Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:02:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 83
Total: 83

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Getting ready for treatment  (Read 11600 times)

Offline JimA

Getting ready for treatment
« on: December 25, 2017, 12:21:31 pm »
Hi new here and looking for advice and things I need to know. I have Hep c 1A my load is 1.7 my blood tests are pretty much in the normal ranges. Only problem my liver tests show is fatty problems. I got it how knows when, never did IV drugs bit I did enough coke in the 70's to put some kids in Peru through college. My wife was treated 2 years ago for it so far so good with her. They didn't treat me at that time because I wasn't bad enough (whatever lol). So now we are here, Dr. has ordered my meds (Harvoni) will be here next week. At this time my knees are extremely sore as well as my shoulders. Been told Hep can make you feel like this. What am I going to feel like after starting treatment? Oh yeah I am 60 yrs. not overweight much. In pretty good shape no other health problems thankfully. Thank you for reading this and I'll try to answer any questions that come up. And HAPPY CHRISTMAS to everyone.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 12:24:15 pm by JimA »

Offline gnatcatcher

Re: Getting ready for treatment
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 05:33:24 pm »
Welcome, JimA.

Glad your wife is fine. Yes, Hep C can cause all sorts of things, including your sore knees and shoulders; passing the big 6-0 doesn't help matters. A lot of us actually felt better during treatment because Harvoni gave us extra energy. YMMV.

Be sure to stay well hydrated. Harvoni seems to need lots of liquid (all fluids count).

Best wishes, and Happy Christmas to you, too.

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline JimA

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 07:12:25 pm »
Yes we are very happy with Lorrie's result and being hep free. She was having much more problems than I. She is like back to her ol self again. Yeah hitting the BIG 60 does that to a person, although the other option is a huge no go for me. I am actually hoping the way I've been feeling for the last few months has everything to do with HVC. I have been feeling more sore and tired lately, can't wait to start the program next week. I have been reading in here Harvoni might cause some brain fog hoping that isn't true in my case since I drive 400-500 miles a day 5 days a week in a semi truck and trailer :o

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 07:35:44 pm »
Jim, I was one of many Harvoni takers here who experienced what we nicknamed the "Harvoni High" -- not only extra energy, but keener thinking (the opposite of brain fog). A few people got so much of the high that they were too revved up to sleep!

OTOH, some others felt more tired. If you try taking the Harvoni at a time of day that turns out to be wrong for however it makes you feel, it's possible to adjust the time according to your doctor's or pharmacist's directions. So, someone who takes it in the early morning but experiences fatigue can gradually shift to bedtime; someone who takes it at bedtime but gets the Harvoni High can gain maximum benefit by gradually shifting to morning.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline JimA

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 09:54:39 pm »
Thank you that is very helpful

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 11:00:11 pm »
Welcome Jim! And yes to everything Gnatty said about Harvoni. I too was one of the people to get the benefit of the "Harvoni High" so I was happy to take mine first thing in morning. But if I had been experiencing fatigue from it (which some people here have reported) I would have shifted my dosing time to the evening to sleep through it.

Drinking plenty of liquids does seem to make quite a difference on reducing side effects, should you experience any.

Good luck and keep us posted.

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Gator714

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 04:29:05 pm »
Hi Jim:

I'm same age as you and acquired the virus from a surgery about 30 years ago.  I was aware of it for many years; but it never really bothered me, so I pretty much ignored it (though it was always in the back of my mind).  Your mileage may vary, but I finally went through the Harvoni treatment in the first half of 2017 and it was a complete non-event.  I took the pill first thing in the AM on an empty stomach, with a big glass of water, and never experienced any kind of side effect at all.  The treatment completed successfully and all liver functions are normal.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.