Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:37:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 89
Total: 89

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: One pill left to take  (Read 5462 times)

Offline Fischnet

One pill left to take
« on: February 20, 2018, 09:37:07 am »
Tomorrow I will take my last pill of Harvoni.
I thought when I started this day would never come.
12 weeks of aches and pains and just not feeling myself.
Viral load has not been checked since before treatment.(insurance will not pay for test during treatment) all other blood work looks great.
Don’t know what to expect when coming off the Harvoni. Time will tell.
Next count down will begin. I hope this is the end of The Hep nightmare.
Tom
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:25:18 pm by Fischnet »

Offline gnatcatcher

Re: One pill left to take
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 08:00:59 pm »
Tom, sorry you had such a rough ride. The odds for a cure are greatly in your favor, and the fact that all other blood work looks great is a good sign.

Interesting that your insurance company won't pay for a VL during tx. In Harvoni's early days on the market, the insurance companies were eager to check it 4 weeks in, perhaps because they wanted to be sure all that money wasn't being wasted on someone either noncompliant or unlikely to succeed. They were thinking of the low cure rates with the old pegint/riba torture regimen and didn't yet comprehend that nearly everyone is cured with the new drugs.

Fingers crossed for you.

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Fischnet

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 08:55:47 pm »
Thanks for the response.
It will be worth it I am sure.
If you ever figure out why insurance companies do what they do you let me know.

How does the body react when you are finished with Harvoni?
Our bodies must have some reaction to not having this drug suddenly.
Any thoughts?
Tom

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:59:54 pm »
People here have had different reactions, both on and after Harvoni. I got the "Harvoni High" (extra energy: a "jazzed" or "wired" feeling), so I missed no longer having so much extra energy after treatment ended. Our bodies do seem to need an adjustment period when the ally that packs such a powerful punch is no longer there. AFAIK, there's no way to predict whether it will take days, weeks, or months to feel yourself again. Two-and-a-half years out, I feel better than before treatment, but not hugely so. (Another forum member, Mugwump, is vastly better.)  But I'm thrilled that my fibrosis score has dropped from 19.5 to 7.6 and my ALT and AST are less than a 10th as high as they had gotten, proof that my liver is much healthier.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 02:08:44 am »
I was taking Harvoni for 24 weeks along with ribavirin. I developed anemia because of the ribavirin so I felt slightly out of breath on minor exertion.

Two weeks after I finished treatment my anemia had resolved and my HGB had nearly returned to pre treatment levels. But other than the effects of the ribavirin I felt ok on treatment and much better every day after 2 weeks I was pretty much back to normal.

Sorry you have had a difficult treatment I hope you rebound quickly
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.