Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:19:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 106
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 103
Total: 103

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: was getting ready to retire and now this  (Read 7689 times)

Offline richguy1955

was getting ready to retire and now this
« on: August 08, 2017, 05:01:10 pm »
 I am 62 years old .I was 2 weeks from my retirement date and my doctor tells me I tested positive for hep c. Now I have to hold off retirement  to get cured. Feeling all type of emotions . I hate my job. Told my wife to get Tested. She mad . I am now waiting to get approved for treatment. Feeling all alone. Dont Know what to expect. Any Help would be Greatly appreciated

Offline gnatcatcher

Re: was getting ready to retire and now this
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 08:08:49 pm »
richguy1955, have you had only one hep C-related test so far? That would be the antibody test, which only detects whether your body was exposed to hep C at some point. Somewhere around a quarter of people who were exposed were able to get rid of hep C without treatment, yet they still have a positive antibody test.

Or have you already had a second blood test to find out how much virus is still present in your blood? Those ~25% of people who self-cure get a result of UNDETECTED (or some similar term), so there is no longer any virus to treat.

If virus is still present, a different blood test determines which genotype (subtype) of hep C is present, so an effective medicine can be chosen. A painless, special type of ultrasound called a fibroscan or a blood test such as fibrosure is used to find out how much fibrosis the liver has (on a scale of F0=none to F4=cirrhosis).

Most modern treatments consist of swallowing one pill a day for 8 or 12 or 24 weeks, depending on how much hep C was detected (the viral load) and the F score. Most people have few or no side effects, and the cure rate is close to 100%. (In the old days, the medicines had awful side effects and very low cure rates, and people had to have biopsies to learn their F score. Things are so much easier now.)

Your wife may not have it. Many people on this forum, myself included, had hep C for decades before diagnosis, yet our spouses never got it.

Since the treatment itself is generally easy, your difficulties are your wife and having to delay retirement. I hope your coming to this forum helps you feel less alone. Feel free to ask more questions and vent when you need to.

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline richguy1955

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 06:26:40 am »
Yes I've Had both blood test and was told i have Hep C and it is curable. I am now waiting to get approved for 12 weeks of Harvoni Treatment. But when I start Treatment
I would like to be put on short term disability through my job. Because my job is very physically challenging and I am already tired. Any one have problems getting Short term disability?

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 06:47:35 am »
A lot of people on Harvoni (myself included) get extra energy, so you might not need time off.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline KY

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 08:11:56 pm »
You should still be able to work. I am day 21 of Harvoni and am doing ok. I take the pill in the morning and have lots of energy, though I always seem to have a down time in the afternoon. Some days I am trider than others, but I do go to the gym nearly every day. Also, your wife should be ok. I have had HEP C since 1973 and been married since 1977 but my wife never contracted the virus.

Offline mario555

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 09:59:53 pm »
I am also 62 years old with a wife. For the many years we were together and when I did not know I was sick, nothing happened to her. As for me, my energy came back during and after treatment and I now feel 10 years younger! You will start retirement with a new energy level so, be happy! Good luck with the treatment!
60 years old. Likely infected 1975. Geno 1a
F4  8 millions VL,  AST 140  ALT 140
Generally in good health except problems are creeping up rapidly!
2 failed attempts Inf 2000 and Inf-riba 2010
Harvoni 24 weeks
Start 11/13/2014   EOT 4/27/2015
VL2 - UND
VL4 - UND (may 25)
VL12 - UND
VK24 -  UND
Hopefully cured forever!

Offline Jodaha

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 07:57:16 am »
I wouldn’t fret. This won’t affect you at all. I’m working full time at sea and on day 28 of treatment and all is well. Only had one day of not feeling well but they tell me that’s the day the cure does most of its work. Carry on like normal and no one has to know. It hasn’t slowed my down at all.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.