Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:12:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 87
Total: 87

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Keto Diet (low carbs no suger) provide best lab results ever!  (Read 10707 times)

Offline I fightis thetitis

Hey there Heppsters,

In celebration of my 2 year EOT anniversary which was  May 7 (Happy 3rd Lynn!) I decided to try the Keto diet exactly 3 weeks before all my major blood work.
I heard two people with cirrhosis say they thought this diet saved their lives.  .

Well (drum roll) my labs came back and was nothing short of outstanding! For the first time in 40 years everything was in range.  Except my hep C antibodies of which were expected to be high. (40.40 and range is 1. I'm way high on antibodies.)

Bilirubin lowest in two years, Platelets up to 190 from 139!  LDL cholesterol super low and HDL (good) highest ever been. Blood sugar and triglycerides best ever.

Keto is cut out all sugar and processed food. substitute with a lot of healthy fat (which seemed counter to everything I thought) nuts, meats,

https://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/fatty-liver-disease.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

What did I change? I cut out ALL sugar (except 85% dark chocolate, which is my cheat food), All grains which was my weakness. Bread, rice, pasta, quinoa, potatoes all out.
In: All meats, all veggies except taters, Fish, salads, avos, small amounts of butter, and cream cheese, (I know.. I hear ya saying what?) all nuts, cheese's, plain yogurt w/fruit.

Now on my 6th week I have morphed into a Keto-ish diet as I had to have my morning oatmeal. So I guess I'm kinda Mediterranean but I increased fat while reducing liver burdensome processed carbs.

As a super health conscious person I've heard for years fat is bad for the liver bc it's hard to metabolize yadie yada.. Now we know fat is NOT the culprit it's SUGAR! Mainly by way of processed carbs.

I feel incredible, lost 10 pounds unintentionally I might add but welcomed, and tons more energy. I'm eating way less portion size as the fat reduces appetite.

I had to share my journey as this is the first good for your liver related thing that produced a measurable metrics.  Milk Thistle, Tumeric, NAC, Alpha Lipoic acid and every other touted herb and spice I tried while my labs stayed out of range.

Tried Keto and in three weeks everything in range and I have have an incrdible sense of well being for the first time in years.

By no means am I saying Keto is a miracle diet for everyones Liver, But I'm also saying, hmm maybe theres something here that has not been fully investigated..
and why do we not hear more stories like mine?

Any other heppers try Keto?

Best to everyone,

Happy Greg

M59  56@start of TX. date infected:1976
diagnosed 1997 - asymtomatic
Genotype 1a
AST 111 -ALT 124 - AFP -89
Viral Load 1900000 - Log 6.28
Fibro Test F4 ActiTest A3
Harvoni 24 wks - start date 11/24/15

6 Week Labs VL Undetected!
104 weeks EOT Undetected.

8/25/17 Fibrosure score 80 = F4
11/10/17 Fibroscan 7.5 mean 1.6 m/s = F2
8/2018 Ultra sound normal.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Keto Diet (low carbs no suger) provide best lab results ever!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 02:44:40 pm »
Wow great news on the platelets that is fantastic!

Yeah mine went up from about 90 pre treatment to 110 post treatment and staying there so far.

And congrats on your two year anniversary thanks for the well wishes on my third
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 02:56:00 am by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Re: Keto Diet (low carbs no suger) provide best lab results ever!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 10:51:43 pm »
Hi Greg. Good to hear your positive report on the keto diet. I have been reading about that diet. I am naturally keto'ish by preference and personal taste. Have removed all added sugar (except for little bit of dark chocolate, like you). I do have more spuds and grains like oatmeal than would normally be allowed on proper keto diet. But otherwise my diet is like what you describe. I buy everything I can organic, non-GMO, whole foods, unprocessed.

Glad it's working so well for you!

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.