Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:38:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 157
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 112
Total: 112

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Depression While In Treatment  (Read 7398 times)

Offline daniellepearson09

Depression While In Treatment
« on: June 16, 2018, 05:18:12 pm »
So far, I am only day three. Before I began treatment, I would drink to calm my nerves and to try to ease the depression. Of course, that was stupid, because drinking while having Hepatitis C isn't the greatest idea, but it was my only vice left after quitting the use of intravenous drugs three years ago. Since I have started my treatment I haven't drank because I read it makes the Harvoni ineffective. I truly want this treatment to work. However, my husband who also has Hep C is afraid to have sex with me, even with a condom right now, because he doesn't want to reinfect me or get me pregnant. I can't go out in the sun because the med is supposedly going to make me sensitive to the sun, and I want to eat everything I see. I already had anxiety and depression before I started the treatment. Is it possible that is makes it worse?

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Depression While In Treatment
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 02:53:55 am »
That was Olysio that caused sun sensitivity not so much Harvoni. Enjoy the sun maybe use a sunscreen or sun protective clothing if concerned.

Sexual transmission of hep c in long term  monogamous couples is rare there have been many here where one has hep c and the other does not. Although you should avoid pregnancy while taking Harvoni and for a few weeks after as the risk to a growing fetus is unknown.

Could you take birth control? Why is your husband not treating his hep c also?

You really should discuss your concerns about possible pregnancy and sexual transmission with your doctor especially with your husband with you to ease his concerns.

You should also think about talking to your regular doctor for help with your anxiety and depression. You may consider getting counseling to help or maybe some antidepressants to help. I would think not getting outside and not having relations with your spouse could contribute to that as well.

Yes drinking with hep c is a poor idea. Hep c and alcohol work together to cause more liver damage when combined than either would do along. Drinking with hep c has been compared to throwing gasoline on a fire.

But that is awesome you have been able to stop using drugs that is a major achievement congrats!

Anyway best of luck with treatment. Discuss your concerns with your doctors to put your mind at ease. Be careful what you read on the Internet there is a lot of innaccurate information out there
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline daniellepearson09

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 11:40:01 am »
Thank you for your reply. According to my prescribing doctor and pharmicist, Harvoni is known to cause photosensitivity (or a sun allergy) which could leave my extremely pale skinned self with open blisters and scabs all over my body. I have sunscreen on hand, but even that has really not helped a lot in the past. I plan on using a floppy hat, umbrella and loads of sunscreen when going out, but I miss going to the tanning bed and building a gradual tan like I have in the past. Unfortunately, that is a no go, because my doctor explained that I could be left with third degree burns with Harvoni. :/ I plan on seeing a doctor for my depression, but don't know if I should throw meds on top of harvoni, but will talk to the doctor for their opinion.

Also, my husband is planning on getting treatment, but he is in the stage of getting ultrasounds and tests to see which treatment will benefit him most. It's a struggle. We are most worried about pregnancy, despite the fact that I have an extremely low chance of getting pregnant due to other health issues. But, there is always that chance, and it would kill me to end up pregnant with a harmed baby because of my meds. My health is my number one priority right now, because I caught the fact that I had hep soon after I believe I contracted it.

Sorry, if I seem like i'm on a pity party, it's just a big adjustment. And I research side effects and whatnot way tooooo much....probably too much for my own good.

Thank you again for your quick reply and advice :)

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 03:57:58 pm »
Hi no worries that is why we sometimes come here to commiserate

I really could not find anything about Harvoni and sun sensitivity just Olysio

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/harvoni-side-effects.html

But your doctors know best especially if you are very fair skinned and have a tendency to burn those are good precautions.

I also did not see any mention of sunsensitivity in the Harvoni prescribing information sheet which you should receive a copy of with every refill. Sun sensitivity is listed for Olysio.

Here is a link to the prescribing information sheet

https://www.gilead.com/~/media/Files/pdfs/medicines/liver-disease/harvoni/harvoni_pi.pdf

As far as pregnenancy there isn’t any information but I understand it is considered low risk but sure why take a chance.

From the prescribing information sheet for Harvoni

“8 USE IN SPECIFIC POPULATIONS
8.1 Pregnancy
Risk Summary
If HARVONI is administered with ribavirin, the combination regimen is contraindicated in pregnant women and in men whose female partners are pregnant. Refer to the ribavirin prescribing information for more information on ribavirin-associated risks of use during pregnancy.
No adequate human data are available to establish whether or not HARVONI poses a risk to pregnancy outcomes. In animal reproduction studies, no evidence of adverse developmental outcomes was observed with the components of HARVONI (ledipasvir or sofosbuvir) at exposures greater than those in humans at the recommended human dose (RHD) [see Data]. During organogenesis in the rat and rabbit, systemic exposures (AUC) to ledipasvir were approximately 4 (rats) and 2 (rabbits) times the exposure in humans at the RHD, while exposures to the predominant circulating metabolite of sofosbuvir (GS-331007) were ≥3 (rats) and 7 (rabbits) times the exposure in humans at the RHD. In rat pre/postnatal development studies, maternal systemic exposures (AUC) to ledipasvir and GS-331007 were approximately 5 and 7 times, respectively, the exposure in humans at the RHD.
The background risk of major birth defects and miscarriage for the indicated population is unknown. In the U.S. general population, the estimated background risk of major birth defects and miscarriage in clinically recognized pregnancies is 2–4% and 15–20%, respectively.“

As far as researching side effects I would advise against that most people have little in the way of sides although sadly a few did have a difficult treatment that is the minority of what people experience.

Readying too much and worrying too much you can sometimes talk yourself into experience symptoms. Also just because you experience a symptom of some kind it may or may not be attributable to treatment. In other words you were maybe going to have that headach or upset stomach whether or not you were taking a medicine.

Expect good is my suggestion. No matter how much we worry it will not change what actually happens tomorrow.

Worry does nothing but steal your joy and keep you very busy doing nothing.

Best wishes
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline colaa4

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 01:10:43 pm »
harvoni definitely caused or increased depression for me too. rather severely. one of its components is well known to cause depression.

Offline Type0Negative

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 09:44:08 pm »
https://hepatitiscnewdrugs.blogspot.com/2018/07/hcv-antiviral-drugs-during-pregnancy.html  Hep C drugs in pregnancy article.

I was on Mavyret through clinical trial and had to sign agreement that I will have no sex. Time flies- it was over soon and now life is back to normal. Also sex was never a priority. I used to do tenning beds and beach 3 times a week, now I am so busy working daily- I been at the beach once this year, and I live 10 minutes from the ocean. Just have to set priorities. There always will be next summer.

It may sound selfish but I now worrying about being reinfected from my partner who never was diagnosed but have been in relationships with me for many years. Can't ask him to get tested because he does not know....

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 01:10:43 am »
Very doubtful he is infected we had many here with long term partners one who had hep and the other did not. The CDC does not recommend long term monogamous couples use barrier protection. There is an increased risk for those with multiple partners, those who engage in rough sexual practices where there is a risk of blood letting, or in the presence of HIV.

If none of that applies and you have been in a long term relationship it is not likely your partner has hep c from you and if they should have Hepatitis c for some other reason the odds of you contracting hep c from your partner is very low.

That being said I feel you should consider discussing this with your partner. Healthy relationships should have a foundation of honesty and trust. How can we trust one another in sickness and health if we can’t reveal our true selves? If your partner should have hep c and you are keeping this from then you are risking their health as well as the small risk to your own.

Best of luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.