Hepatitis C Main Forums > Considering Hepatitis C Treatment

My Platelets

(1/2) > >>

Lukey:
Is this good? I seem to have platelets being 253.

Lynn K:
Minimum normal platelets are 150. Platelets levels begin to be reduced as a consequence of cirrhosis which in turn will cause portal hypertension because of increasing liver scarring. This in turn causes the spleen to become enlarged and begin to sequester platelets.

I had cirrhosis for 5 years before my platelet counts reduced to below normal. Before I treated they were in the 80 to 90 range. Doctors don’t usually become concerned until platelets fall below 50 and if they get as low as 30 patients may need to have platelet transfusions.

Low platelet counts is the reason we with cirrhosis experience easy brusing and why we are at increased risk of having dangerous bleeding events and need to avoid NSAID pain relievers like Aleve, Motrin, Aspirin and why we are advised to only take Tylenol for pain management as Tylenol does not increase the risk of bleeding for patients with ESLD.

Your test reports your platelet count as “N” meaning normal. A normal platelet count is an indication you likely do not have cirrhosis induced portal hypertension which agrees with your Fibrosis score.

Lynn K:
A normal platelet count ranges from 150,000 to 450,000 platelets per microliter of blood. Having more than 450,000 platelets is a condition called thrombocytosis; having less than 150,000 is known as thrombocytopenia.

Your platelet count is 253,000 per micro liter so just slightly below exactly mid range normal

Lukey:
Thank you Lynn. :)

Type0Negative:
My Platelets are high so as my INR. I read that it can be due to inflammation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version