Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:52:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 86
Total: 86

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Harvoni High and Addiction/Recovery  (Read 9192 times)

Offline Uncle Pizza

Harvoni High and Addiction/Recovery
« on: June 06, 2018, 08:54:22 pm »
I finished treatment about 18 months ago and all is still good.  I was one of the lucky ones who breezed through Harvoni treatment with my only side effect being the "Harvoni High".  I always had a bit of a buzz, lots of energy, and only needed 4-6 hours sleep/night.  Once I was done with treatment that buzz went away, and I began craving it.  I was 5 1/2 years sober and did not want to go back to drinking!  Instead, I ended up using THC/CBD "for pain" and found myself falling into old habits.  I also started taking opiods "for pain", falling into the same old behaviors.  Luckily, I was eventually able to snap out of it.  I've been clean now for almost a year (sober for over seven) but it took me nine months to get over the cravings that the Harvoni High left me with.  I just wanted to share this for any others in recovery who end up with the Harvoni High side effect.  Prepare for when your treatment ends - talk to your sponsor, be honest, work those steps.  Once you get your new lease on life, you don't want to waste it by living those old addictive behaviors again.  Best of luck to you all!
59 YO Male; Genotype 1a
Contracted 1970’s??  tattoos or rec IV??
Diagnosed 1991
2007: Discontinued 48 weeks of PEG Interferon/Ribavirin midway – never achieved 2 log drop.
Began 16 week Harvoni treatment 07/29/16
Pre-treatment: VL 3.8M. AST 34, ALT 49, F2
Week 4: VL < 15 detected, AST 22, ALT 18
Week 8: VL UNDETECTABLE, AST 24, ALT 20
18 Mos post treatment: All labs perfectly excellent!

Offline andrew j

Re: Harvoni High and Addiction/Recovery
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 08:37:24 pm »
Hi Uncle,

I've been in recovery for something like 30 years.
Perseverance furthers, as the I Ching would say!

Glitches and set-backs come up - it's just part of it (as they are part of everything, I guess).
It's easy to trigger old, deeply established patterns.

Honestly - I could write a book about this stuff.
I was even an A&D counsellor for a while!

I haven't got much time today - so for now I'll just wish you well.

Recovery is an amazing journey - insofar as it's distinguishable from your life's journey.
Hang in there - and look after yourself.

Life is a precious gift.
YOU are a precious gift!

A.

(P.S. My computer has died - so I'm only getting to use one at the local library once a week).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 08:43:53 pm by andrew j »

Offline Type0Negative

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 11:50:31 pm »
Oh, please! It can't be that good! I took Mavyrett and among other side effects, the Mavyrett High was one of the most irritating. I hate feeling high. I drink but I don't want or ever crave anything else. While on treatment, it felt like I was getting high at the higher dose than I would want. If I was doing it for fun, I would take less. I felt like the drug was building up in my body and I was not able to clear it in 24 hours. I remember thinking, "What have I got myself in to? My old self is forced to get high daily on some luxurious long acting upper and I can't even enjoy it". Just can't handle any high any more. I crave feeling young and healthy. I like how I feel after good night sleep after having a cup of tea in the morning.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 12:29:29 am »
One persons fun high could be another persons annoying unwanted high.

Some enjoyed the feeling of extra energy and others felt like they drank way too much coffee.

Myself I like uppers and get where Uncle Puzza was coming from. When I got off Harvoni I missed the extra energy.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline andrew j

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 08:17:06 pm »
I think a good night's sleep and a cup of tea (as TypeO suggests) - or their equivalent - are about where it's at for me.

Desire for intoxicants has slowly faded over the years  - but only very slowly.
I don't think I can ever turn my back on that stuff, though (as above).

Again - Recovery works well for me.
It's a spiritual thing.

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 02:17:55 am »
I think we need to put the whole thing in perspective here. It seems what is happening is: The normalization of the human liver functions making one have a sudden heightened sense of physical well being that is very much like taking a super duper happy pill. :o
We must remember that as our liver functions deteriorate slowly over time we forget how sick we really were and then: bingo all of a sudden the liver starts to produce a normal level of toxins from the discharge of dead cells instead of elevated levels of essentially toxic waste in our blood stream. Thus many of us can indeed suddenly feel young again during treatment.
This is the only rational explanation for the DAA high some of us went and are going through.
Taking more Harvoni or any DAA would essentially do nothing for us except perhaps psychologically. It is true that we can take sugar pills and get high if we believe that the pills are doing something, this is just human nature and was and is a great part of the "natural healing" doctoring bag of tricks.
Studies done years ago found that dopamine can be produced in the brain of some  individuals highly prone to addiction if they are given placebos in the place of real drugs.
I was amazed at how well I suddenly felt as my liver functions normalized for the first time in decades. But we must put this all in perspective: knowing that it is foolish to think anything other than extremely effective direct acting anti viral was causing our livers to heal quickly and this and only this is what is at work here.
Taking Harvoni to get the high again is about as sensible as having a "naturapathetic doctor" prescribing powdered rhino horns with bear cub gal bladder and tiger penis with paw meats so the patient can get it up!
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 02:36:59 am »
I dunno Mugwump I did feel energized similar to maybe caffeine a little “up” which stopped when I stopped Harvoni. I think the op is concerned it could cause some to feel the desire to take up old bad habits not to use Harvoni to feed that old hunger.

As for myself I haven’t had any evidence of liver healing just hopefully a stop to any further damage. I still have F4 cirrhosis I still have a low platelet count I still have lower leg edema.

But I don't have hep c woo whooo ;)
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline andrew j

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 06:48:13 pm »
[Once again] - I so hope [and pray] that you can get some improvement, Lynn.

A.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 06:50:43 pm by andrew j »

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 08:28:22 pm »
Thanks Andrew at this point not holding my breath or losing any sleep over it either
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 08:15:23 am »
I dunno Mugwump I did feel energized similar to maybe caffeine a little “up” which stopped when I stopped Harvoni. I think the op is concerned it could cause some to feel the desire to take up old bad habits not to use Harvoni to feed that old hunger.

As for myself I haven’t had any evidence of liver healing just hopefully a stop to any further damage. I still have F4 cirrhosis I still have a low platelet count I still have lower leg edema.

But I don't have hep c woo whooo ;)
Took some time to think a reply through. Essentially yes. ;)
PS:Just got my platelets back up over 150 for the first time in 5 years! So the last happy pill is still working for me and I have not had to take another one since my last bottle on the 24 week program ran out!!!!I truly hope you have a similar result over time Lynn. Now if I can get my glucose fasting results down again, quit smoking and my bad habits of drinking far too much caffeine with cream 'n sugar once and for all I will apply for early sainthood... ::) But I am not going to give up fishing or having tree sauce and butter on my French toast cooked over an open fire with bacon when I go fishing. Or frying the fresh rainbow in the left over bacon fat with lots of smoke from the fire old school camp cooking style!!!! These sins are beyond my control.

Cheers
Eric

Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.