Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:27:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 157
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 122
Total: 122

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just finished...I think  (Read 7058 times)

Offline Inspectorgadget

Just finished...I think
« on: June 27, 2018, 04:09:48 pm »
Diagnosed last November during a routine test panel for something unrelated. High viral load...type 1b. Male, mid 50's, no idea how I got it or how long I've had it.

Minimal scaring, no scirosis. Was put on 8 weeks of mavirett I just finished today. Results undedected at 4 weeks. I will be checked again in 3 months.

Here is my concern. I was with someone for 7 years. She tested negative. There was a couple year stretch after the separation with absolutely no intimate contact with anyone. I did get a tattoo during this time.

Flash forward to now. Met a girl. Was open about this from day one. She tested negative just prior to my treatment.  Here's where it gets scary. She tested again a month ago. Test results came back positive for antibodies ( very low number). Another test confirmed no hep c.

It appears she got something from me. Not sure what to think now. It appears neither of us have hep c but both are carrying antibodies ( which I believe we always will)

Both of us are in a devoted relationship with the ultimate goal of having a conventional relationship that exclusive couples have with no need for protection. My fear is that we will somehow keep reinfecting each other. Research says no but the same research says I shouldn't have passed anything to her in the first place but obviously I did.

We both want to keep testing but believe it or not... Doctors have actually advised against it saying it's a waste of money.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 04:18:56 pm by Inspectorgadget »

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Just finished...I think
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 05:02:59 pm »
Not sure how she would have ever tested positive fromcintact with you. We have had Many long-term couples here where one is positive for hepatitis C virus and the other is not, not even for anti-bodies.

Anti-bodies are not the hepatitis C virus they are created by your own body when it attempts to fight off infection.  If you no longer are infected with the hepatitis C virus you have nothing to transmit. Hepatitis C antibodies cannot transmit infection.  Anti-bodies are made by your own immune system they are part of you.

When you receive your 12 week post treatment test result for your HCV RNA by PCR which is testing for the virus itself and it is not detected this means you are now cured of the virus. You will always test positive for anti-bodies to the Hepatitis c virus just as if you either had the measles or were once immunized against the measles you always test positive for measles anti-bodies.

It is possible your girlfriend may have had a false positive for some other reason. Including a lab error.

https://www.hepmag.com/article/false-test-result-25760-476718382

If you are found to be not detected at 12 weeks post treatment there is no reason for additional testing for either one of you. Your doctor is correct.

Best of luck to you both congrats on finishing treatment!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 05:07:10 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Inspectorgadget

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 05:13:00 pm »
Thank you. I also suspect a false positive but it does make you think. I guess the real question is how careful should we be the next 3 months.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 05:28:40 pm »
Sexual transmission of the virus is not common in the setting of long term monogamous couples. The CDC does not suggest use of barrier protection for such couples.

While there is a small risk of sexual transmission, the risk is greatest for those with multiple sexual partners, in the presence of HIV, or for those who engage in rough sexual practices.

As I mentioned, there of been many people here who have been in long-term monogamous relationships where one has the virus and the other does not.  Especially as you currently test not detected for the virus on the HCV RNA test you are very likely cured at this point. Certainly the virus is at exceedingly low levels if it is present at all.

In my non medical layperson opinion for all the reasons I just listed I don’t think you need to take any special measures but it would be best for you to discuss this question with your doctor.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline Inspectorgadget

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 05:52:49 pm »
Thank you. Fwiw.. no multiple partners here, no HIV, drug use... Just a couple going thru something.  Reading the actual initial report is says " hep c antibodys "reactive" with a signal to cut off  of 2.97.

The report that came the next day ( presumably an actual hep  c test) came back " not detected) just like her first test did a couple months ago.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 05:55:48 pm by Inspectorgadget »

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 01:19:53 am »
Ok well if it was the HCV RNA test and it was not detected then she does not have hep c. If you feel the need to use barrier protection until you are 12 weeks post that is an option. But since you are not detected and the general risk is so low I wouldn’t worry too much about transmission. Still really weird about the antibodies

Best of luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline andrew j

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 08:12:15 pm »
My ex-wife developed antibodies.

We were both young - and I don't remember how careful we were.
(No condoms) ...

Transmission is not unheard of - but, as Lynn says - it's sounds like you're both clear - and safe.

Best wishes,

A.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.