Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:18:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 119
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 97
Total: 97

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Blood draw and sharps containter?  (Read 8044 times)

Offline worriedfromblood

Blood draw and sharps containter?
« on: January 08, 2018, 06:56:37 pm »
I was getting a blood test done and I am worried about something the nurse did that may have exposed me to hep c or some other infectious disease. Before drawing my blood, she was getting my paper work in order. The papers touched the inside of the lid of the sharps container (the lid was wedged open since it had a panel at the bottom of the opening the opening where you would insert the sharps). She grabbed the part of the paper that had touched the sharps container with her bare hands and then proceeded to put on her gloves, grab the gauze and palpitate my veins to start the blood draw. When she had put on her gloves she grabbed the fingers of the gloves with the same hand that had handled the paper. I am worried about possible HCV contamination from the paper to her bare hands to the gloves as a result of touching the inner lid of the sharps container. She was touching my skin at the puncture site with her gloves before inserting the needle and also handled the gauze used to cover the wound. While I did not see any blood on the paper, her hands or the gloves, I am not sure if there is any risk. I have read that HCV can remain infectious for weeks on surfaces, even in tiny quantities so I am worried there is a chance of infection.

I was hoping someone in the healthcare field could let me know from their experience, whether I should be concerned.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Blood draw and sharps containter?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 07:08:08 pm »
We here are a community of patients who are or were previously infected with the hep c virus. The majority here are not health care professionals. This is primarily an online support group who come together to share our experiences and offer our experience and encouragement.

That being said Hep c is not easily contracted I am reasonably confident you are not at risk.

If you are concerned wait 12 weeks to be tested for hep c antibodies.

I sincerely doubt you are at any risk from what you have described. Really there is no way to quantify your risk but unless you had hep c infected blood enter your blood stream you are not at risk.

Even when a health care worker experiences an accidental needle stick involving a patient with known hep c the odds of transmission are only about 1.8% so your odds would be significantly less than that as you do not know if hep c infected blood was present as only about 1% of the population has hep c. And it is unlikely any blood entered your bloodstream.

If you want to speak with someone in the health care field you should speak with your doctor.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:14:34 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline worriedfromblood

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 08:36:04 pm »
Thank you for the quick reply. I realize when I explain the situation that the risk is low. What had me worried  even though I didn't actually see any blood contamination was that a sharps container was involved. Thank you for the reassurance. I struggle with anxiety and while this does not quiet it completely it does help a bit. I will try my best to ease my worries on this.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 08:56:54 pm »
Are you being treated for anxiety? I believe there are medicines that may help and also speaking with a counselor. Treating the medical condition that you actually have which is anxiety can greatly improve your quality of life.

Just to add Hepatitis c is very treatable today with cure rates around 98% it is not like it was just a few years ago with long difficult treatment that only worked about 30% of the time.

With the recently developed medicines Hep c does not have to be something to feared any more.

Best of luck to you.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:01:09 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline worriedfromblood

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 09:12:09 pm »
I have been working with a counselor yes. Anxiety can be very frustrating to deal with it is true. That is something I have to remind myself as well, that my anxiety is not actually doing my body any good. Thank you for your kind reply.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.