old. Likely infected 1975. Geno 1a
F4  8 millions VL,  AST 140  ALT 140
Generally in good health except problems are creeping up rapidly!
2 failed attempts Inf 2000 and Inf-riba 2010
Harvoni 24 weeks
Start 11/13/2014   EOT 4/27/2015
VL2 - UND
VL4 - UND (may 25)
VL12 - UND
VK24 -  UND
Hopefully cured forever!

Offline prston

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 02:16:02 pm »
I am in the same boat as the poster of "Hep C & Dental Work".   

Having developed a severe gum and tooth infection in Week 4 of Harvoni ... it is causing all sorts of complications...especially with driving my white blood count to the moon.

I just posted a post entitled "Do DENTAL Work BEFORE Harvoni & Dental Issues Side Effect" at Hep Forum page:  https://forums.hepmag.com/index.php?topic=5365.0

MY ADVICE TO ALL IS:
  Fix all dental issues before taking Harvoni.  Then pray you don't develop any new dental issues while taking Harvoni. 

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 03:11:01 pm »
See your dentist for help they may have a dental rinse that can help alleviate the infection or order some antibiotics if appropriate.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline prston

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 12:20:00 pm »
Lynn K,  Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this issue. 

In answer to your reply at my 'Dental' post, I asked these questions:

1.  Have you ever heard of anyone taking antibiotics along with Harvoni?  (My dentist prescribed the antibiotic CLINDAMYCIN 150mg, 2 pills per dose, 3 doses per day.)
2.  If so, did you hear whether they suffered any side effects by taking antibiotics with Harvoni?

Sorry for my redundant questions...but I am experiencing a gut ache after taking 8 antibiotic pills.  Now I am little spooked on taking more.

With my deepest appreciation, Preston

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 06:02:58 pm »
Gastrointestinal distress is a common side effect of some antibiotics. Most people don’t routinely  take antibiotics with dental work unless they have a heart valve problem or other similar concern. However, since you have had an infection that would make sense to possibly need to take an antibiotic.

Harvoni and antibiotics have no known contraindication. But as I said antibiotics are know to cause stomach distress for many all on their own.

The antibiotic you are taking Clindamycin has been associated with nausea in some patients.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMHT0009650/?report=details#side_effects

I would strongly recommend you talk to your doctor about wanting to discontinue this medicine early you don’t want to cause your infection to become antibiotic resistant and all the more difficult to treat. You doctor should be able to prescribe a different medicine that you can tolerate better.

Found this about reducing nausea symptoms from antibiotics:

“5 ways to reduce the symptoms

If you feel that your nausea is not going away anytime soon, consider giving these a try:

Take some probiotics

Because antibiotics may harm the "good" bacteria in your stomach, which may be the root cause of your discomfort, when taken in the form of a supplement or dairy products (like yogurt) probiotics are helpful because they serve to "replace" the good bacteria that have died off.

Drink ginger tea

In some instances, ginger-based drinks have shown their effectiveness in soothing the stomach. In fact, ginger also has a reputation in traditional medicine for relieving pain.

Eat small portions frequently

Eating a number of small meals, rather than three main ones, throughout the day may prove helpful.

Sip liquids

Drink liquids slowly rather than in gulps. Gulping may cause you to ingest air in the process, which has a tendency to add to your bloated feeling.

Limit sensory input

Stay away from stimuli that can make nausea worse, such as long car drives or pungent food smells that provoke it further.

If your nausea persists for more than 24 hours and causes vomiting, keep taking fluids to stay hydrated. Above all, see a doctor without delay to determine if your symptoms signify an allergic reaction to the medication, or if there is a more serious underlying condition that merits immediate medical attention.”
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 06:06:39 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.